SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Free iron patio chairs? It's JUST the chairs.

User
15 years ago

Coworker's Mom has four old (but sturdy and heavy) wrought iron patio chairs. No table. I can have them for free but am not sure if I should take them. Mainly because I don't have a table and think it would be hard to get JUST a table. (Kind of like buying lamps without the shade. I'm good at that! :) ) Also don't have a patio area. No landscaping has been done yet. We'll be working on the front in the next month or so but the back yard will be awhile. I was thinking maybe my front porch but I have two white rocking chairs we just bought last year and need to stay.

Would they look stupid staggered on the porch with the rocking chairs? Didn't put much thought into the rocking chairs... If company comes over and we go out to the porch there's not enough seats. But I don't want it to look all junky and cluttered either.

Thoughts? I would also need to buy cushions.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

painting the front door is on my list of things to do. . .

{{!gwi}}

Comments (32)

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

shee

WIthout a doubt!! snap those up - they are wonderful chairs and far superior to today's manufactured. A little cleaning, nice coat of paint and some burgundy cushions, will look lovely on your porch -
    It will give you incentive to be on the hunt for a table, and to get a patio put in in the interim!

• mclarke
    15 years ago

I see something on the front of the chairs, and the back, at the top center. What is that?

• Related Discussions

Wrought Iron Chair Cushion - Source

Q

Comments (4)
    Here is a case where it's worth your while to learn to post a photo. It's helped me immensely when i have questions so everyone can see what kind of cushion you want. I searched 'post photo' & followed easy steps. On these super chilly aluminum barstools we needed something to make them more comfortable. I ordered from customcushions dot net Quality is great, price was great and they arrived really quickly. I recommend them hightly. This fabric is Sunbrella. Etsy is a great idea too. I love Etsy. Here is a link that might be useful: Custom seat cushions source
    ...See More

Any Ideas? I'm Boo Hoo-ing over my 'Free' Sofa & Chair

Q

Comments (16)
    All but 2 of the old cushions are really bad. When I opened the cover to see about possibly rewrapping & reshaping, the foam was in crumbled pieces. Some are quite worn down and have taken the shape of items they were sandwiched between while in storage. These posts reminded me that I have an old set of Lloyd Flanders cushions from my wicker set in my attic. The fabric covers are worn and faded, but the innards are in great shape, which is why I kept them. I was told at the time that LF doesn't sell covers only, so I replaced the whole cushion set. These didn't come to mind because the side cushions are curved, but now I'm thinking I can somehow "square off" those edges. Still pondering....
    ...See More

Looking for wood or aluminum patio chairs

Q

Comments (12)
    Wrought iron will rust. Any iron will rust. I scrape and paint mine every year or three. :) They are more than 50 years old now and still in good shape, although I sometimes get rust marks on the flagstone from them. We have also bought aluminum and wooden sets from HD for the deck. What we have had for the last four years cost around $300-400 for a set with six chairs (two that rock and swivel) and a table with tile inserts. They have a mesh sort of seat and arms and are very comfortable. They aren't foldable, but we could probably stack them if we wanted. No signs of wear yet and they stay out all year. They even held up under our 58" of snow tear before last. I love teak, but I like the aluminum because the squirrels always seem to chew on the wooden sets and they end up looking a little ragged.
    ...See More

Need advice--recovering patio chair

Q

Comments (16)
    Lucy, thanks for writing me off-group and giving me the heads up! (hope my reply was helpful) goodness, all these replies. Don't know why I wasn't getting them in my inbox. hm. Maybe my email program sees it as spam or something.... *off to check the manual* Thanks all for the kind words! I've had to stop awhile cuz the cord wore the skin off the *back* of my fingers. OWWWW! And bandaids seem to get stuck, so I'm just going to wait a week, then finish the next chair. My fingertips are just fine though (probably because I check my blood sugar about 10 times a day--super-thick calluses). Good thing I was using smooth nylon cord instead of that prickly hemp. shudder So I've decided to make cushions for the seat part too (as I get older, my butt gets sore faster! :-D). Out of the denim I'd tried using originally. Already has ties on it. Just needs backing and stuffing. I've been hanging out at the nearest Goodwill to get pillows I can use as stuffing. And Rhonda, yes, free is GREAT!!! penny saved and all that...
    ...See More
  • xoxosmom
    15 years ago

Those are great chairs and I am usually not one for keeping stuff laying around waiting to be used. But I say "Go For It". They are free (my favorite word atm) and can be uesd in so many ways.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Ditto the others' thoughts-- they look great and with a little elbow grease, they will look better.

Also, I don't think it will be as hard as you think to find a table.

Worse case scenario? If you end up not liking them, I'd buy them from you! See? You can't lose. :)

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

Man I would jump on those chairs like a bear on honey.. you can always use extra chairs and just sand them a little repaint them black or some other nice color and add some nice chair pads and wow you have a nice extra group of chairs.. can always find a table on CL or at a yard sale.. whew.. run and jump on them..

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

maybe you should price out cushions before you snap them up; I would put back and seat cushions for comfort.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Free chairs! They look great. They need seat cushions of course but they are easy to find. the backs look like they would not be uncomfortable on their own and were made to be viewed.

I would not "stagger" them with the rocking chairs. Make two groupings. I can see these four chairs in a grouping around a low coffee table type thing at the far end of your porch. It looks like you already have a low table betweeen the rockers. The two white rockers can go nearer the door next to each other with something smaller between them. Maybe convert a plant stand to a little table?.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair Cushions

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

Those are very nice chairs and I would snap them up in a heartbeat. With some nice cushions they will look perfect.

I don't think you have to have a matching table - they would look good with a glass-topped table with a simple wrought iron or aluminum base.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm running out the door but I'll be back later to better read through these. There is a small design on the top and bottom. Coworkers says it's a flower/vine type thing.

• spitfire_01
    15 years ago

Take the chairs! I agree that it won't be that hard to find a table. It doesn't have to be an exact match. Also, you don't have to always use chairs with a table. I'd love to have a few extra chairs to tuck into corners of my patio area. We entertain a lot, but rarely do we end up sitting around the table. Family and friends end up in chairs (with glasses of tea) talking and watching the kids play. When you complete that backyard, you'll be so glad you have those chairs.

• User
    15 years ago

All you have to do is use a wire brush to remove any loose paint/rust. You do not have to remove the actual rust just the loose stuff. The get the Rustoleum rust encaser spary paint. It is black and you apply one coat and it prevents the rust from continuing to form and it won't come back through...then you use the color of your choice in the rust prevention paint sprays...of course MY choice would be PURPLE. Those are great chairs and you will find lots of tables and coffee tables all with glass tops to go with these. Check out the flea markets and antique malls. This time of year there are so many old sets you will be hard pressed to choose which one. Good Luck and lucky you . c

• lucillle
    15 years ago

You are going to feel soooo great when you have those chairs painted and cushioned and beautiful. In fact, you're going to feel even better than if you went out and spent $$$$ and got a new set, because you will be choosing the colors and creating the look you want.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

No, I think I need them! They are awesome chairs and you could have them grouped out on the back lawn and put the cushions out there when you go out to sit. What a sweet deal! You could put them with a wooden table or a metal and glass one Mix and match!

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

I hope you got those chairs. I bought a wrought iron patio table at a garage sale today, no chairs, so I know you can find a table somewhere.

Afterward went to another garage sale & there was a glass top type patio table, oblong, for $5! It wasn't wrought iron, so I guess I'm glad I got the one I did (the one I got came with umbrella) but $5 would be hard to beat.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds pretty unanimous . I'll get em! And Funkyart, if they don't work I'll be sure to let you know!

I checked out some cushions tonight and oye, they're not cheap huh. This is another thread but I'm also not sure what color I'm going to get. I didn't see any burgundy or black. Everything was red or brown. I wish I would've picked different colors for the outside but there's nothing I'm able to do about that now.

The chairs look on the small side and the cushions I saw, two section ones with with the back and bottom, look like they'll stick out over the top. Is that how it's suppose to look? Forgive my ignorance but I never really payed attention to patio furniture. I saw just bottom seat cushions and it looked like they used a matching or coordinating decorative pillow for the back. That didn't look real comfortable though. I could see it sliding all over the place. And you have to take the cushions in at night if you don't have them covered?? Hmmm...

• groomingal
    15 years ago

Definitely snag the chairs!

You can go to fabric/upholstery shops and purchase foam. They should have a selection you can choose the height you want the cushions and sometimes they will cut the width/depth for you- some places you just get the big pieces and cut it yourself.

You can also get some outdoor fabric- the shop here carries it for $3.99/yd. You could make some no-sew covers and secure the closures with velcro- this way you can pull them off and wash them if you need. The outdoor fabric- like the cushions/pillows you saw tonight are made to be left outdoors- and yes they can be very expensive. You might be able to find some ugly patio cushions on the cheap via craigslist/yard sales and make a cover for them.

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

I've seen some cushions with that horseshoe shape, but I can't remember where. This is a good time of year to look for them though. Check everywhere, Lowe's, Garden Ridge, Target, etc. I bet someone will have some that will fit.

I do bring my cushions in when we aren't using them, to keep them from fading and getting mildew in the creases.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I googled outdoor cushions and found this site that let's you basically design your own,

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor cushions

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mitch - I'd probably order from that site. Thanks! They have a lot of color choices and are running about the same prices I saw at the stores.

Remember how I said they were free? Told her I liked them and I guess she emailed her brother (they're actually her Mom's and at her Mom's house. Her brother lives there and to help take care of her Mom) and he's saying $40 for them.

I konw that's still a great deal but I'm a little bummed because she talked as if they were free.

Would it be uncomfty to just buy the padded seat part and not the pads for the backs?

Should I still grab them?

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I don't know if you've priced cushions but that website a basic 1" thick cushion was $58. Most cushions are 2" or thicker.

Garden Ridge has cushions for $20 - $30 a piece, but you can't get them custom made.

So, you're FREE find is going now cost you around $250+ for custom cushions or $160 for basic store bought ones.

Plus you need to buy 2-3 cans of spray paint, so I'd decide whether or not you really see yourself wanting to sit out on the porch on these chairs.

I think I'd rather spend the $250 on either two more rockers or a love seat or something that went with the rockers you have already.

Free is great and even $40 is a good price if you are in the market for chairs, but if you didn't even plan on buying them right now, it's not going to be totally free.

Buying stuff just because its a good deal, is sometimes just buying stuff you'll never use or don't really need.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caroleoh - Oh maybe I didn't price them right! I did only price them 1" thick too.

You've brought good points up that I didn't put super thought into yet. I don't really need them at this point or am I going to "need" them for a good while.

I have a habit of buying stuff because it's a good deal and then I have no purpose for it. I tell myself when we do this I'll use it then...the game plan changes and then I'm stuck with whatever.

I'll talk to DH tonight and see his thoughts but I'm sure once all that is brought to the table he'll want to pass right now. I don't think I was getting through to the coworker about the price of cushions. She was going to check to see if there is any for them.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

Well, maybe I didn't do the measurements right, but it asked me for the cushion thickness, width, seat and height - so I put in 17" across, 22" deep and 24" high - just made it up.

Actually $58 for anything custom made is not a bad price, but again, why spend $$$ on something you don't need or won't use?

Patio furniture is always on Craig's List and when the time comes, you might decide you want a patio table, chaise or some other configuration, and you'll have this set with cushions that you'll have to work around.

That all said, $40 for the chairs is a good deal and you can buy cheap cushions somewhere, so if you want the chairs and can live with store made cheaper cushions, it still not a bad deal.

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

Do you have some time on your hands? Buy them for $40.00, then fix them up as said above, then sell for $80.00. But unless you want that project, I'd pass for all the reasons you've already said.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well DH says it's up to me. I thought he'd have more of an opinion on this and make it easier. ha. Silly me.

I just keep thinking "they're wrought iron". Plus I think they're cute. Ah. Does it look like the back slant? Would I need to use a back cushion as well? That may sound like a silly question but I've never sat in any iron patio furniture.

• Tryin2Grow
    15 years ago

Just another thought...you say they are heavy. Is portability going to be an issue?

I would definitely want to sit in them first. I have similar chairs and the back is uncomfortable without a back cushion - maybe these will be too - or not :-)

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Well, it seems like I am in the minority, but I wouldnt put a cushion on the back. Why cover up the great design? I should say that I don't use cushions on the back of my wrought iron chairs and I find them very comfortable (I come pre-padded though haha). When I posted pictures of them here though, many comments were about adding cushions :)

Unless the chairs are a very odd dimension, you shouldnt have a problem finding seat cushions in a regular old store-- I havent shopped for them this season, but I have seen cute ones at places like kmart, target etc over the years. You will also find sales at places like Plow and Hearth. If you want something a little nicer (and more expensive!) Ashcombes and Country Market (now called Stauffer's of Kissel Hill) on 11 & 15 (towards Dillsburg) both have cushion selections. If you havent been to them, I love both stores, but I would never buy cushions from them.

You might try Boscovs too-- not sure what they carry but they are always running special coupon deals.

One more thought-- if you really think you need some cushion on the back, they make great outdoor throw pillows these days. I would go that direction.

and $40 is a great price for wrought iron.. and I would totally go with purple as one of the posters suggested! ;)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just got done sitting in the chair. It's really cute in person! It is a smidge bit rusty in spots and I was worried about what to do with the design at the top and bottom because it's raised up, awesome and gold. I could hand paint it. It's not uncomfortable without any padding honestly but I'd only buy a pad for the seat part. I don't believe a cushion was meant to go on the back.

Are you SURE it's not going to look odd with my white rockers on the porch? I could I could always paint the rockers black.... I don't want to though. The styles are both very different.

A min. ago I was set that I wanted them for sure and now I'm like...you don't NEED them. But they're so darn cute! I think I'm most worried about them looking stupid on the porch with the rockers.

Funky - Thanks for the suggestions! I was over at K Mart during lunch yesterday and I found some seat cushions that I like and would coordinate with the house colors. Of course they only had 3 but I'm going to wait awhile to buy those I believe.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

I'd buy them only if I had a place to store them and I intended to use them as patio chairs in the future. They look great, but I don't see more than 2 of them working on your front porch.

As others mentioned, I don't think the back of the chairs were meant to have cushions and the shape would definitely need a custom cushion.

Carol made some very good points. First decide what you want on the front porch and put your $$ there instead of trying to make something work.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good point. I change my mind like day and night at times . . Arrg,not sure why I have such a hard time with this stuff. I'm taking one home tonight to look at on my porch.

I guess another question I should ask myself is if I saw them in the store for $40 would I buy them? Answer is probably no.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After alllll that I've decided not to get them. Brought the one home and sat it on my porch. It looked not good at all beside the white rockers. Much smaller in size and style. I wouldn't be able to use all four of them on the porch without it looking croweded which means the rest would end up in the basement and we're planning on finishing that soon so then where to we shove them? I suppose attic. I really DON'T need them right now and it will be a couple of years until we do anything patio wise with the back.

I also found out the chairs were from PierOne. I don't know how old they really are. They do look to be put together really well.

Thank you everyone for weighing in with your thoughts. I get all impulsive at times when something's put infront of my face at a "good deal". Free at first meant good deal! Even $40 is a good deal.

Funkyart - If you are interested in them let me know and I'll shoot you and email with her contact info. Or have her email you. Just let me know!

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me, Shee.. I (like you, I am sure) thought they were vintage wrought iron chairs. I am not really interested in "vintage" pier one. Nothing is wrong with pier one, in fact, I have dining chairs from pier one-- but I was most interested in the heavy old iron. Also, I didnt realize from the photo that the scale was so small. My other iron chairs are large scale.

Thanks, again-- you are a doll!

• funkyart
    14 years ago

BTW and OT, I never replied to your last email-- my apologies. The "you know what" hit the fan at work and I had little time to respond to emails and I was not particularly pleasant these last few weeks. I didnt save your email as a contact but the email is still out there in the billion I received and didnt respond to for the last month. I will look for it or you can send another if you like.. I can't promise that my work schedule will allow much time for emails but at least the problem alluded to above has been addressed (sadly, someone was fired-- but the problem is no longer).

I just wanted you to know I wasn't snubbing YOU-- i was snubbing EVERYONE.