SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dotmom_gw

I just don't understand it....long

dotmom
14 years ago

Our dear son, Brian passed away a year ago May 3rd. He had met his wife Pam on the internet and for 5 yrs they emailed, phoned and wrote to each other. he was in business with us and when we finally sold the business and we retired, he moved out to CA from MN to finally meet her. That was in January of that year and they married in May. He was so happy with her and their lifestyle there. They lived in the high desert north of LA. (which he hated and called it Hell-A). They were married almost 12 years when he died. Pam stayed in touch with us often as we did with her. She and our other son (known to KT) as Radio Dokkktor, talked to each other at least once a week by phone. Now for about 2-3 months she doesn't answer her phone or answer emails. I was worried that she was sick or injured, but I did get a short email the first of April saying she had been busy at work, being on the night shift, but she would soon be on days again, and would give me a call. She hasn't called and doesn't answer when I call and leave a voice mail. What bothers me is I feel like I have lost Brian again. DH & I couldn't go out there for Brian's funeral because of health, so Dok and our daughter, Colleen went to represent the family. Pam said she would send pictures of his grave stone but hasn't. I emailed her, last, on what would have been their 13th anniversary on May 12, and thanked her for making our son happy, and asked her if I have done or said anything to offend or upset her, and if I did, I's so sorry. If she wants to move on, I could understand that, but I wish she would tell me. I've thought about calling her Mother, but I really try not to be a pushy meddling mother-in-law. Sorry about this rambling tale, but it really has me so very sad. I just don't understand why she seems to have cut off all ties with Brian's family. Thanks for 'listening' KT friends. Dottie

Comments (27)

• casey_nfld
    14 years ago

First of all I am very sorry for the loss of your son, that must have been very hard to deal with.

This is just a guess, but maybe she is dating someone and doesn't want you to know because she thinks it may hurt you? Not everyone is open about their feelings and able to easily talk about them (I know I am one of them), so perhaps by avoiding you it's easier on her.

• wanda_va
    14 years ago

Dottie, my heart goes out to you. I agree with casey: my first thought was that she might be seeing someone.

My son passed away 3 years ago on May 5. He and Amy had been married for 18 years. Last year, Amy fell in love with a man who has been a family friend for many years. It was very hard for her to tell me because she was worried how I would react. I assured her that she has a right to be happy, and that I am happy for her. Since then, she has brought him to visit me on several occasions, and we keep in touch by phone. I call him my "sorta-son-in-law" LOL.

When my mother passed away, Amy was not going to bring Joe to the memorial service "because of what the family would think". I talked her into bringing him, and he was welcomed with open arms by all.

My suggestion would be to call or write her, and tell her you miss having her in your life. Let her know that you realize the chapter of her life with Brian in it has passed, and you hope she will find someone who can make her happy. Finding love after losing a beloved spouse in no way diminishes the love that was shared. It's a testament to that love, that you would want to recapture the feeling. Good luck, and I hope you can reestablish your bond with Pam. Keep us posted. Hugs!

• Related Discussions

Newbie from Australia. So much I don't understand...

Q

Comments (8)
    Muscovy, I use mostly 2 LTR bottles for wsing, they are my favorite containers. Easy to clean out and re-use each year, and I've got some that are 5-6 years old with little deterioration of the plastic. I have never had to water containers over the winter, we usually have wet winters and plenty of water gets in through the hole on top. But it is far colder here and the containers are frozen for most of the winter! Re: direct sowing. I would not try to sow in the mulch. The seeds need a firm and smooth surface to make contact with the soil, and not get lost or washed away, and for the roots to get firmly established. Also, I keep mulch away from seedlings until they are 1/2 - 1 foot tall. Slugs are one of the worst enemies to my seedlings - and the mulch harbors the slugs. This does require me to be diligent about watering the babies. But I don't know if slugs/snails are a problem where you live.
    ...See More

I'm not complaining! But I don't understand...

Q

Comments (5)
    Maybe the trees were slower at getting their leaves on with the cold snap/ freeze this spring and allowed for more sunlight to get to the plants. Allowing them to throw up stalks this year with more sunshine. Just a theory. I would still move after you enjoy the show. Enjoy.
    ...See More

I don't understand clothing materials

Q

Comments (20)
    And why can't I get those great sweat suits that I used to live in? Especially Hanes Her Way? The fabric was soft and came in many different colors. Shirts had cuffs and pants had elastic waist and cuffs. I have one on right now that is 12 1/2 years old. I can't find any with that fabric now. Recently bought a 3 pack of Hanes underwear. They were all marked the same size, but one was about 2 sizes smaller. Socks never fit. GRRR! Sue
    ...See More

outside cats... I just don't understand!

Q

Comments (39)
    Well, I think everybody has an opinion on this and I also think everybody is right. Indoor cats that are never out are very happy with the life they know. Indoor/outdoor cats would never be happy with completely one or the other. Outdoor and feral cats are living with what they know and you would have a hard time bringing one inside. A feral cat has an average lifespan of just over a year and that is sad, but they are wild animals. If they live and mature outdoors, the predators loose the advantage. My two were feral kittens that we found with their other two litter mates and got them used to us. Two of them got taken in the night when they were well under a year old and the two remaining come inside our guest house to eat every day and spend the night when it is too cold for them to want to stay outdoors. It is completely up to them and they are happy kitties. (yes from a former post I told you they both have loose stools right now - I'm told it is probably parasites and comes with the territory for cats that hunt for lots of their food.) Even with that, they are extremely loving, healthy with shiny coats.
    ...See More
  • carla35
    14 years ago

Hmmmm... that's odd. I hope she is ok. I'd call her mother to make sure she is ok and then just leave it at that. If she doesn't want contact for whatever reason; she doesn't want contact.

Maybe you could send her a Christmas card and/or try calling for only very special/important occasions. Could something have happened between her and your son? Or like casey mentioned, (I mean, she should be able to hide a boyfriend from you) but maybe even she's gotten married??? Her mother may be able to clue you in...just make the call to her mother more about how you are worried about her and want to make sure she's ok, not complaining that she hasn't called.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

That is really sad and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I have to agree with you that it would be better to know than to wonder and worry. I think Karen and Wanda may be right. Do you think it would help to write her a letter telling her how you feel and that you knew how happy your son was while they were married and then mention that you would understand if she was dating again and that you only wish her happiness.

• majaco
    14 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Yep,my first thought is she is seeing someone.

• alisande
    14 years ago

I can't add anything to what the others have said, except to say that you've been an exemplary mother-in-law. I'm sure her feelings for you are still very much intact.

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry that your feelings of loss have returned, Dotmom. My first thought was also that she has found someone and does not know quite how to tell you. I don't think I would call her mom. If I were Pam and you did that I would very defensive, feeling as if you were telling on me.

I think I would send her a note, telling her how much you miss her in your life and giving her your blessing to move on, that may be all she needs to bring down the wall she has built. Or her new interest may also feel that you are a connection to her life with your son and be jealous. If that is the case I hope she runs away fast, but one never knows, she may feel disloyal to him by being in contact with you.

• Cherryfizz
    14 years ago

(((Dotmom))) and ((Wanda))

I agree with what Karen said - maybe she has met someone and wants to spare your feelings. I would send her a nice card telling her that I was thinking of her and whatever happens in her life I would still consider her to be part of my family.

Anne

• lucinda_grow
    14 years ago

I think the others are on to something about her meeting someone.Three years after becoming a widow i went out on a date (1st.time)we were sitting in a local restaurant finishing our meal and my mother-in-law walked in. She c ame over to us and introduced herself to my date. She hasnt spoken to me since and its been years. I'm telling this because you never know how people will react to things.

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

I too, think that she has probably found a new love life and is sparing your feelings. I think lynn d hit it on the nose saying you should give your blessings for her to move on. When you lose a spouse to death, it may seem to her that the family is hers forever, and she should not move on.
    It would be unhealthy for her not to move on to a new chapter in her life.
    She probably just doesn't know how to mix the old in with the new.

Dotmom, bless you for reaching out to her. I know you must be having a really hard time with all that is going on with the family right now. Never be afraid to ask you KT friends anything. We care about you.

Hugs,
    Trin

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

I am thinking the same as above, she may just be moving on with her life and doesn't want to hurt you. I'd follow Lynn's advice and tell her your family misses her and doesn't want to lose her no matter what. See what happens then.

• lauriemi
    14 years ago

((Dottie)) Perhaps she has met someone else and she could also be dealing with issues of the anniversary of her loss of Brian. Maybe she is depressed so reach out to her as others have suggested. Life is so hard sometimes. Take care.
    Laurie

• dotmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DUH!!!!!!!! Someone, PLEASE, slap me on the side of the head. Can you believe that writing her, by hand, and sending it snail mail never entered my mind. In this day, it is email or phone. That's what I'll do today, I'll write her and again tell her how happy Brian was with her and assure her that she has a lot of life ahead of her and if she finds someone to be with, I'll be happy for her. I just hope we can stay in touch once in a while. Thank you, KT friends for your suggestions and kind words. Dottie

• kayjones
    14 years ago

(((((Dotmom)))))!!!

• rthummer
    14 years ago

I think what casey said is probably right, and she just doesn't want to hurt you or is afraid of what you might say or think. I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine. Blessings.

• margad
    14 years ago

That must be so diffult. You are such a good mother in law. I do hope you hear from her soon.

• Lindsey_CA
    14 years ago

Dottie, I really don't have anything to add to all of the good advice and words of wisdom that have already been posted. My heart goes out to you and I'm holding out great hope that a snail mail letter will "do the trick."

I did, however, want to make a comment on this comment in your original post -- "Pam said she would send pictures of his grave stone but hasn't." There is a web site called Find A Grave that you should check. Since I presume you know the name of the cemetery, you can first to go that cemetery's listings, and once there, you can look for his name. For all you know, someone may have already created a memorial page for Brian. If so, there could already be a photo of his headstone.

And, if there isn't a memorial page for Brian, you can create one. It's free to sign up (they don't sell your name and e-mail address to anyone), and it's free to create the memorial page. You can add a biography on Brian's life, photos, etc. And, since you are so far away, you can click on the button to "Request A Photo" of the headstone. All folks who are members who live in the area and who have volunteered to take photos will receive an e-mail notification of your request. Then, someone will go to the cemetery and take a photo of the headstone and upload it to Brian's page. You'll get an e-mail notification when your request has been fulfilled.

(((Dottie)))

Here is a link that might be useful: Find A Grave

• dotmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yhank you, so much Lindsey CA, I;m going to try what you suggested. I feel so bad that I can't visit where he is buried. That is part of the reason I'm stressed about losing Pam, besides, she is a terrific DIL Just let me say i do know in my heart, that he isn't there, in the ground. I have no doubt that he is in Heaven and I also think he visits his loved ones still here, earth-bound. Thanks again, Dottie

• cynic
    14 years ago

Dottie, I can't imagine the past year that you and your family has endured, and again hope that this year is brighter. But I CAN understand the frustration you're feeling. I too think she may well have begun a relationship and is either embarrassed to tell you or not sure how to. I see this type of thing so often and I just don't understand it! To completely cut off communication is a terrible thing to do to someone without at least saying a reason. If you're angry with a person, tell them. If you don't feel comfortable with them, tell them. If you don't trust them anymore or whatever the reason, at least don't leave them hanging. It's a very cruel thing to do.

It's natural for you to be concerned. If you're close to her mother, I think I WOULD call just to see if she's all right. If you're close to her mother she may share some info with you or at least give you a reason if there is one other than our suspicion. I can imagine your fear for her well-being.

I have a cousin out state who cut off all communication suddenly for a couple years or more. I never understood it and it bugged me. I knew there were some marital issues and with such an abrupt cut off altogether, I was to the point I had a PI friend do a little checking to see if she was alive. I had a real bad feeling that something bad happened. Finally she got a hold of me and apologized and explained that she and her husband had been having rough times both marital and financial (which so often goes together) and she was too ashamed to tell me about it. There's been other times too and like I said, why can't people just open up a bit and say something?

If you do contact either, I would suggest you not raise the grave issue. If there is a new person, there could be an issue with even going to the grave. Some people are strange. I imagine your first concern is her health and safety. I'm guessing she's just confused.

Good luck and hope you find out something soon. And here's to a much brighter year for all!

• marygailv
    14 years ago

It may be that she does have a new male friend who is the jealous type and wouldn't appreciate her having contact with her former in-laws. It would be a shame, but it happens.

My sister-in-law remarried five years or so after my brother died. We had no idea she was going with anyone, but she came to see my mother the day before the wedding to tell her she was going to be married. She and my brother were married 24 years and now just last week she celebrated her 24th wedding anniversary with her current husband. He is always very courteous when any of our family comes to visit.

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

I think she probably just wants to move on - and maybe has. You are no longer her MIL, she is no longer your DIL.
    If you do write her, let her know that you realize that the tie between you no longer exists, that you feel it was a good relationship, and you hope to remain an old friend.

• angela59
    14 years ago

First of all, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, my daughter Alissa died a little over 4 years ago so I understand the pain of losing a child.
    That being said, while she could be interested in someone else, that wasn't my first thought. My first thought was that we all grieve differently and she could have been struggling with the anniversary. Actually the two anniversaries, their wedding and his death so close together could have been overwhelming for her. If she's feeling depressed or bad she might be afraid of making you feel worse by sharing that with you. As far as the grave stone goes, some people struggle even going to the cemetery. Maybe it's been difficult for her to go there to take that picture. I think sending the letter thanking her for making you son happy sounds wonderful but I guess I'd be careful about assuming she wants to move on to someone else yet. I'm sure there is a way to word it to let her know you would be OK with that without assuming she has. I lead bereavement groups and sometimes I've had widows/widowers almost offended at the idea that other people think they want to date already.
    Just my opinion, you've gotten a bunch of other great thoughts too, hope it helps!

• carla35
    14 years ago

Yeah, I had already commented and although I wouldn't rule out another person, I wouldn't assume that as a fact for the reasoning behind her not talking to you. It could be numerous things. I think a letter would always be nice, but it sounds like you have already tried to be nice and really got nowhere. I'm not sure why sending it in letter form will matter or make it all that much different than an email or phone call did.

I seriously see no problem with talking to her mother. Obviously something is going on and her mother may be able to fill you in. If she just needs some space because it's anniversary time.. it may be best to give her that space rather than sending letters implying she's found someone else. Just don't assume the wrong thing as a fact and possibly make things worse or harder on her.

Why not call her mother? You're both moms, you both care about her. I see no harm no foul just checking with her mother to make sure she's "ok" or even calling under the guise to just say "hi".

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Here is maybe another possibility.

Possibly in staying in touch with you and reminiscing about him and his life before and after he married, bothers her a lot, as in it makes her depressed. Sort of like a wound that just won't heal. A years time is not all that long, as you know, to recover from the loss of a loved one.

She may very well be so saddened by his loss that it hurts and upsets her to talk about him. For that reason, maybe she has chosen to break ties with you and your family, until she is maybe more able to handle talking about him, and not having to try and put a smile in her voice while talking to you and your son.

I am sorry for your loss...of both your son, and for the time being Pam.

Sue

• dotmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just an update on this situation. We still haven't reached Pam, she doesn't answer the phone, either the land line or cell, and she still doesn't answer emails. My son, Radio Dokktor, tried to call her mother and that phone has been disconnected. This week I'll write her a letter and send it snail mail. If she doesn't respond to that , I guess thats it, and I'll respect her (assumed) desire to be left alone. One good bit of news. Thanks to Lindsey Ca, I found the email to the cemetery where Brian is buried, and a nice person, there, went out and took a picture of his gravestone and sent it to me. So now we at least have a picture of his final resting place. Thanks, KY friends for your caring thoughts and advice, and thanks again to Lindsey CA for putting me in the right direction so we can. at least see his grave stone. Dottie

• azzalea
    14 years ago

I feel so badly for you--what a difficult time you're going through. But I'm just wondering, if the mom's phone has been disconnected, perhaps something has happened to HER--and Pam's just been overwhelmed? I know, when my mom died last year, I thought I was handling things very well at the time, but months later, I realized there were huge gaps in my memory of the month following her death. This year, my aunt had a stroke, lost her ability to speak properly spent a stint in rehab, and eventually we had to find her an assisted living facility--that stretch of time was almost worse than the time after mom's death, because there was so much to do, that I simply couldn't keep up with less crucial stuff. I'm guessing Pam is totally tied up with something like that, and on top of being stressed and overwhelmed herself, she just doesn't want to dump any of her troubles on you, especially this month when you're surely thinking about your son. Note--I mentioned those things not to hijack your thread or ask for sympathy--I'm fine--but to illustrate the points I was making.

You've done all you can, so sometimes we just have to 'let go' and let the other person have the time to get their own lives sorted out. Usually they come back, but you never know. Good thoughts to you--hope it all works out in the end.

• margad
    14 years ago

What a shame. I do hope you get in touch so that you can be at peace with the whole situation.