SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
letmag

Animal Prints?

letmag
13 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm a regular lurker and have learned so much from postings here and get wonderful ideas for my own home from other people's inspirational pictures.

My home is decorated with mostly a traditional style, but I have quite a bit of rod iron items and dark rustic and leather furniture. I am looking to incorporate small splashes of leopard print items here and there, but don't want to go to the extreme as to change my style to safari or all leopard.

Does anyone here have splashes of animal prints or has anyone incorporated animal prints with another style? if so share your ideas. I'd love to see pics of what you've done for inspiration.

Thanks!!!

Lety

Comments (24)

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I love animal prints! I have an animal print comforter--but my bedroom is not safari style. If I ever get it picked up enough for a pic, I will post.

On the gallery wall in the dining room question thread, there is a gorgeous dining room with an animal print rug.

Recently at Home Goods I have seen animal print cube and bench style ottomans as well as pillows and throws. Those could be easy ways to add it as an easily removeable accent.

• letmag
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!!! Luv the ottoman idea, that is easy and can easily be changed if and when I grow out of my animal print phase. :-)

• Related Discussions

making (or buying) wild animal print beads

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I am new to clay working (fimo etc). I was wondering if anyone knows how to make decent looking wild animal print beads using clay. I am interested in zebra, tiger, cheetah, giraffe and leopard. If anyone has a resonable priced ready made bead source I would be interested too. Most of what I could find on the internet were about $1 a bead which is way too much. Thanks to all of you! Jan
    ...See More

Bedroom with Animal Prints???

Q

Comments (2)
    Here's mine, I go back and forth between the two comfortors..
    ...See More

Design Around 8: Animal 'Prints'. Newbies welcome

Q

Comments (138)
    First we have to figure out which door. I think I don't like Pal's for this exercise because they have a less pronounced grain than most of the golden oak I've seen. I'm thinking along the lines of LWO's 2, 5, 7, 8, 10 or 11, or the one I posted. The grain is too fine on Pal's, the color isn't yellow/orange enough on LWO's 1, 3, 4, 6, 9 and 13. Twelve is so ratty it's impossible to believe anyone would keep them (maybe they could be painted). Speaking of which, is the rule going to be no painting? I think it should be. What about staining? I've been thinking of the exercise as how to work with the color as-is. What's the consensus?
    ...See More

animal print accesories

Q

Comments (5)
    Yes to the smoke paint and yes to the rug. No, to the “animal" print pillow in the other room. From your description of all soft warm colors you have chosen, the red pillow is a bit too much. Consider a tribal print instead of animal print.
    ...See More
  • Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

Good question. :) I would love to see pics too. Currently I have a few leopard throw pillows that I got at an auction a few years ago. I have been looking at these drapes at horchow for some time and they are on sale again.

I was thinking of putting them in my living room but I am not sure I could pull it off. it is really a mish mash room with a orange/blue green carpet, green walls, DH's desk, a treadmill behind a screen, a piano, an asian huge book case thing and DH will be hanging swords on the wall (don't ask)

I have also been looking for drapes that have orange, blue, green and brown or some combination. Hmmm. Maybe I could put the leopard in the hallway. Now you have me thinking!

Sorry for rambling. :) I think my LR is going to be a disaster no matter what I do in there with so much stuff in it.

• User
    13 years ago

Animal prints are considered timeless and classic when used in decorating, but, IMO, it's a fine line of when it can become tacky and over the top gimmicky.
    A little goes a long, but that's not saying animal print wall to wall is too much--it's how it's used.

Like faux flowers/plants, use the closest to natural/nature as possible--meaning don't do it in fun colors unless your place has that vibe to start.

I would suggest getting an animal print throw to start.

• itltrot
    13 years ago

I agree with starting small. I plan to add a couple giraffe pillows to my couch once I find fabric. I love giraffes and DH won't let me have a real one so I getting pillows instead. LOL.

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

I agree, start off with a throw and maybe a pillow. I just heard a decorator on TV recently say that animal prints should only be used for accents and never as the main "decor" in a room. Then, like others have said, it gets to be tacky looking. If you use too much then you locked in a theme and that will get old in a short period of time. Use things that can easily and inexpensively be changed out as your tastes change. Don't forget to post some pictures for us to see.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I recently added a small animal print ottoman to my family room. It's the only animal print accent in my room.

• jlj48
    13 years ago

Someone on here had an animal print chair. I think it was mom2fourboys. I don't know where she got it but I loved it, and would buy one like it if I could find it. Maybe others here have seen it.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

My dogs have a leopard print bed!
    I also have a small ottoman, from Home Goods, that I got several years ago. It's a brown/white "zebra" stripe and I find that it's very versatile! I had it in the living room for a while but now it's in our dining room/library.
    That is the extent of my animal prints.

I agree with what chijim said.

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

I'm animal print tacky! :) I've got them all over
    and under. They make me happy!
    I edged my new roman shades in the den in leopard,
    and seriously thinking of adding some animal print
    in the kitchen too.
    Joann

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

letmag,
    I've yet to out grow my love of animal prints.
    I've most likely had them longer than you're alive, I'm sure!
    Both our LR & Family room are filled with them.

• angelcute
    13 years ago

letmag- I have a couple of pics I will try to post. Maybe someone else will post you some pics as well.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Like cliff, I have an ottoman in my library covered in leopard print. No fringe, tho. And I have to laugh because one time I saw an ottoman like that with legs of horn in an antique shop. I wanted to buy it, but my friend made so much fun of it that I didn't. I wish I had now!

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

schoolhouse, that was cliff's grandfathers 100 year old plus chair, his grandfather made the matching horn ottoman

here is Max at my command station

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

living room chairs...

this is the ottomon for the brown chair

more tacky animal prints...

I made two of these triangle pillows...one for this chair and one for the sofa.

• HIWTHI
    13 years ago

Joann I don't think you're animal print tacky. You have them in small accents spread aroud the room. I think you get tacky when you have them as wallpaper, bedspread, a rug and curtains, all in the same room. LOL Let's not forget a stuffed one on the bed also.

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

HIWTHI, on our bed, we have two giraffe pillows...even though we
    don't have high ceilings.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

O just have a throw:

• User
    13 years ago

I think animal prints are great! I love my orange zebra pillow--it brightens up my boring sofa and makes me smile when I look at it.

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

oceanana, we all have to start somewhere, I don't remember
    how I got hooked on animal prints, it was so many moons ago.
    I like the two little chickies on your coffee table.

memazz, that zebra would make me smile as well.
    For me decorating is all about what makes me happy, and not what's in style.
    I believe in decorating with what 'you'
    love and treasure. It so much more fun living in a house
    with so much of 'you' in the house.

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Joann, LOL, when I wrote that I almost added, "you know, no stuffed giraffe's." Only because I love them and so do others. Very cute.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

HIWTHI...LOL...

This is over my bed "first kiss"

I confess, I bought the print for my baby grandson...
    When it arrived I just couldn't part with it.
    Made the funky frame to fit between the two windows
    over our bed.
    :) Giraffe's are beyond cute.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Joann, thanks about the chickies. I may add more animal print in the future, dunno. I love your decor. Would love to see the rest of your master bedroom.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

thanks oceanna,
    I posted pic's of our master many times.
    it's quite unsophisticated and a tad funky, as compared to
    the beautiful masters posted on this forum.
    But, it's cozy and friendly and has a lot
    of 'us' in the room...It has an old family antique
    wash stand at the foot of our bed. It was over 100
    years old and very dark oak, so I spray painted it green
    years ago (what was I thinking?)
    Then we stripped it, and re-finished it to match our old
    furniture, and used it for inspiration to make two
    QS oak end tables. Do you remember the perfume cabinet we made?
    We also made the perfume cabinet to match the end tables.
    Like I said, it's funky, but it's uniquely 'us.'

If you want to laugh, I'm currently working on a design for
    an lyre inspired end table, for the living room...I asked
    Cliff, how much walnut do we have for the table?
    He said, holding up two fingers -- "you know, you need
    two husbands, the he put up another finger and said THREE,
    three, you need three husbands!" LOL...Oh, what fun!

In keeping with the thread theme...
    see the two giraffe pillows on the bed, also the stained glass in the windows --
    man in the moon holding the teddy bear is another gift that we made for another grandson, again
    I shamelessly kept it...

this is before we made the end tables.