SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ucorion

Help: Replace Pentair WhispherFlo with IntelliFlo VF?

ucorion
14 years ago

Hi,

First post; I have been reading the helpful discussion with great interest.

I have a 5 year old 2HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump for my in-ground pool. It has recently developed a leak and from what I can tell it requires a new seal. The parts are inexpensive and I can probably do it myself.

However, in looking at the issue, I came across the IntelliFlo VF pump. I am currently spending ~$90-100/month to run my filter/vacuum (here in San Diego, my electricity rates are between $0.20-0.30 and that is not even in the top tier!). My understanding is that I can save ~$50/month in energy by switching to an IntelliFlo VF.

The cost for the pump is $1200-1700. If I were to do the install myself (looks like it should be possible), the payback period would be 2-3 years, which I consider to be good but not great. There is a $100 rebate for variable speed pumps from SDG&E but the VF does not seem to be on the list.

My questions are:

- Are people happy with the IntelliFlo VF? What is the expected lifetime of this pump?

- Am I better off replacing the seal on my WhisperFlo and waiting a few years?

I understand that I could go with the less expensive VS 3050, but the lack of built-in controller makes it less attractive (my CompuPool controller is incompatible).

Any help would be appreciated!

Comment