SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imtoni

Wood floors and our dog...your opinion

Toni S
12 years ago

I am seriously thinking about putting in wood floors.

We have two small dogs, one is getting older and has left her mark on the carpets and professional cleaning doesn't help much. It's either new carpet or wood floors. I love the look of wood floors but my dh is concerned about a few things. One, if the old dog potties on the floor, will it go through the cracks? Will it leave an odor? Which floors show more dust, less dust? Which wood scratches least? I clean my floors often and try to catch the accidents asap. I love my old dog but her old age potty habits are making me pretty upset. The younger one is crate trained but the older one isn't. For about 2 weeks this last winter I tried crate training the older dog but she almost gave herself a heart attack, trying to dig out of the kennel. She panted all the time and was miserable in there. She had plenty of room, she could see us too (as good as a dog with cateracts can). I'm about ready to put her in the spare room in a kennel at night and close the door. She will have to get over herself. Keeping us up at night, scratching the floor and crying is not an option. I feel for her but we are going to do something about the floors and she won't be allowed to roam at night any longer (when she often potties on the floor). Yes, she has been to the vet. No she doesn't have an infection. She doesn't mind the kennel during the day , she just goes nuts at night.

Wood floors might be in the future, what do you know about them and pets?

Comments (24)