SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cypresspool

Cracked Plaster / Gunnite

cypresspool
16 years ago

We recently had a pool installed (started swimming late Spring) and have recently developed small cracks on both sides of the wall with one on the bottom of the pool. Each crack runs approximately 3-4 feet and is very fine (but definitely a crack). In addition we have had cracks develop in our decking (pea-gravel) in areas where the cracks in the plaster have recently appeared (decking cracks appeared first). Our builder came out to inspect this with the plaster contractor and he quickly came to the conclusion (like I did early on) that our pool was shifting and perhaps the gunnite was cracking / had cracked width-wise across our pool. Our builder has been quite helpful and assured us that he will honor the lifetime structural warranty we have (in writing). My question is has anyone ever experienced such an event and what are the steps to fixing? I assume this means saw-cutting a section of my pool (gunnite / coping / moss rocks / etc) and re-gunniting, etc.? I think we would want to ensure that the entire pool (not just the section cut) was replastered (Tahoe Blue Diamond Bri) to ensure a match in color.

I also think I need to pay a structural engineer to supervise or help with determining the corrective action. If anyone has a contact in the Houston area for such a service I would greatly appreciate a reference.

Should we shoot elevations and wait a few months to see how much movement we are seeing?

Kind regards.

Comment (1)