SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baronfaroo

South Jersey Pool Build

baronfaroo
15 years ago

I've learned a lot from this forum so I just wanted to share some pics and info for our new pool. It's not as fancy as some of the others I've seen on this forum but it's all we really need. First, here's some basic pool specs:

16 x 36 vinyl IG pool; rectangle shape w/ 6" radius corners and cantilever edge; 3 ft to 8 ft deep; Pentair FNS Plus DE 48 filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 hp 2 sp pump; Pentair IC-40 SWG; Legend Platinum pressure side cleaner (w/ booster pump)

Our PB was a local South Jersey builder (Van Brill Pools). They were very fair about everything - they even let me alter the payment terms (after the contract was signed) and let me hold some more until the build is completed. Plus, they always promptly responded to the millions of questions that I had. They really represent everything good about the PB industry. I would recommend them to anyone without a doubt. Obviously, not everything was 100% perfect, but at least they made the effort to correct things and explain their reasoning to me.

The size was dictated by the relatively small size of our backyard. The vinyl choice was dictated by the relatively small size of our budget. It would have been nice to go with a gunite or fiberglass pool but the initial and future costs (resurfacing) are just more than we wanted to spend.

Here are some pics of this build.

Here's our (un-maintained) backyard before the dig. You can probably see the paint lines. And the remains of our small wood deck - we replaced it with a composite deck (more like a landing).

Here's some pics of the dig. I still can't believe it only took them 1 day to do this.

Our kiddos and the backhoe.

Then they set the steel walls, steps, equipment (filter and pumps), and lay the pipe.

As you can see, we went with 1.5 inch flex PVC. I know it's not the "recommended" size and type of pipe, but with a 2 speed pump and no water features there wasn't much energy savings (not much backpressure loss) versus the 2 inch pipe. My PB said the termite issue with flex pipe was solved by using a different PVC composition. Plus the majority of the flex pipe was encased in the concrete collar.

Then they backfill the walls. You can see a couple of the deck support braces. We didn't have as many as I have seen on other vinyl pools. Our PB said that it wasn't necessary since we have a cantilever edge which is supported by the entire length of the flange on top of the pool wall - one of the advantages of going with a cantilever edge versus the aluminum coping. I guess time will tell if it's true.

Here's the prep work for the decking - grid and holes for numerous deck piers.

Then the decking gets poured. The choice was stamped concrete and less deck space (sq ft) or basic brushed concrete and more deck space. We went with the latter choice since everyone seems to agree to maximize deck space.

Then the floor gets formed and the liner is put in place. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the floor since they put in the liner immediately afterwards (and I was at work). The PB says they do this so that the floor doesn't dry too quickly and crack.

Then we fill with water. This took a couple of days to fill.

Here's some pics of the equipment pad. The first pic shows the original layout. I didn't like it since the SWG was in an awkward location. So the PB moved it to a better spot.

So that's where we're at so far. The PB still needs to install a perimeter drain and laydown 6 tons of river rock around the pool. Once that gets done (scheduled for next week) I'll post some more pics. Then we'll have to work on the landscaping and lawn.

Thanks to everyone's posts on this forum. I've learned so much from all of you.

Comment (1)