SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paula_pa

I didn't see what I think I saw, did I?

paula_pa
15 years ago

I was shopping in Costco yesterday and a mother came by with a boy in the front seat of the shopping cart. I don't know his age but he was definitely under 10, probably closer to 5 years old.

He had a short military cut and there was what looked like a tattoo on the back of his neck. Words I think. It was square-shaped overall and could have been symbols or something else.

It couldn't be, could it? It wasn't a kid's press on tattoo. It was just black ink, very realistic looking. It could have been drawn on with a Sharpie pen or something like that. I hope. I mean, people really aren't tattooing their kid's necks are they?

Comments (14)

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Are you sure it wasn't one of the removable ones? I've seen some that are VERY realistic looking.

I'm with you--hope that's not going to be a trend. Can you imagine the lawsuits when kids grow up and sue their parents for deforming them like that, when they were too young to give their own permission?

• paula_pa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Like I said, I hope it's removable but it looked very realistic. It had that slightly faded look. Fake kid's ones usually flake off. It didn't look like anything either, if that makes sense. It looked like something personal.

I wish I could get another look but I didn't want to stare and I was just so shocked.

• wildchild
    15 years ago

I hope not. If that's the case they DO need to make an "age of consent" law to protect these kids from permanent disfigurement.

I did see a really cute goth-punk couple at the store the other day. The young man was studded and chained and black denim vested and mom had a mohawk with a ponytail and was dressed in slashed jeans made like shorts in the back. Lots of piercings. They had a little toddler boy in the seat dressed in a little black jogging suit with skeleton bones on it like the ones you see at Halloween. I thought they were an adorable little family. Probably because there was so much love about them. The man was playing with his child and the couples eyes would meet and you could just see the affection between them and for their little one.

• nicole_ont
    15 years ago

Sophie got a sheet of temporary tattoos in a birthday party loot bag once that look VERY real. Just simple black Chinese writing that says stuff like "peace", "joy", "love" - stuff like that.

• grinch_gut
    15 years ago

They make thems o real like now and it also could have been one that was airbrushed on...both now fade off not really flake off...Stacy

• dances_in_garden
    15 years ago

At DD's old school, one of the parents was a tattoo artist. ALL of his kids had them, and they were grade 8 and younger! His oldest daughter (grade 7 or 8 at the time) had a TRAMP STAMP! I am not kidding.

The youngest boy had some sort of scroll design on his cheek/jaw.

The mother and father both had baby pictures of their kids, a family portrait, and various other tattoos as well.

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

Okay Dances...I have to show my age here. I'm not "with it" anymore, LOL

What is a Tramp Stamp?

Is it the tattoo on the very lowest part of the back??? The tattoo that shows below the thong strap, but above the (ummmmm, how do I say it nicely?), when the gals bend over and expose everything that should be covered by their pants to the world?

• jenni_ca
    15 years ago

We were at a car show Saturday and there was a little girl with a REAL tattoo. I know it was real because I heard the mom telling a gal that asked about it that it was real and did she have a problem with it! She must get alot of comments about it because she was very defensive!
    The little girl was 3 and the tattoo was a butterfly on her ankle. It was not a little butterfly.
    Poor kid, that must have hurt!

• naughtykitty
    15 years ago

I thought it was illegal for under 18 without consent and under 16 even with consent. That's awful. I even hate seeing little kids with pierced ears. Until they are old enough to make the decision themselves it shouldn't be allowed.

• foggyj
    15 years ago

I am pretty sure that in this state, a person has to verify they are 18 years old, or over. Maybe it varies by each state law. I think the palors would refuse under 18, period.

• jannie
    15 years ago

My daughter begged for a tattoo,I always said NO. The day after her 18th BDay, she went to a tattoo parlor and got a tattoo, a small black heart outline on her left hip. Her best friend Steohanie got an identical tat the same day on her right hip. Actually quite cute, and would be hidden if they wore normal clothes. I asked her if she wanted another one. Oh no, it hurt soooo much! I'm glad she found out they're painful. I know at the tattoo parlor they are verey sanitary, change needles between customers, and advise customers to wash with antiseptic cleanser for a week. They gave her a brochure. But there was no anesthesia, nothing to kill the pain. And they did "proof" her age. I would hate to see a small child with a real tattoo.

• dances_in_garden
    15 years ago

Caroline - yep, that is where it is LOL! Actually, I think that is a very derogatory term and usually I don't use it. It was a figure of speech to convey my message across in this case.

The base of the neck and the base of the spine are supposed to be two powerful places of energy. I can see where getting tattoos there would come of that. Who knew that low rise pants and non-existant skivvies would show them to the world ;)

Dances.

• marge727
    15 years ago

You do wonder about the parents. I have seen several little boys with Mohawks where the head is shaved except for the center spikes. At the age of 3 or 4 I don't think that was the kids idea.

• nycefarm_gw
    15 years ago

Can you say Henna tattoo? Ultimatley they wash off/fade away.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022