SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Financing for manufactured home

newhomeseeker
16 years ago

One of the homes I looked at recently was a manufactured home (they call them double wides here apparently) on two acres. Had a two car garage and an above ground pool. It has been for sale for 8 months. The realtor told us that several people have been interested in the home but so far no one has been able to get finacing on it. She said this is because most banks will not give you a loan because it does not sit on a basement. It does not have the wheels and axles on it (sits on a block foundation but I guess this is not considered permanent?) Manufactured homes were big in this area for retired couples and first time home buyers because you could get a brand new "house" for much less than the cost of a stick built home.

The realtor showed us the apprasail the owners had done and the appraisal lists the property value as $120,000. This is much higher than what they are asking for this home. They have done four price reductions. My question is, if most banks won't even loan money on a property of this type, how did an appraiser (who I'm assuming works with banks) come up with such a high figure? The land is definately not worth that much.

For the record I am not interested in purchasing this home (I prefer a stick built house) but I'm just curious how the process would work? Does someone have to pay cash to buy this property or are there different loans available for this situation.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus