SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlr98004

island overhang without corbels or legs

dlr98004
14 years ago

Hi - we are getting ready to order our kitchen island cabinets and I want to be sure I have the support necessary for our planned overhang. Our island layout is pretty simple: 27" drawer + 18" sink + 27" drawer. Total working space = 72". Overhang will be 15" - but with a curve. Middle of curve will be about 18" and sides will be 15" (not sure of that though). We plan to have 3 stools at the island. All soapstone/granite at countertop height.

We want to do the island without any legs or corbels. What planning do I need to do to ensure the support necessary? One fabricator said to use 3-4 steel bars under the granite and allow 1/4" at top of wainscoting to chanel out for the bars. (Not to thrilled that those bars would show from underneath). Another said build a pony wall to secure island cabinets and then use steel L brackets to support the overhang. Seems like there are several options - what is best?

The great link about stone checklist does not mention overhang without corbels or legs.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Comments (17)