SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike0999

Intelliflo VS 3050 Excessive Drive Temperature

mike0999
14 years ago

I recently purchased an Intelliflo VS 3050, a Quad DE 100, and a Suntouch automation controller. Everything is installed and seems to be working fine, except the following.

I ran the VS 3050 on 1500 RPM for I believe less than 8 hours, and the excessive drive temperature warning came on.

Next I tried running the VS 3050 on 750 RPM's. I am not sure exactly how long it was on, but it was more than 12 hours. Sometime in the evening, the excessive drive temperature warning came on again.

My pool is about 50 feet (or less) from the pump/filter. I have two 1.5" suction lines (I know, undersized, but old - one is a drain in an attached spa; one is a drain in the pool). The return lines back to the pool are (i) two 1.25" lines (one going to the pool; one appears to be some sort of balance line between the pool and the attached spa); and (ii) one 1.5" which actually feeds the spa jets. Again, I know, undersized. It is a very straight path between the pool and pump for both suction and return. Return lines are actually probably only about 30 feet.

When the excessive drive temperature warning came on at the 750 rpm's, I had one of the 1.5" suction lines shut off because I wanted to primarily filter the pool, but had all of the return lines fully open.

I called Pentair about the excessive drive temperature warning. I told the technician about the lower rpm scenario (when running at 750 rpms, with one of the suction lines shut), and he told me that the reason I was experiencing excessive drive temperature was because I had more volume in my return lines than in my suction lines. He said that this was in fact causing the pump to work harder.

Candidly, I am having a hard time seeing how larger return lines would cause the pump to work harder. Does this seem right? It seems like it should mean low pressure in my return lines. Maybe there are reasons not to have larger return lines than suction lines, but I am having trouble seeing why this would be one of them.

The pressure in the Quad DE at both of these RPM's, as shown by its pressure gauge, was negligible. (I can get the pressure in the Quad DE to go up to e.g. 7psi if I turn up the rpms further).

I do ultimately plan to increase the size of both my suction and return lines. But, may not get to that for another year or two.

So, I am a little frustrated because it seems like I am going to have an "excessive drive temperature" issue when I run the pump on slower speeds, which was exactly why I purchased the pump and which seems like would be the speeds at which the pump would draw less current.

My pool is 25,000 gallons.

I'd appreciate any advice or comments.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Comments (5)