SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseofblue_gw

Keep Vintage Steel Cabinets or Add Cherry Cabinets in Kitchen?

roseofblue
13 years ago

We are moving soon and the 80 year old house has Vintage Steel Cabinets. But we are really going to miss our favorites: Cherry Wood Cabinets! We can repaint the Vintage Cabinets or maybe we should sell them and find some new Cherry Cabinets! We have at least twelve Vintage Cabinets to replace. Does anyone have Kraft Maid Cabinets, we saw them at Lowe's, are these any good? Or do you like some other brand of Cherry Cabinets? And are you pleased with your Cherry Wood Kitchen? Also, Need New Dishwasher, do you like your Bosch or can you recommend a good and an affordable Dishwasher? Thank you for any Ideas, we are moving in about six weeks! Rose

Comments (34)

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

roseofblue - Do you have a photo you can share? I love the old metal cabinets and as much as I love natural wood cabinets, especially cherry, I have found that everything that I have taken out of my 100 year old house I have been sad about and all that I have left I have loved. Unfortunately our kitchen had been updated in the 80s - I had no problem replacing the poor condition oak cabinets.

Do you like the metal cabinets? Have you considered keeping some of them and getting a beautiful wood hutch (or installing a cabinet style hutch) or having some of the cabinets replaced with wood as furniture or furniture style feature? A beautiful old pie safe like the one below?

• Related Discussions

Painting cherry cabinets to lighten up kitchen -- long post, sorr

Q

Comments (27)
    As a few people have mentioned before, posting a picture of your current space would really help! Painting your cabinets is, of course, an option (milk paint and chalk paint are two durable low-VOC options). However, I'd try a few simpler strategies first. 1. Backsplash. Try cutting sheets of beadboard to fit in that space. If your current backsplash is anything other than white, white beadboard will brighten it up quite a bit. 2. Mirrors. Do you have an area of wall where you can hang a mirror? To outsiders it may seem vain to hang a mirror in your kitchen, but reflecting what little light there is can really make a difference! 3. Appliances. Someone mentioned it before - black appliances will make the space seem darker. 4. Window. If you have any valances or window hangings, take 'em off! And check outside, too, for anything that's blocking light. 5. Upper cabinets. If you have ample storage space, consider removing a section of your upper cabinets. This is especially true if they're hanging over a peninsula or island. Other options in this vein include removing the doors on a couple sections, using glass inserts (frosted if you're worried about keeping things tidy), or replacing a run of uppers with open shelving. Or you could paint them. 6. Lowers. Cherry darkens over time/exposure to light, so it might be possible to lighten the tone by refinishing them and then sealing without a stain. 7. Counters. Replacing perfectly-good granite would likely be as expensive or more so than for professionally painted cabinets, but I think it would yield better results. Not an ideal solution, but still keep it in mind. 8. Flooring. Short of replacing your floor (what is your flooring, by the way?), try a couple of light-colored throw rugs. 9. Connections. How does your kitchen connect to the other rooms in the house? You mentioned you are in an historic district, so chances are you don't have an open floor plan. Do any of the adjacent rooms have natural light to spare? "Borrow" light with French doors or transoms above. Or remove a door completely (where it makes sense, of course), leaving a cased opening. 10. Declutter. A lot of extra stuff can make even a well-lit space seem claustrophobic. However, a few well-placed objects (especially reflective surfaces like a silver platter, or a small lamp for a dark corner) can brighten the room without having the overhead lights blazing. Let us know what you decide to do!
    ...See More

Need any ideas for painting vintage Steel Kitchen Cabinets, Thank

Q

Comments (24)
    CANDY RED Steel Cabinets, Oh My !! I really needed a good laugh - still grinning! Our realtor just suggested the Red color on the day that our contract was accepted - this buying and selling of our house has been a real experience, in these times - roller coaster of negotiating on both ends! Our nerves are shredded but we remain steadfast - maybe this is the reason that we just cannot decide what to do with our new, OLD Cabinets!! We need a VACATION on an Italian Beach, maybe we would see something there that might inspire us? We love the tropical, warm breezes and all of the colors that feel so relaxing! Candy Red cabinets might be nice for a visit but we need a more tranquil space, I think! Turquoise is my favorite color of blue but then I like most all of the cheerful blue shades! What if the Old cabinets were painted a light shade of Turquoise and then the walls, one or two shades darker. Perhaps the hues of the Sea will look good with the sandy tones in the ceramic tile floor! Our current house has most every wall painted a medium hue of Sea Blue with softer shades of complimentary blue in some smaller rooms and two rooms being a warmer sunny shade! May sound like a bit much but we have never grown tired of these seaside colors in all of these years! So if we use some - Turquoise hues in the new kitchen - what accent colors do you see? Maybe a bit of the Red or perhaps some Coral or even some warmer Peach? Is this why some of you have a decorator? Most of my friends ask me to help them with design but these Metal Cabinets have just been an unexpected challenge and we know that we will only want to paint these ONCE! Very tempting to sell them and order our favorite Cherry Wood Cabinets!! And we still have to figure out how to remove the old plastic wall tiles in the Kitchen or else we will be painting over them just like they did before! The new house is 80 years old, with plaster walls and lots of wall paper to be taken down, also!! We did order the new Bosch Dishwasher, today - have an Asko but DH wanted to try the Bosch, hope this works well for us. Like to have a new Frig. with the freezer on the bottom, we have that now with our Sub Zero and it is wonderful, will miss it! ANY suggestions for a more affordable, SS Frig, counter depth and not too tall - because in the new Old Kitchen there are vintage, wooden pantry cabinets built into one corner of Kitchen and around the Frig. Just wonder, should these wood pantry cabinets be the same paint as the metal cabinets, or the darker Turquoise like the walls or re-paint them white! ALL of your Ideas are so very Welcome! Rose
    ...See More

Keeping Vintage Cabinets:Farrow & Ball Paint? Need Frig & Hood

Q

Comments (1)
    It's pretty common for older homes not to have range hoods, but happily looks like it should be relatively easy to add, from your photo. You can cook without it till you get to it, though. (We've been cooking without one for three years, and previous owners cooked without it for 90-odd years before then!) We don't have our fridge yet so I can't comment on performance, but it does meet your height requirement---the Fisher & Paykel single door bottom freezer. I really like the interior and freezer designs, though again, we haven't used it yet. Needs 69" of height for venting and 33" of width (can't tell how much space you have there?), comes in stainless (and also white), and is pretty reasonably priced. We're buying ours locally, which also ended up being the cheapest option, for whatever that's worth. Good luck---and I love your stainless countertops!
    ...See More

Vintage custom cabinets-keep or replace?

Q

Comments (17)
    Agree with pal, either embrace them or move on. The cabs look to be home built in someones garage, those are just applied plant on moldings on veneer slab doors/drawers, nothing fancy or special about the construction, although well executed. While perhaps nice at the time to someone, I don't see any heirloom value in them. And yes, those hinges date them as mid '60s - mid '70s, as does the tile.
    ...See More
  • roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello, bmorepanic & spaeklekitty - THANK YOU for your great ideas...the antique cabinets are lovely! We are checking out the Omega Kitchen Cabinets, that paulines suggested...we are having serious doubts that we will ever be able to adjust to crawling around on the floor, searching for our kitchen items if we keep the Vintage Steel, YOUNGSTOWN Cabinets! With my bad knees, I think that we need more user friendly, pull-out shelves and lots of drawers! So, we will sell these vintage steel, YOUNGSTOWN beauties, in really excellent condition with Original Handles! Do you think that Craig's list is the best place to sell these Cabinets or can you suggest another avenue?
    We like the look of creamy white Painted Cabinets AND we like Cherry Wood Cabinets....have both of these, now but in different rooms! We are going to use our creamy white custom Pantry Cabinet in our new, old house, next to the Range on the right side. And there are white wood built-in Cabinets that surround the Refrigerator, already in the our new house...we will repaint these to match the creamy white Pantry Cabinet, we had the custom paint, matched.
    So, do you think that this 13' x 10' Kitchen is too small to mix the Wood finishes? We are still considering Cherry Cabinets for the 13' long Sink side of the Kitchen or perhaps just use them on the bottom, with white Cabinets on the top....this may look too busy for this space, right? But do you like the Cherry Cabinets on the top & bottom of the long wall, with the white custom Cabinets on the opposite walls where the range and refrigerator will be? Or should we try to match some new white Cabinets to our existing Pantry Cabinet? Since this Pantry Cabinet will be in the corner, it may be all right, even if it is not a perfect match OR are we kidding ourselves? Help, we just cannot decide!! Thank you in advance for ALL of your Ideas!
    Very frustrating that this average size space is over-whelming me with Cabinet decisions! Some of the positive things besides the blessing of selling this house and finding our new, old house are: we choose the S.S. Dacor Epicure Refigerator, the GE Advantium speed/microwave Oven, the S.S. Bosch, Integrity Dishwasher. Still needing affordable suggestions for a new Gas Stove to replace the black range that my husband dislikes! Since, this Kitchen does not have a Range Hood, we will use a cabinet to mount the GE Advantium, over the range. Not our favorite look but the only place to put it in this space.
    And we are leaning toward a Rosewood engineered floor, very beautiful, hard wood...love the warm color, not too dark and will not change color over time. Does Anyone have a ROSEWOOD Floor and do you like it, how is it holding up?
    Does anyone else select all these other items before finalizing the CABINET choice!? I feel like we have to pick our favorite child...never could do that! Does anyone else feel so confused about their CABINETS? Will add a picture of the existing Kitchen, Thanks again for your help. We are moving in just one month - exactly!
    roseofblue

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Sounds like the steel cabinets are not of interest to you, so I do suggest selling them. Take good pictures of their current status and configuration before you move them.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

If you have a sink cabinet, I'd be very interested in that. I don't know if anyone buying yours will want less than a full set though...What state are you in?

As to your other questions, I think cherry would work with the white painted cabs, but be careful with picking the floor. I am not a huge fan of wood cabs with a wood floor because it is easy to get the colors and tones wrong or alternatively, have it be too matchy/matchy.

It may be better in your case since it is only 1 wall of wood on wood.

If you do decide on more painted cabs, you could always do butcher block counters if you want to add more wood feel to the room.

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are the pictures of our Kitchen with the vintage Steel Cabinets in our new, old house!

Added this picture of the foyer from the hallway, just outside of the Kitchen - house is over 80 years old.
    Please help us to decide on the new Wood Cabinets and 36" max. Gas Range and Wood Floor. We will probably keep the 13' long Stainless Steel Counter-top & Sinks, in great condition, also. Do you think that we should remove the SS wall tiles, above the sink wall? Will be replacing the faucet with a new one, chrome Grohe Lady Lux - does anyone have this Grohe faucet, how do you like it?
    The Dining Room is through the doorway to the right of the Frig., where the meals are served, by me! The rest of our house has beautifully restored Oak floors except for the Bathrooms. Thank you all, very much - need to select the Cabinets and Wood Floor this week! roseofblue

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Rose, have you thought about putting your cabinets up for sale on the RetroRenovation website? There are a ton of folks there who just wait for such goodies to be posted. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: RetroRenovation Steel Cabinet Buy/Sell Forum

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, dianalo, marlene & circuspeanut, Great suggestions about our vintage Steel Cabinets, we are very near Cincinnati, Ohio, probably best to keep these beauties, all together. Good idea about the butcher block but we will probably keep the Stainless Steel Counters and Sinks. Really want Wood floor, have had a tile floor for a long time and my knees are longing for a more comfortable floor! roseofblue

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Hi Rose,

Your picture of your entry hall made me homesick for our old house outside Cleveland -- clearly the same vintage as the one you are buying. Enjoy!

Is that little access door under your window a milk door? We had one in our kitchen.

What is the current kitchen floor? There is almost certainly wood under there somewhere... I would figure that out before assuming that you need to get new. Of course, the cost of refinishing might be the same as getting new...

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Rose, others on this forum have added a wood floor to their kitchen and had it blended/matched to an adjoining wood floor. Would that work for you?

I think the backsplash depends on whether you put cherry or creamy white cabs over the sink. I would definitely take out the stainless tiles, but what they would be replaced with would depend upon the aforementioned cabs. I think subway would go nicely with the period of your home.

As far as recommending a 36" stove, it might help to give a price range you're considering--are you looking for a top-of-the-line range with max BTUs or something more conventional (I don't mean that in a bad way)?

Good luck selling your steel cabs--I'm sure there are people out there who will give them a loving home. :)

• bayareafrancy
    13 years ago

Re: floor. A couple thoughts.

Have you considered Marmoleum? It is a "new" TRUE linoleum (not vinyl) made from linseed oil and wood pulp. Gorgeous colors. Soft and leathery feeling underfoot. I had it in my old kitchen (in a 100 yr old house), and I loved it so much. It is period appropriate for your home.

Personally, I would hesitate on engineered wood floors given the gorgeous 80 year old floors you have in the house. Of course, this is just my opinion, so do what you'd like with it. We considered putting in "new" wood floors in our current vintage kitchen. We were going to attempt to copy the original floors in the house (matchstick red oak). But we knew that 1. it probably would always look like "the new floor," and 2. it wasn't even really appropriate to the age of the house to have those "fancy" wood floors in the kitchen.

So we were going to do Marmoleum again until the floor people uncovered the amazing douglas fir subfloor. These floor people were quite passionate about old wood floors and basically said it would be a crime to cover them with Marmoleum. So we refinished them, and I am so, so glad that we did. They are amazing. You might have an original wood floor under there worth saving as well.

Here they are:

You can see in the part where cabinets were removed just how awful the floor looked, and right next to it a bit of the refinished floor showing. Amazing! A lesson in not believing folks who say the wood isn't worth refinishing!

We recently built a little fridge nook just off the kitchen, and it had no useable floor. So my husband put in one of those floating wood floors. It only really shows when you open the fridge door, but it doesn't look right next to the fir floor at all. So I'm gently suggesting that your beautiful home deserves better than engineered wood. (Note to folks with engineered wood: your floors can be beautiful! I'm just speaking about putting them next to 80 year old floors.)

Hope you don't mind my saying that. I'm not usually one to stick my strong opinion out there. But I have a deep fondness for both old wood, and real linoleum, so I just couldn't keep quiet.

:-)

francy

ps I also vote for painted cabinets. I love, love, love painted cabinets. Especially in an old home!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Francy, I just looove the color of your cabinets--it's perfect in your kitchen. I also love your backsplash--is that the vintage copy paper line? ;^) Very clever.

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

eastbaymom, Yes, these are sliding doors, under the window....used years ago for MILK delivery, right! So glad that I decided to Add the front door/foyer picture...just for you! I also really like the fan light over the door! There are modern ceramic tiles on the floor, do not compliment this house, at all! The mastic used for the tiles, surely has ruined any floor below!
    flwrs n co, We have requested the info from the former owner, as to who restored the Oak floors. If she responds, then we will call them to see what they have to offer, thank you. I agree that the SS tiles do not compliment the SS counters and sinks....just not the same quality! The Subway Tile sounds great...another decision!
    The Range will be SS, great looking, reliable, self-cleaning, nice baking oven with convection, easy to use and clean the burners (we have not used Gas in so many years!) should the burners be sealed or not? AND Affordable - is it possible to find all of this for $999. or less!? We do not know enough about a Gas Stove to begin to find the right one - on our own!! We do use the GE Advantium, everyday for one thing or the other - had to use this Speed Cook Oven because we have been living in the Country with ALL Electric and that gets expensive! So since we use this GE Advantium so much, for just the two of us now, we just need the regular Gas Oven for when the children and their family are there for Pizza, Turkey, Roast Chicken & for Baking...my Husband likes to bake (real from scratch) Cookies and Cakes for them! And we do not understand the Burner choices...do not use a Wok or make candy, so I guess that we do not need high BTUs, right?
    We rarely use a griddle, rarely fry...prefer omelets and pasta! He likes the Dacor company, Wolf and the look of the high end but that is out of the budget! He even talked about DUAL FUEL....maybe I should ask him do all the cooking! I just want it to be easy to use and to keep the area around the burners clean & if it looks great & bakes well, he will be happy, too!! Thank You All for your, help....what do you all have in your Kitchens - Cabinets, floors, Appliances and colors....I love Blue, is that OK for a Kitchen....reminds me of vacations at the Beach! Wonder where people will want to relax this winter....anyone have a Favorite Beach Place in the U.S.!! Can you tell that I'd rather be walking on the Beach than spending too much on the Stove, lol, he loves our winter getaway, too! Guess we will need to find a clean, affordable, pleasant place to rent on the Beach, this winter for 2 weeks, any suggestions! Nice to think about the Beach for a moment...maybe I will be able to keep my sanity through all of the packing, moving and renovating!! Does anyone else feel this way! roseofblue

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

francy, shelayne is right...your Kitchen is beautiful and now I want Your Floor! Originally, I wanted a real Heart of Pine floor, but everyone discouraged me and do not know much about them except that they are lovely! Does anyone have Heart of Pine floors and where was it purchased....affordable?
    I am willing to keep the stove and use the money for the floors, up to a point! Cause, we can save up for the stove after we learn how to use the Gas! But we must put the floor down, NOW, before the cabinets, right!
    Is your Fir Wood Floor available, still? Is it a soft wood, how do you take care of it...scratches etc.? Has anyone installed a Fir Wood or another similar wood, in their home? We have even been looking on the Internet for a place to buy the floor? Anyone else order their floor, like this....we have a Very creative, talented Son who Installs wonderful floors & more....aren't we blessed....all of our children and Grandchildren are such a blessing to us!
    francy, what is that gorgeous color on your amazing cabinets and who made these for you....are these available or affordable!? We had white porcelain knobs, years ago, forgot about those, beauties! roseofblue

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Rose, I have the same douglas fir floors as Francy (funny, since we are about as far apart geographically as possible in this country!) throughout my entire house, including bath. We have used mainly salvaged boards to repair ours.

If you google 'salvaged' or 'reclaimed' wood, you'll find lots of outfits, but they are fairly expensive as you probably know.

There is a local guy here in Maine who sells cvg fir flooring for less than the spendy places; if your son is an installer he will know what to do with it. I'll link the Craigslist ad in case you're interested in shipping from the Northeast, but I'm betting there is someone in Ohio who produces something similar.

Also: here's an ad for a local Heart of Pine flooring that's pretty reasonable at $3.50 - $4.00/sf.
    Keep an eye on your local Craigslist and ask around at lumberyards and local small hardware stores for independent millers who might give you a bargain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fir flooring

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your new/old home...it is beautiful. Those are great cabinets, exactly like the ones that used to be in my Mom & Dad's home in San Diego back in the 50's (I think they are still there). Their cabinets were actually manufactured in SD and the style was called the San Diego cabinet with that built-in stainless steel top and double-sink (washed many a dish there as a kid). I am sure you will find someone that will want them, they are gorgeous.

Love your front entry way....very classy. :-)

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Your vintage metal cabinets are gorgeous -- I'm sure they will find a loving owner if you post them on Craig's list. (I actually love your kitchen just as it is -- but understand that you may want to make a change if you don't feel that it is functional for you.)

• bayareafrancy
    13 years ago

Thank you for the compliments, Rose and Shelayne.

Alas, that backsplash had to go. It turned out not to be waterproof! ;-D (Still working on getting subway tile put there, which was the original tile in that location.)

The cabinets were made by some local guy that I basically got through an internet link. They LOOK nice, and match the existing cabinetry perfectly, but are cheaply made (with warped wood, that kind of thing). The unit is one continuous piece (not separate cabinets), and about 7 feet long, I think. He charged us something like 3200 for it. I have no idea if that is a good price, but we were desperate for cabs and couldn't seem to find what we needed. they are painted (by me) Benjamin Moore Barley. I was going for what I called a "vintage drab yellow." They actually turned out a bit "cheerier" than I wanted, at least in sunlight. I love yellow kitchens. And blue ones. And green ones. And gray ones. And even pink ones!

Douglas Fir is normally a very soft wood. However, with an 80 year old floor, you have old growth fir that was much harder than what we have today. So my floor guys told me it was more like a "hardwood" floor than a softwood floor. Floor guys told me it is now one of the most expensive floors they offer. As peanut said, it is often recommended to use reclaimed fir because of hardness. If you drop heavy stuff on it, it will dent. I have 2 little boys, so I have a lot of dents. But in my own kitchen, dents and scuffs don't matter because I'm fine with everything looking old and loved. That wouldn't work for everyone though. I get giddy over the fact that the old wood planks are so long, they used single planks to stretch across the entire floor.

hope that helps!

francy

• dianalo
    13 years ago

After seeing pix again, I would urge you to try your new "old" cabs for a few weeks before deciding to scrap (or sell) them.
    I actually think if you did a 4 x 4 like jagarner's here:
    http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2007/06/jgarner53s-kitchen.html

and I definitely agree about considering marmoleum. There is so much you can do with it and it is so cheerful.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Just realized jagarner did subways. It was one of my inspiration pix that did 4 x 4s, yet I can't find it. Jgarner's is so nice so I am posting another like hers with subways too.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, I love jgarner's kitchen! It is sooo charming! I love that look--so homey and inviting and unpretentious! I'm going back to look at more of it! That tile--all of it- is darling!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Roseofblue - Regarding mixing natural wood (cherry) and painted (white), here are some thoughts based on my kitchen. I mixed natural red birch (as the primary cabinet run) and a slightly grayish white for the island, separate desk and pantry area that extends a bit from the main cabinets. I think it works because (1) all the areas that are white are distinct from the main counter run and (2) I choose a white paint that complimented the natural wood which had some gray undertones. My kitchen is only 13' x 12'

So it sounds like the cabinet around the fridge would be "separate" and the pantry cabinet to the right of the stove would also have a different dimension (height & possibly depth) than the the cabinet run with the counters and may even look like a piece of furniture, right? So I would think they would look fine painted. My question is would you paint the cabinets along the stove wall, or have them wood like the sink cabinets? I would have a better understanding about the layout - but I think you could do either. My first reaction was that all cabinets with counters would be the same - natural wood - and the full length cabinets (with no counters) could be painted. But you have to look at the room and determine if that would be too busy and you would want only the one run with the sink to be natural.

I also like the natural on the bottom and paint on the top, but I would do that everywhere and then paint the full length stuff. You just have to noodle on it - maybe sketch it out (even if you are not artistic ) to see where the colors break and if it looks too busy.

I would be careful of what color you choose and have a sample of your cherry around to make sure it compliments and is not too stark of a white with the rich cherry. I would hazard to suggest leaning toward a white-yellow but only if you like yellows (love bayareafrancy's yellow kitchen.) Or you could go with a white with a hint of gray/green, which could be stunning with the cherry.

View of the birch with the white.

White cabinet to left and you can see the white desk

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Ay yi yi dianalo you're keeeeeeling me. That is the style of kitchen and bathroom (tile and cabinets) I grew up with in San Diego. It pings my heart every time I see it. I really do need to do one of my bathrooms like that so I can live in the past a little...LOL

• dianalo
    13 years ago

There is just something about the simple ceramic tile back splashes (but not the tile counters) that just speak to me. I am a real estate agent and see so many of the current look kitchens (bo-oring) and dated looks ('70s, '80s & '90s)= ugh, yet the older well kept homes look classy despite their older ages. They have unashamed kitchens with identifiable appliances, garbage pails, etc.... They look like they were built and used by families here and not faux Old World, Tuscan or high end penthouse.
    I guess I am tired of everyone aspiring to the same few looks and too little imagination being used. Since the rainbow is full of colors and paint stores stock hundreds of choices, why do I keep seeing the few colors over and over when I show houses? There is more variety of choice in just about every element for kitchens and yet too few people exercise the opportunity that is before them.

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello to ALL, So very grateful to ALL of you....these pictures and Ideas are invaluable to us! Like that Tile Back splash, a lot, so classic!
    sparlekitty - just love your Kitchen, please make a copy and send to me, right away...I mean the real thing!! What are those amazing counter-tops and your floor and your Range, we still are looking for one? Do I SEE a WINDOW above your Range HOOD! This just looks wonderful!
    TODAY, we were seriously talking about cutting out a Window sized Area, into our WALL above the Range - this is the WALL between the Kitchen and the Dining Room!

This would give the Kitchen a direct VIEW out of the front Dining Room Windows and look out to all the trees in the wooded area, across the street!! Also, the front of our new, old house faces SOUTH - so all that lovely light might be very welcome in the long winters, here! Or do you think that we will have enough light from the door into the Dining Room and we should just add more cabinets on the Range Wall?

Has anyone cut out part of the wall in one of these 80+ year old houses? Is this really difficult?
    Yes, we still are giving very serious thought to selecting the Cherry Cabinets for the upper & lower cabinets on both sides that will have a counter-top! You are right, since the Pantry Cabinet and the Frig. Built-ins are already white, trying to match those does not look too great...we tried this week-end, again but were not happy with the white Cabinets that we found at three places!
    DH really likes the Adel Cabinets from Ikea but we have to try and figure, a layout using their non-custom sizes? Should we just remove the Soffit above our Sink Wall - will the Kitchen, Look Better without the Soffit? And then we can use the 39" Ikea Cabinets, right?

Here is another picture of the last corner in the Kitchen - See where the Counter and lower Cabinet is recessed about 6" ? This allows the large old door to close, where the back hallway comes in? We do not want to take down any of the original wood doors, they are just too beautiful to us. And the powder room is across the hallway. You can See the Soffit above and this only goes across the Sink side of the room.
    Has anyone used Ikea, lately - are these any good, we went to one of their large stores near Cincinnati, today, never been there before, lots of walking and looking! We have always wanted the very simple lines, like you see in the Adel shaker style and this may be the answer to the budget! These are not real Cherry Wood, which we really love - does anyone have any suggestions for finding simple Cherry Wood cabinets at the Most reasonable cost, that have a descent looking finish? We would be happy even if they are nearly natural and even with the lightest of stain - since we have had Cherry many times before and we know that they will darken on their own, in time!
    Forgot to share that we are going to try and finish the 3 season Sun Room, into an insulated 4 Season Room with new windows and floor - before the weather gets cold here!! So we really need to save money on the kitchen cabinets, we feel that the windows are just as important and we will really miss our Sun Room when we move in less than a month! Every time I think about the count down - I get giddy, scared and excited, all at once! Just like all of you, we are afraid of making a mistake on a big ticket item! This G W and All of you, really keeps our sanity and we are so grateful for ALL of the Ideas that keep us thinking - too easy to get frustrated and we want to stay positive! Thank you all, again, this help is really appreciated -
    Does anyone think that we should try to Open up the Wall above the Range, how much and how far above the back splash on the Range is good! As you can see from the pictures, there is no Hood above the Range and maybe we can keep it that way since we mostly bake or use the GE Advantium? We will be able to hang the GE Advantium under the cabinet to the left of the sink.
    Is it better to have the new Opening that will look out to the South or to have the Range hood and extra Cabinets? Cannot figure out how to do both on the same wall - guess we can take the Tall white Pantry Cabinet out of the corner and use in the hallway since it is finished on 3 sides! Then we may be able to make more room for a new Opening - but should the Range be centered on the Kitchen wall? Will try to add these Pictures, Thank You All for looking and helping us to decide! roseofblue

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

I did see you mention way above that you were considering rosewood...please reconsider...it is often illegally harvested from the rain forest and I hate to see people participating in the cutting down of the rainforest when there are perfectly good home grown alternatives.

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

krycek1984, Thank you for sharing, your right, forgot about that. Is it OK to use the Flooring from Lumber Liquidators, called Hand Scraped Teak? We are looking for a pretty hard wood with our two adorable Miniature Poodles, that may accidentally scratch a soft wood floor. And it must be affordable for our tight budget, your suggestions are welcome, Thank you so much. roseofblue

• nolasaints
    13 years ago

I absolutely love your vintage cabinets. Could you let us know what website you list them at when you're ready to sell?
    Thank you! :)

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nolasaints, Will let everyone know, just as soon as we select the new Cherry Wood Cabinets, then we will be ready to offer the vintage Steel Cabinets for sale, pretty soon.
    Does anyone have Natural Cherry Wood with no additional stain? How much darker did your Cherry Cabinets become after 6 months? If you have any pictures of your Cherry cabinets, that will be great....we think that they will look good with the other white Wood Cabinets that are already in the Kitchen, what do you think?
    Please make suggestions for details on the Cabinet design that may influence the room to look like it has been there for many years. What little detail or important features did you add to your design that you think really makes your Kitchen special?
    Has anyone found a custom carpenter that builds kitchen cabinets....please share the information, with us. We are still getting bids....do you think that the custom builder is better or the same as the name brand Cabinets? We only found one Amish Cabinet maker, so far....does anyone have info that they will please share with us....we live very near to Cincinnati, in Wyoming Ohio.?
    Any suggestions for what kind of hardwood floor will look good with the light Cherry Cabinets? Any pictures will be very welcome, Thank you all for your Ideas.

Here is a picture of the Kitchen that I designed for the house that we just sold. We like the way the feet are curved on the bottom of these custom Cabinets. Wish that we did not have to hang the GE Advantium over the range in our new Kitchen, we prefer to match the wood for the range hood. But this is the only place to put the GE Advantium in our new, old house! And it does have the vent on the bottom, so this will take care of a vent for the stove top. We have decided to use an Electric Smooth Top Range because I am sensitive to the gas and we are so used to the Electric that we just do not want to switch to the gas stove. Has anyone else used a good quality and affordable smooth top range, that you can recommend?
    In this picture of our old house you will see that we installed a Wolf Smooth Top, it is really great! The oven is an electric Fischer Paykel that bakes really well. The cabinet with the 2 knobs that are very close together, is the pull-out cabinet - we used this as our baking center, is very convenient to the mixer that is on the Granite counter. We could not decide on a back splash, so we did not install one...but I hope to add one to our new kitchen! Any more suggestions for our back splash, will be so helpful. Does anyone have their large mixer inside of a mixer cabinet...is that working well for you....never had one of those cabinets? The Sub Zero has the cabinet front but in our new house we have selected a Dacor Epicure, french door Frig. - still prefer the freezer on the bottom. Thanks again for all the suggestions, so many decisions right now and we are moving in less than one month, just can't believe that it is so close at hand, exciting and stressful, right! roseofblue

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, after much discussion, we have decided to DIY and replace these vintage Youngstown Steel Cabinets AND the Stainless Steel Counter-tops with their Built-In, SS Sinks! Do you think that Craig's List is the best place to offer this complete Kitchen, for sale or do have a better suggestion? Since the Stainless Steel Counters are a perfect match and are custom fit to these Youngstown Cabinets, it makes perfect sense to offer them together, right? We are also selling the Youngstown Steel cabinets and SS Counters that are next to the Stove.
    Of course, there will be people who want to mix them up and design their own Kitchen. We have been told that the SS Counters may be cut by anyone with the tools and these will be wonderful for a new space!
    We are going to take out the wall between the Kitchen and Dining room, so we will be using white wood cabinets, that will match the ones already built-in around our refrigerator. Now the FUN begins - this may take a bit longer and be a lot more work for us!
    But just as soon as we find a new home for these Steel Cabinets & Stainless Steel Counters, we will begin to dismantle the wall, we are so excited and nervous, too! Has anyone removed the wall between their rooms, to make the Kitchen more open? Please share your Pictures and expertise? Thank you all for any advice! roseofblue

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Roseofblue, I would post them on Craigslist AND post them on Retrorenovation (see link, or here's the URL:
    http://retrorenovation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5).

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Renovation - place to sell steel cabinets

• roseofblue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello All - we have moved to our new, Old House, very difficult move and it may take many months until everything is even Near Normal! If I missed any of your new finished Kitchens, Congratulations - I have not been able to find the time for the computer, this week! I know that you must be thrilled and relieved to have your kitchen completed, I sure will be!
    We did remove the wall between the Kitchen and Dining Room, such a plaster mess - wanted this taken down before we moved in and our Son did most of this dirty work, very grateful! And he did all of the wall paper removal & the Painting, he is a Saint and a Pro!
    Thank you ideagirl2 and everyone else for your continued suggestions and support! Yes, the vintage Steel Youngstown Cabinets and the Stainless Steel Counter Tops with Double SS Sinks are listed on CraigsList and on RetroRenovation - great suggestion. Still not sure how much to Ask for this rare SET, open for an offer! Even had questions from Canada about these Cabinets & SS Tops! This SET is in great condition - the previous owner, rarely cooked and she traveled a lot.
    We did order the White Fireclay Farmhouse Apron Sink. And are still designing the Kitchen layout with new white wood Cabinets.
    Please help us with the layout - Do You have a Peninsula OR do you prefer an Island? We want to make good use of the new area between the two rooms - about 76" in length.
    And do you have flush, completely flat Counter on this space OR do you have a slightly raised, Bar area with stools on one side?
    We still cannot decide if we should use a slide-in, Electric smooth top range in this new counter OR put the range on the same wall as the Sink - do you have a favorite, any pictures? The room is only 13' x 10', so we need to maximize the space - We are all trying to do that, right? Of course, with the old wall removed, it is already a more enjoyable, light-filled space!
    Still thinking about using some Soapstone or possibly Marble. But do you like the END GRAIN Wood Counter Top on any of our new Counter? If you have any Wood Tops, please describe how you like them and how you Take CARE of the Wood Tops and where you purchased yours - brand? Any pictures are always so helpful! Thank you all for any encouragement and advice, roseofblue

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Hi Roseofblue!
    Hope you're enjoying your new home and getting settled in. Sounds like you made some great progress already in getting that wall taken out, very nice of your son to do that!
    I prefer an island if one side of the room is open, especially if there is room for seating on the open side of the room. Many people love their peninsulas but in a more open layout, it does a little too much in terms of directing traffic, sometimes even creating a bottle neck area if not done carefully. That's just my opinion though, I'm by no means an expert!
    I don't know if I read your question right but if you're considering a range or cooktop in a peninsula or island, don't forget to factor in the ventilation, there are some really cool pop up vents. I don't know much about them but someone else on GW is sure to know. Best of luck, keeps us posted!

• theresse
    13 years ago

Thought you guys might like this article:

Here is a link that might be useful: A short history of steel kitchen cabinets