SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Foreclosures in Michigan - finding solutions

Nancy in Mich
17 years ago

Our county held a Forum on Foreclosure today. It was a 90-minute presentation about the rising foreclosure rate and what we might try to do about it as a community. It was sponsored by some of our cities, a nonprofit that works on homeowner retention, the community college, the United Way, the county MSU extension, and various development agencies. My bank, a local bank started by community leaders about ten years ago, sent the president/CEO to address the group. The purpose of the forum was to draw attention to the problem of foreclosures and find community leaders (and real folk like me) to work on solutions.

Here are some statistics from Mr. Reed:

2.4% of Michigan loans are in some stage of foreclosure. That is twice the national average. It is up 36% in one year. In 1986, .35% were in foreclosure. In 1996, .68% were in foreclosure. In 2000, 1.04% were in foreclosure - we were below the national average then.

We all say around here that we are having a one-state recession. We are 49th in unemployment, 50th in employment growth, 50th in median income growth, and 51st in one-year home appreciation (Washington DC was the extra "state"). The national average in one-year house appreciation is 5.9%. Ours in Michigan is a -.4%. Underemployment (a lowered family income compared to years past) is seen as a direct impact on the state of our economy.

Mr. Reed said that there are structural problems in the mortgage industry. Part of the problem is that some borrowers do not understand the terms of their mortgages, especially in subprime lending. Deceptive lending was seen as a problem. Mr. Reed pointed out that independent mortgage companies now make up 60% of the mortgage market. He said that they are not subject to federal oversight. Their regulation is left up to the individual states, which have limited resources.

Some ideas for solutions were:

Better use of foreclosure prevention strategies, especially making the public aware of their options. Establishing a fund for assisting people in need was proposed. Policy changes proposed were those of the Center for Responsible Lending, four changes at the federal level :

Impose a borrower "ability to repay" standard for all subprime loans.

Require mortgage brokers to have a fiduciary duty to their clients.

Require the Federal Reserve to address abuses through the Federal Trade Commission.

Require Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to stop investing in abusive subprime loan securities.

Five laws to consider for Michigan include:

Applying protections to all loan types, protection against excessive points and fees, restrictions on subprime pre-payment penalties, fee limits and counseling requirements on high-cost loans, and remedies for violations of high-cost loan protections allowing homeowners to defend against foreclosure.

Our county treasurers office was quite proud to tell us about their programs to prevent foreclosure that have resulted in zero owner-occupied tax foreclosures in the past 6 years.

The policy changes above were copied straight off the handouts. I do not have any details or definitions (ie: "abusive"), so I cannot discuss the details further. They just ran out off time to get into details. They asked for volunteers to work on the problem and I signed up. If there is interest, I can let you know what is attempted and accomplished.

Comments (31)