SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hajbo

Intelliflo vs 2-speed for pump replacement

hajbo
15 years ago

Good day to all, we moved into a house in Southern California with an older pool, and I would like to upgrade the pump. The pool is about 15,000 gallons, has a jacuzzi but no other water features. It has two pumps, one is a single-speed 2-hp just for the jacuzzi jets, this pump is always off unless we are actually using the jacuzzi. The filter pump is a single-speed 1-hp with 1.5 SF, goes to a 48 sq ft vertical grid DE filter. Plumbing is 2-inch.

Both pumps are working fine at this time, but I thought it would be smart to change out the filter pump to one of the newer models. Our electric utility has a rebate program in place to help offset the cost. Don't really want to mess with the jacuzzi pump now, it sees very limited use.

I have been leaning towards using a 2-speed pump to be able to utilize the low speed for daily filtering operation. With 15000 gallons it would take only about 25 gpm to turn over the water once in 10 hours. I have seen a lot of posts in this forum for the Pentair VF pump, though, it seems to have some vocal supporters. I am wary of buying such an expensive pump, especially since it runs on a circuit board. Found a post of someone who had a bad experience with one,

http://gpsinformation.info/joe/PentairIntelliflo.html

This was for a 4X160, apparently now called the VS 3050, not the VF model. But still, this sort of confirms my worst fears of high-cost devices run on electronics, this guy's expensive pump turned into a high-tech paperweight even though it was mechanically fine just because Pentair has no replacement for circuit boards when they fail.

Also saw a post on this forum from last year, someone had three Intelliflo pumps go bad, he sort of got rescued by a three-year warranty, but it sounds like he just got lucky. I would expect an expensive piece of hardware like this to be both robust out of the box and repairable outside of warranty, especially if it needs a lot of electronics to run the thing. This policy of not fixing the electronics and making you buy a new pump doesn't seem like smart customer support. Someone can pay for a lot of not-quite-optimum two-speed operation for the price of a failed Intelliflo.

Anyone else run into this situation, no servicing for failed electronics? VF seems like the most efficient out there, and mechanically I am sure they rate well, but hard to justify the cost if one blown transistor turns the whole thing into a doorstop.

-Hank

Comments (3)