SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycbluedevil

Where do you stand when you open your range door?

nycbluedevil
12 years ago

I live in NYC with a narrow (less than 7 feet) galley kitchen. In my redesign, I am hoping to bring the cabinets on both sides of the galley out to a full 24" (plus counter overhang). Right now, there is a cutback to 18" opposite the range to allow for opening the range door.

When I open the range door, I tend not to stand directly in front. I tend to stand with one leg on the side and one leg in front, if that makes any sense. I find that I don't like stsanding directly over a hot oven door. I worry about balance, falling, etc.

I am looking at a BS, which appears to have a much smaller oven door than my Bosch, which means that the depth of the range with the swing out is less than with my current range. I might be able to stand in front of the range and open it with the full depth cabinets, but would probably hit the cabinets if I bent over. However, because of the way I stand when I open the door, I don't think it would be a problem, since there is plenty of room on the sides.

How do you stand when you open your range door?

For all you non-city dwellers out there, you must think this is pretty bizarre, but this is NYC, and NKBA guidelines regarding aisle width are just not realistic.

Comments (14)