SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjarz

Do You Rent Where You Live?

sjarz
16 years ago

Anybody here a tenant renting a space to live in? Do you have tenant's insurance? Here's something to think about....

Night before last a tenant on the second floor decided to have a bath before bed. Started the bath running, fell asleep on her bed while the tub was filling. 7:30 the next morning the tenant below her calls me to say she has water coming in everywhere! The tenant with the bath had 6-8 inches of water throughout her apartment, which all drained down into the suite below.

The bottom floor suite now has to be gutted, after the poor gal moved all her stuff to a storage facility. She has to stay with family for 2-3 weeks minimum as her home is now uninhabitable - going to be thousands of dollars to fix the bottom suite. The suite where it all started is relatively unscathed other than ruined lino in the entryway. This tenant is now staying at a shelter while we dry out her suite.

It was a nightmare day, to say the least.

Neither tenant had insurance. The one that started the spiral of events will likely be held responsible for the deductible on our company's insurance, and it's a hefty deductible.

The poor gal downstairs is out of pocket for all the expenses to replace ruined things, storage facilities and lost wages as she had to take the day off yesterday to deal with the mess.

I have been meaning to get insurance myself, but being a busy person just never get there. I got there yesterday and I am embarrassed to say it costs a measly $21 a month to insure my house from an event like this one or many other things that can happen when you live in rented accommodations.

If you do rent, please go and get tenant's insurance today.

Suzan J

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!