SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smallkitchen_gw

Awkward Corner with load-bearing wall (pics)

smallkitchen
15 years ago

We will be doing a full remodel of the kitchen in our new condo. The kitchen opens out into a dining area, which in turn, flows into the living room. There is a very awkward corner in the living room adjacent to the kitchen, which is formed by two walls at 90 degrees to each other. I wanted to demolish the walls and bring the corner into service as kitchen space. However, one of these walls is load-bearing, so the entire walls cannot be taken down; part of them will have to remain in the form of a column.

Here is the kitchen (I have posted a couple of these in another thread, but posting again so you can get an idea of the current layout):

The kitchen:

The dining area. The two small walls are not load-bearing. The wall on the left is coming down, and I am moving the refrigerator into the dining area.

This wall (with the thermostat) is at 90 degrees to a load-bearing wall....

{{gwi:1774004}}

....like so: The GC said that the non load-bearing wall can be taken down, except for the portion to the left of the thermostat, which will have to be retained as a column. Part of the load-bearing wall can be cut to open up the kitchen to the living area, and also bring in some more natural light from the balcony in the living room.

{{gwi:1774005}}

A longer view. Opposite that closet is a short hallway and the entrance into the condo.

{{gwi:1774006}}

Here is the view of the corner when you enter the condo:

{{gwi:1774007}}

I wanted to have the kitchen countertop wrap around corner and then become a small peninsula. But I having difficulty visualizing it or even doing a simple drawing. If anyone has pictures of how they dealt with such awkward spaces with load-bearing walls, please post.

Comments (8)