SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Birds, Winds, Weather, updates from the Larimore nests

caroline94535
13 years ago

We've had rain, wind, and hail of Biblical proportions the past two-three days. There was tornado activity, but so far, none near our little town on the prairie.

I just love the prairie winds, NOT! The worst winds are during the winter. They actually "scream" and "wail". At times you have to put your head down and "push" through them to get to the car. They sometimes blow for three-four days without a break. When they do finally stop; the silence is deafening. I know how and why some pioneers went mad from the wind.

The Purple Martins hunkered down and spent most of the time in their gourds. When the winds let up they'd perch on top of the pole in the pouring rain. Today is sunny, but the winds are about at about 30 MPH. The weather site says they're from the SW, but I'm looking out my window; they're N/NW and bending big trees over.

Every once in a while the martins zoom off the rack and let the wind toss them all around the heavens. They come in sideways, over- or under-shoot the rack, tumble around, and finally land. It seems as though they enjoy the roller coaster ride.

I checked the Tree Swallow box this morning; they have their first egg. This nest box is my older neighbors' large, open, empty back yard, I mow the back part of the "field" for them; they let me set up nest boxes. It's a win-win situation. They are going to be so excited about "their" egg.

The chickadees are 12 days old and are getting little feathers. I think they're the most precious little bird I've ever seen. This nest box is up against the younger neighbors' garage.

The husband is absolutely enthralled with the chickadees. More so than his wife even; of course she has her hands full with her own little "chick." They seem to enjoy the martins, too, but they don't have a lot of time to pay too much attention to them. They're in their mid-20s, have four Huskies plus two rescue Huskies they're "baby sitting", and a 1-year-old (human) baby. They're both busy with part-time college classes, too. (Oh the energy of youth! LOL)

I showed them the chickadees when they were a couple days old. I can see this nest box from the kitchen window; I've seen him at the nest box, nearly every day, "checking" the chicks. He has showed them to his buddies; he shows them to the baby and wife. The man is so excited about the chickadees.

I showed him how to safely open the box, and asked him to not check them more than once a day so the parents won't get upset. I let him know that after Wednesday we should not open the box until they fledge.

I hope they get bitten by the Purple Martin bug, too.

Comments (4)