SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Need color scheme suggestions for new house

jockewing
11 years ago

Hello all--it's been a while since I've been here--been too busy with new job.

A good friend of mine has just purchased a new house. Very exciting! It was built in the early 90's and is spacious with a nice floor plan. I have not been in it yet, but my friend wants to paint all the walls, change out some bathroom fixtures, etc. Basically he wants to have everything renovated before even moving in, the absolute easiest way to do it by far. The bones are good, but all of the finishes really need updating. He doesn't take possession for several more weeks, but next weekend the agent is letting us in to do measurements, pics, paint color consideration, etc. I hope to have some pics then.

The home has a large living room that flows into the breakfast nook/kitchen and the entry foyer. There is a separate dining room. Then a master with its bathroom and 3 additional bedrooms with another bathroom. My thinking was:

-One color for the living/breakfast/kitchen/entry/hallway since all of these areas kind of flow together.

-One color for the master

-One color for the additional bedrooms, maybe same as master. One bedroom will probably be converted into an office/lounge/library - maybe go dramatic here

-Perhaps a darker dramatic color for dining room

My friend likes the modern gray/blue gray trend, but still retaining nods to tradition. Sort of a House Beautiful updated traditional style. Likes a lot of mid-century stuff mixed in.

His current house has the master bedroom in BM Sleigh Bells, a soft blue-gray on the strip with designer favorite Horizon and Alaskan Husky that he loves. This will probably be the master and also the extra bedrooms.

BM Quiet Moments will also make an appearance in one or both of the bathrooms.

He is definitely a blue-lover, but I think also doing the living/kitchen in a blue might be overkill. Currently there is a tile in the living/kitchen that actually has blue-gray tones. This may be changed out for wood if the budget allows. All the trim is white and he is having the kitchen cabinets painted white (probably BM White Dove or Decorator's White). The countertop is black granite. From what I understand, the back of these rooms is almost all windows, so it seems to be flooded with light. My initial thought would be to go with maybe something like Revere Pewter or Edgecomb Gray. Maybe go more to something a little less gray like Bleeker Beige? He is not afraid of color, but I think we want to do something safe in versatile here since the rooms are so large and it would be a major undertaking to repaint.

In the dining my thought would be to go dramatic, maybe a darker blue green or a rich inky blue?

I believe the overall scheme of the house will be a base of blue gray and a linen-y grayed neutral, with hits of red, lemon yellow (love yellow with blue-gray) and lots of white.

Any suggestions on which way to go? Like I said, at this point we know for sure Sleigh Bells/Alaskan Husky and Quiet Moments will appear in the house.

Comments (7)