SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raygundan

Noisy Transformer Hum from Easytouch

raygundan
15 years ago

I've got an unexpected problem. Our house and yard layout meant that the most convenient and easily-hidden location for pool equipment was near a bedroom. After much deliberation, the builder assured us that the equipment and the thickness of our walls would be sufficient to block any noise, and surprisingly, they were (almost) right.

The pump, actuator, pipes, and so forth make no audible noise when you're in the adjacent room-- much to my surprise! I expected at least a little bit of tolerable white noise, but it really is silent for our purposes.

That said, there is one totally unexpected noisemaker-- the EasyTouch control panel. It makes a low hum, which I would guess is a transformer. It goes right through the wall, probably because the panel is screwed directly to the studs. So I've got a few questions for you folks:

1. Can anybody else with an EasyTouch confirm that the humming is normal? If not, it may just be that we have a crappy or marginal unit that needs replacement.

2. If it is normal, can anyone suggest ways to reduce the noise transmission? It's almost certainly audible indoors only because it's screwed to the wall and producing a low 60Hz tone-- it's quieter than other equipment, but none of the other equipment can be heard indoors. I haven't pulled the panel open yet, but do any of you installer folks know if the transformer could be re-mounted with some rubber washers to dampen the vibration transmitted to the wall? Could the box be mounted on a pole or something similar a half-inch out from the wall?

Comment (1)