SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreac324

Grad students wanting to buy a home

andreac324
17 years ago

My boyfriend and I will be attending graduate programs next August in a city about 150 miles from our home at the moment. We are looking to buy a home in our new location since we will be living there for at least 4 years. Both of us are working full time at the moment, but when we go back to school he will not be working and I will be working only part time. We will not have a problem paying for the mortgage since he will be in medical school and will have loans available to pay for housing and with my savings and part time work. However, we aren't sure how willing a bank will be to give us a loan when we won't be working full time in a year. I have heard of many medical students buying property their first year, and I don't know if this is because they have rich parents who can garauntee the loan, or banks might offer a deal if you get your student loans with them as well. An option is also to have one of our parents co-sign. Any advice on this type of situation is greatly appreciated, we are feeling very alone!

Comments (19)