SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkln

Question about listing agent duties/NYC

tkln
15 years ago

Hi everyone...I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question...we just listed our house in Queens, NY with a local agent, and one who sells a lot of homes in our area.

I've never sold a house before so not sure of the protocol. I was under the impression that when another broker comes with their buyer, my agent should meet them at the house and show them around, especially if the buyer's broker has never been here before.

We've had a few showings this past week that were with buyers and their brokers, and my agent did not show up. The broker came early and I was there to show them around, and then they showed their client around when they arrived a few minutes later.

This seems a bit backwards to me. My dad was a broker years ago and I asked my mom if he showed his listings to other brokers/buyers and she said no. But yet when my fiancé and I have looked at homes in another state (VT), the listing agent met us and our broker at every home we looked at.

Does this differ by state? What's standard protocol? I feel like I'm doing my brokers job, but I guess if it's standard, I shouldn't get too uptight about it...

Thanks!

Comments (10)