SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chakit

Replacing Whisperflo with Intelliflo...

chakit
14 years ago

I had my pool built in 2003 and my PB put it a Whisperflo 3/4 HP pump for the main pump. This pump handles circulation partially to the pool and partially to the spa which has a spillover into the pool. There is also a 3/4 hp booster pump for my Polaris cleaner. My electricity bills have been insane so have been looking for ways to save.

I recently purchased a device that hooks up to my electric panel and reads out is real time how much power I am using. I was surprised to find that the 3/4 hp Whisperflo uses 1,700 watts when on. The label on the motor states it uses between 5.6 and 6.0 amps at 208-230 volts. So, at most it should be using around 1,380 watts. The booster pump uses 1,500 watts when on, the booster pump motor states it uses 6.6 amps at 230v, so it is much closer at 1,518 watts.

Is it normal for a motor to use 25%+ more power than it is rated for?

Anyway, I am looking to buy an Intelliflo VS to replace the Whisperflo. I have an Intellitouch i9+3 automation panel. The Intellitouch was also installed in 2003. Do I need to update anything on the Intellitouch to work properly with the Intelliflo VS? I read somewhere that the inside remote on the Intellitouch will read out GPM from the Intelliflo. However, since my Intellitouch was installed prior to the Intelliflo VS ever existing I suspect I need some sort of update for it to display this info. Does anybody know if this is correct?

Lastly, any recommendations on what can be done to make the booster pump more efficient? Or, is there no real option right now?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (13)