SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

If your jewelry is insured have you had it appraised lately?

maire_cate
12 years ago

I posted this on the HD forum but thought the information might be helpful here too. My insurance agent was shopping around to see if she could get a better rate by combining policies with one insurer and she called to tell me that Chubb wouldn't give a quote until I had new appraisals for my jewelry. Some of them were 20 years old. So I took them to my jeweler who is a graduate gemologist and ASA member and I was stunned at how the appraised value had risen.

I'm not looking forward to paying an increased premium but I also wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them everyday if they were under insured. My solitaire doubled in 15 years and another item that has a yellow diamond doubled in less than 10 years. If you want to get an idea of what your stones might be worth you can check online with Blue Nile. You can use their 'build your own' feature and input your diamond's size, cut, clarity etc. My new insurance policy now automatically increases the value by 10% a year. I had no clue - it was eye-opening.

Maire

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Nile

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Nile

Comments (6)