SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggity_dude

Persistent plaster cracks above doors and arches

diggity_dude
5 years ago

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So I guess I'm insane - OK, I'll own it. Anyway, I've been fixing the same plaster cracks above doors and arches again and again for over a decade now. See photo for an example. I'll fix them and within a year or less they start to come back already. All of them are near the central staircase, so my theory is that something just wasn't framed right when they built the staircase and seasonally it racks back and forth a tiny bit. The further away a door is from the stairs, the more stable it will be.

So how do I fix this long-term without ripping the whole staircase apart to reinforce it? Clearly, fixing the cracks is a waste of time, so my next idea is to cover them up. For example, if I were to cover the whole wall with beadboard, purposely not nailing it in near the cracks so that it "floats" sounds like it would work. But that would mean putting beadboard over all the walls in the house that are near the stairs. My wife suggested boxing out all the doors and arches with trimwork, but I'm not sure what that would look like.

Anyway, any suggestions or advice are appreciated!

Comments (4)