SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_in_delray_fl

Weak jets in spa. Need stronger pump?

jim_in_delray_fl
16 years ago

I'm a new pool owner. We've had water for about 2 weeks now, so I'm still busy brushing the diamond brite and getting used to the equipment.

Been happy with pool builder, but he still needs to make adjustments. I have a Goldline AquaLogic PS8 system, with Polaris in-floor cleaning, and a Hayward heat pump.

We have an 8x8 spa raised 18 inches above the 30x15 pool with a spillway. Although we have a 2 hp Hayward Super II pump, as well as a Silencer blower, the jets in the spa just don't seem strong enough. (This is especially true when the filter pressure is high and the cartridge needs to get cleaned, which seems to be every few days since the pool is new.) There are a total of 9 jets in the spa.

My question is: would a stronger pump solve my problem? How big do I need...2.5 hp, 3 hp? I also don't always want the blower on when I use the spa....but that is the only way to get pressure currently...and it still isn't enough. If it matters, my plumbing is 2 inch pipe, and the equipment is not far from the spa...maybe 20-25 feet.

I hate to spend more $$ getting a bigger pump than I need, since that will cost more in electricity every month, but I want the spa to have sufficient pressure even when the blower is not used.

I may just purchase an addition pump just for the spa, since I already have the 2 hp, and I can't return it.

Any opinions?

Comments (16)