SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_55909

Moving in their 'stuff' prior to closing

User
17 years ago

We have received a third contract on our cursed home. Keeping my fingers crossed that this one sticks. They are supposed to close on their home out of state on 4/20 and then we will close on 4/23. They asked if they could move their stuff in the house the day before closing in exchange for not doing a minor item on their inspection list....all under the table and off the record.

When we moved into our home, the previous owners let us move some stuff in the garage a couple weeks before closing which helped us out a lot. So I would like to offer the benefit to them as well. But, I said they could move their things into the garage...not the house. I guess their agent misunderstood or chose not to hear what our agent said and thinks they are going to move in the house...as in move everything in! She seemed a little ticked about it too! Our agent reminded her that is why he doesn't like doing things "off the record".

My DH says no problem...let them move in...no big deal. But I worry about the liability. We don't know these people, they could accidentally burn the house down, fall and break their neck while moving in, etc etc.

Am I freaking out for nothing?? I'm sure nothing will happen, but it would be our luck that something would happen. That is just the kind of luck we have!! They're making a big deal about moving in that day so they wouldn't have to spend the money for the truck for one more day. I really would love to help them out and I thought we were by letting them have access to the garage.

Anybody BTDT?? What are your thoughts?? Thanks!

Comments (23)