SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkingny_gw

Recommendations on flooring a whether to add more cabinets

tkingny
14 years ago

I'm renovating my kitchen for the first time and am a relative newbie when it comes to the various options available for flooring.

First, a bit of info regarding the kitchen - it's a 7x7 galley, that I am planning to open up to the dining/living rooms (at least, as much as possible). I'm thinking of using a medium-light stained cherry shaker cabinet. I have parquet wood flooring throughout the rest of my apartment, so it might be difficult to install wood without it looking a little 'off'.

I was thinking of using ceramic tile, but I've read that tile is cold and hard. Is that the case? What other types of flooring should consider?

Now for the cabinet design. My current plan is to open up the wall between my kitchen and dining room. I won't be able to open it entirely because my refrigerator (and range) have to go on the wall that is being opened. So, I plan to use a 24" refrigerator and open up the remaining part of the wall.

I think using peninsula cabinets above will just make it look closed in again, so I was thinking of installing more cabinets or shelves (no more than 12" deep on the dining room side). I would put a stepped-up overhang extending about 10" or so on the other side with a couple of bar stools.

My KD suggested open shelves instead of cabinets (though, I sort of think it would be nice to at least have a small upper door for them, so that I can store glassware there and not worry about people accidentally knocking things to the floor). The other option, of course, would be not to install anything additional on the other side.

I would post my floor plan, but I don't know how! Any thoughts on any of this?

Comments (2)