SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

Technology... Guess I'm more 'techy' than I thought!

cynic
13 years ago

The thread about phone books got me thinking. I don't get into state of the art gadgets and for me, things need to be functional. But after thinking that I don't use phone books anymore, it struck me how other things have evolved.

Dictionary/encyclopedia have been replaced by computer programs and online. The internet has been unbelievably useful.

Road maps. Used to carry road maps, atlas, a "Hudson" book but no more. I use Streets & Trips and occasionally an online map program.

Cell phone. I fought getting one probably harder than OJ but then practicality and reality set in and I gave it a try. A prepaid cell only, not fancy, no camera, no internet, no contract and I don't text or email with it. But I rationalized it for a radio program I call into often (long distance) and it gave me a second line so I could be on the internet (at the time I had dialup) to listen to the program and still call and eliminated several long distance issues. Had it at work for the occasional work need. Gave me the option to call if I had trouble finding a work location. Cost is negligible. I also put my address book into it so I always had a phone number with me. That was very handy. Could also call someone to see if they're home before wasting the gas of driving over there when I'm out and about. And other advantages.

GPS. A friend convinced me to try one. I got a deal on a refurb and it's been surprisingly useful. I don't use it all the time but especially for work it comes in handy. Beats having to map everything out, print out the maps and all that hassle. Now I'm not saying it's 100% accurate! Nope, it's not. It'll have things on the wrong side of the road, and can be off a bit and of course as roads change it's not accurate, but it still is a handy tool.

The internet. Guess it deserves a spot by itself. What more can I say about it? It replaces phone books, gives email, entertainment, reference, bill payment, filing income taxes, weather and more.

Newspapers are obsolete for me now. But in fairness, I'm not the news junkie I was in the past.

Email/instant messaging I hardly use stamps anymore. Also keeps me more updated than snail mail.

Digital pocket notetaker. Unbelieveably useful! I carry my cell on my belt in a holster and this is in a case on the belt too. As I get older (I'll blame it on age, but have needed to make notes for YEARS, uh, make that decades! And how many times I think of something while driving and by the time I later go, what was that I thought of??? or else I fumble with a pen and paper and hope it's legible and doesn't cause an accident. I use it nearly daily. Some days I use it a LOT.

I've always liked functional gadgets. But these have become functional tools and aren't just gadgets anymore.

So, what's technology done for you?

Comments (6)