SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tam18420

Need help sizing curtains

tam18420
9 years ago

I'm planning on buying pre-made curtain panels for my living room and dining room (I think). We have standard 8-foot ceilings with crown molding. The top of the window frame is about 82-83 inches from the floor. I like the look of curtains that just skim the floor and are hung high and wide. But the problem is that most pre-made curtains come in 84" or 96" and are either too short or too long.

At first, I thought I would get the 84" panels and hang them with rings/clips so that the rod is about 4" +/- above the window frame. But I'm wondering if I should get the 96" panels and hem the bottom.

I originally was planning on making my own curtains, but it's just time consuming with kids, work, and getting a new house in order (especially now with all the yard work). And I still haven't found a fabric I like that is reasonably priced. I may end up still making the curtains in the dining room since they aren't standard windows (about 80" wide) and I find that the 54" width for pre-made curtains is not full enough and I'm not sure what you do if you buy 2 panels for each side of the window (do you leave them separate or sew them together?).

Also, these panels would be mostly decorative. I was thinking about using sheers or lace behind them and using these to filter the sunlight coming in. Is it dated to have sheers/lace behind panels?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH