SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wyorafter

Expert opinion regarding install of cork/wood floors

wyorafter
15 years ago

We built a new home and moved in almost 2 years ago. We have radiant floor heat throughout the house. I felt that I thoroughly researched cork plank flooring pros and cons and that it what we settled on for our primary flooring. We have 3500 square feet of Amcork plank flooring in our home, 800 upstairs and 2700 at ground level. Our ground floor great room/kitchen area has a large island on one side and a 3 sided fireplace peninsula on the other, these two obstacles divide the room into thirds. We have had MANY issues with our cork floors cracking through the planks and separating at seams between planks. Our contractor claims that floating planks are a bad idea for a floor in this application (radiant heat) with the multiple peninsulas. He claims our heat system is running too hot and that is causing some of the separation. After attempting cosmetic repairs and the same problems recurring, he wants to replace all the flooring with something else. The options are glue down cork tiles or glue down engineered wood. He has "generously" offered to pay for labor if we pay for the new materials. Turns out that his laborers glued the "floating" floor down in multiple places where they had trouble, corners around cabs etc. He voided the warranty on the cork by gluing the floor down.

I know this is a giant can of worms that could end up in litigation. This is a large amount of flooring. My questions for you flooring gurus....is he right about the floating floor over radiant with the peninsula/island problem. Will installing a glue down floor stop the separating and cracking of the planks?

I spent a lot of time on these forums while building, and truly value input from anyone with experience in this area. Thanks in Advance

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville