SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slush1422

Island and Counter Balance install (no corbels) Pic Heavy

slush1422
12 years ago

I wanted to share the progress of our island and pictures of how we modified our IKEA cabinets to install Counter Balance supports. DH does not like the look of corbels and we really couldn't do legs and since we are having a 15" overhang on two sides of the island for seating we wanted some extra support for our granite. Hoping this is helpful for someone.

First the guys built a box and screwed in into my beautiful new wood flooring (oh the horror)!

From Island and Overhang Supports

We realized that since we have frameless (or are they considered inset?) we had to do some modifications to get the support rods in. We will also have to do a mod or two for the tops of the doors but I wasn't too concerned because those 3 doors are under the overhang where the seating is so no one will really ever see them.

For the support on the corner that 2 overhangs will be they had to cut out part of the cabinet

He also made a perfect fit from the bottom of the plywood that goes over them.

This is how many tools it takes to install an island...haha!

Everything definitely seems very sturdy and supported. Our fabricator came today to template and was even impressed. Hopefully I'll be posting pics of my Moon Night honed granite counter-tops installed by Saturday or Monday!

Comments (11)