SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nonchalant_gw

Should I buy earlier than expected, or keep renting?

nonchalant
16 years ago

Hi!

I've been lurking this forum for a few months, as my husband and I have been saving for our first home. We had planned to start looking for a home in June, here in the Dallas area (North Dallas, Plano, Richardson, Garland or Carrollton area).

However, I would like to have any advice, concerning the following: Our apartment lease is up at the end of July, and we have to give 60 days notice before we move out. We figured that we would just go month to month after that until we found a home, but today we found out that to go on a "month to month" lease (because they don't really do month to month at this complex), it would be the market rent, PLUS $50 (some service fee, which I can't remember right now). Right now, for our 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a sunroom, we are paying $819. Market rent is apparently $960 (and then add the $50).

So, my husband and I were wondering, if we should start looking sooner, rather than later? However, right now we have $20K saved for a house, but by the end of July we were planning of having about $30K (give or take a few). We are planning on putting 15K down (on a $115K or less house), so that some of that money could be put toward other fees and things associated with buying a home, AND so I could buy SOME new furniture. I'm afraid that with only 20K to play with, it might be a little tight.

So, any advice, on whether we should start looking now with our 20K, or wait until we have the 30K, but probably have to pay up to $1010 a month in rent after our lease is up?

Also, any advice on loans? I was planning on looking at FHA loans, so that might help with not needing as large of a down payment. And I was looking at ACORN for help, but not sure if we qualify for the income restrictions (even though we made together over 72K last year, my husband is a student, and may not always be fully employed due to conflicts with school, which is why we're trying to get into a less expensive home).

Sorry if I was a little long-winded, but I just wanted to make sure I was completely thorough.

All of your help is appreciated!

- Gab

Comments (20)