SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Moving lots of windows, need some hand holding

deegw
12 years ago

Although this isn't a specific kitchen question I know many of you are experienced renovators so I thought I would pose the question in this forum.

I have posted questions and pictures about this wall in the decorating forum and other places around the board so if I'm driving you crazy with my angst I apologize.

We are planning a major change to large window wall in a home we are purchasing later this month. We are pretty handy and do most things DIY so it makes me nervous to have to rely on a contractor to get something done.

We plan on changing this:

To something like this:

traditional family room design by cincinnati architect Richard Taylor Architects

The seals are broken in windows and need to be replaced. There are claps on the exterior wall that also need to be replaced. So, we are trying to combine some neccessary maintenance and updating at the same time. We have a buider/designer currrently working up a quote.

The job will involve removing the existing window blob, reframing the wall for three windows at floor level to match the existing windows on the edges of the wall, adding three transoms above the new windows and putting a small decorative window in the peak plus replacing the damaged cedar claps on the exterior wall. My husband will remove the chair rail and we plan on painting the whole room one color.

The contractor said that since we will be filling in the framing and using less windows that there will be no structural considerations. Are there any things besides the the basic framing, electrical changes, insulation, type/brand of windows, interior and exterior finish work that I should examine in the quote? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)