SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
back_yard_lap_pool

Pump Configuration and Power Question

back_yard_lap_pool
11 years ago

Future pool construction - 72K gallon pool.

Question on pump configuration:

Initially I was going to plumb the pool with a single IntelliFlo VF coupled with a Pentair Clean and Clear 520SF cartridge filter.

I could then run the pump at low speed (72gpm) 24/7, flipping the pool almost 1.5 times a day. If needed, I could crank it up to full power and flip it almost 3 times in a day to combat algae bloom.

---------------------------------------------------------

I had another thought recently though. I could plumb the skimmers (3 to 5 of them) to a 1/2 or 3/4 HP Whisperflo pump and run that 24/7, and plumb an Intelliflow VF to the main drains, cycling it for an hour or two per day to help stir things up.

IE:

Circuit #1

Skimmers - Whisperflo 1/2HP pump - Clean and Clear Filter - (2) IC40 chlorinators - acid dispenser - returns (Run 24/7 @ 60-70 gpm) (75 cents a day)

Circuit #2

Main Drains - IntelliFlo 3HP pump - 2nd Clean and Clear Filter - 400K BTU heater - run 1 or 2 times a day to help agitate the water with separate returns to pool than the 1/2 HP side of system

What I hope to gain:

1) More efficiency from a Whisperflo pump that is designed specifically to operate at one power setting (Blades engineered to run optimally @ 1/2 or 3/4 HP rather than all speeds)

2) Saves the more expensive IntelliFlo pump from wear and tear - Use primarily to run sheer descents & other pool features that need varying volumes of water, helps cycle pool quickly if needed to combat algae, etc. Can use to draw cold water from bottom of pool in winter, heat it and cycle it back into the pool.

3) Up to 3.5HP (200+GPM) at the ready to blast the pool if needed

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (6)