SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jescat_gw

Smaller Pool

15 years ago

Hi everyone....I am building a smaller 15x25' inground. We are at the rebar stage. Wondering if anyone with this type size pool would post pics for me so that I can get an idea of how the finished pool will look?

Thanks

Comments (51)

• 15 years ago

It's beautiful! My pool will be small as well. I am on a cul-de-sac and have a pie shaped lot so my pool is going to be more in the "side" of my backyard...not directly behind the house.

• 15 years ago

mine is 15 x 32. Close enough

• Related Discussions

Small pool pics please....

Q

Comments (4)
    Small pools are great, ours is about 225 sq ft free form with no spa. We love it and you can get quite a lot of people in it. It is a Spool ( Social Pool) deepest is 4ft 10 inches with 4 water features. No need for a spa as we can heat pool in excess of 98 deg with just solar. You can swim laps and get lots of people on those floating things, DW love the floating chair....Look at our pool build http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/pools/msg0718532217198.html?21 Our solar install http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-solar-system-install-t19278.html
    ...See More

Small Pool With Spa or Larger Pool With No Spa

Q

Comments (8)
    I would think that a bigger pool would be better. We do use our spa quite often in the winter months, but we use the big pool almost every day once it's warm enough to wade in. If you miss having a spa later, you can always buy a hot tub (and close it in the summer months like my neighbor). Since the heating is going to be a problem, that might be the best way to go anyway. We were lucky that we had gas to our house, oddly, just to the water heater in the garage (I suppose electric ranges were all the rage in 1970), which we extended into the house when we remodeled the kitchen and laundry room for a gas range and dryer, and now along the side of the house to the spa heater. We have Artistic Pavers Shellock, which are pretty cool in the hot sun (compared to regular pavers) and expensive, but we end up using flip flops almost all the time anyway. We don't want to track grass or dirt into the pool and we need them for the shell under our tiki hut, so the deck isn't as important as I thought it would be. We also got a removable hand-rail offset at the main steps that we thought would be for when in-laws visit, but we ended up never taking it out. We use it for hanging towels that we grab as we step out into our flip flops. The fact that it's off-set instead of smack in the middle of the steps is really great. Anyway, biggest thing to think about is how YOU really expect to use the pool. If you are building it for your own young kids - remember they grow up fast you will be stuck with a pool you won't use for yourself once they're out of the house, so if YOU want a spa, get the spa. I was warned off of building a pool by lots and lots of people who had them for their kids - but our pool was really for me, and now my hubby uses it more than I do! The teens and their friends are just a temporary bonus. And the salt system is so easy to maintain, a happy surprise.
    ...See More

new here, planning a pool, need help in Ohio

Q

Comments (1)
    Congratulations on your decision! We are also currently building our 1st pool. Some of the pre-planning my husband and I completed before selecting a PB: 1) Checked the Better Business Bureau and state licensing bureau for complaints, fines, suspensions; 2) Pulled permit listings in the general area to determine frequency of PB being used; 3) Obtained 4-5 quotes and asked for personal and vendor references along with evidence of insurance/bond ~ make sure you call on the references; 4) We asked friends and family for recommendations ~ word of mouth is the best form of advertising. :) Surfing the web and reading forums such as this one helped to educate us prior to consulting with each PB. So far we are happy with the PB we selected. They have been in our general area for over 50 years and have a long track record both residentially and commerically. Good Luck!
    ...See More

1970s Pool Renovation (Aztec Pool)- Need advice and pool contractor

Q

Comments (1)
    You might consider posting on trouble free pools. I have found the forum helpful for finding pool contractors.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Here's some pictures of ours. It measures 15' wide x 21' long with the elevated spa being a 7' teardrop design. Good luck with your project!

By the way, our pool is now two years old, so the landscaping is much more mature and full!

Regards,

Mike

• 15 years ago

Wow...all of these pools are gorgeous!!! I wish I would have found this site before!
    mkfmedic: I love the landscaping, what a beautiful pool and patio you have.

madelineg_2007....love the pepple work around your pool walls....you truly created an oasis back there!

busyredhead: great size pool, your family seems to really enjoy it.

I will definitely post more pictures as the progress develops. I'd love to have input from you fellow "small pool" owners!

Thanks

• 15 years ago

To mkfmedic...I love your pool and the water color is exactly what we're looking for. What did you use on the bottom? We're thinking of Carribean Blue Colorquartz with either medium or dark gray plaster...any suggestions?

• 15 years ago

Here's ours a 14x25 fiberglass. We had to go small to squeeze in the only area available. It's may be small, but it does the trick.

• 15 years ago

Love2weed, my pool will be 12 x26, so I feel ya. Thanks for showing us possibilities. Your yard is beautiful!

• 15 years ago

love2weed: Great landscaping. The pool fits perfectly in your yard. It looks like you have a nice area to entertain also. We just had the gunite in today, I will post pictues later.... Thanks for sharing your pics :)

• 15 years ago

Jescat! How exciting! Gunite today! I am supposed to be having three large trees cut today....and the guy (who was supposed to be here "first thing Tuesday morning" is not here yet...it is after noon. he is not affiliated with my PB, but I hope this is no indication of how my build is going to go.

• 15 years ago

readyami: I know that feeling...we've redone the kitchen and one of the bathrooms here and that is exactly how it went for us. It just seems it's part of the process. I must say that in regards to the pool build, it has been different. My PB has been on time with appt's and with work schedule (so far). He told me yesterday that I could expect to be swimming in 2.5 to 3 weeks!!! So excited, I've never owned a pool before....

• 15 years ago

Wow!
    Just heard from tree guy, he had an unexpected death in the family (motorcycle accident), so I guess we forgive him (feel bad now). He will be here Thursday or Friday.

• 15 years ago

That is terrible! What part of the country are you in?

• 15 years ago

Deep, deep south. Mississippi.

• 15 years ago

Oh Ok. I was asking bcuz my one of my fiancee's friends also passed from a motorcycle accident over the weekend. How terrible......

• 15 years ago

Waynespool,

Thanks for the compliment. The pool finish is Stonescapes MiniPebble, Midnight Blue. We really like it the minipebble which is similar to the pebble sheen product. Our rock is boquet canyon stone and the coping is concrete with a top beveled edge. We really enjoy the color combinations and it changes throughout the day as the sun shifts throughout the sky.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,

Mike

• 15 years ago

Have gunite already, the process is flowing...PB says we should be swimming in about 2.5 to 3 weeks!

• 15 years ago

Oh, Jescat, I know you are excited! We talked to someone today who has had a fiberglass pool by our same pool manufacturer, put in by the same PB we are using, for three years and they love it. It is a bit bigger than ours (ok, a lot bigger) at 14"8" x32. I am a little jealous of the size. I hope we are going to be happy with the smaller pool....but I know the yard is more than "just the pool." We actually have a great design for an outdoor fireplace that we have found, and the person to build it. Actually, this whole process started with me "just" wanting a fire pit and a patio. So, I guess 12x26 is better than nothing.

• 15 years ago

Here is my 14 x 23 gunite pool. I don't have landscaping yet. Both are night shots, one from inside the pool.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Very pretty! I like your decking, what is it? The tile work is beautiful.

• 15 years ago

Thanks. The tile work was pretty stressful. There is so much of it and I was never really sure how it would look. I held off tiling the raised bed walls until the spa was done because I thought it might be too much tile, but I really do like how it turned out. The coping is Oklahoma flag. The decking is stamped concrete. Here is a closeup.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

What color additive is in the concrete? I REALLY like the color, that's what I'm looking for.

• 15 years ago

stephcrow: Beautiful pool... Im going with brick pavers for decking and coping. Would love to do tile or fla, but the budget just doesn't allow for it. There are so many nice choices, but all these upgrades really add up! Do you have any more pics?

• 15 years ago

readyami: Just the fact of having a pool in the backyard will turn it into a retreat! The fireplace sounds wonderful. I too am looking into buying one of those fire pits, like at home depot. Since we live in Miami, it really will only be used minimally.

• 15 years ago

I don't have any idea on the coloring used in my deck, my PB had done this deck before and just had me go look at it in person. If you want some more detailed pictures to show your PB let me know.

Here are a few more pictures of my pool. Since the yard is so small, it is hard to get a good shot of the entire pool all at once. Plus, without landscaping it is pretty dull. I am having trouble deciding how to fill the rather small beds. My favorite thing overall is my 10' hot tub and my little crawfish glass mosiac.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

I really like the mosaic tile you chose! We are doing something similar for waterline. The beds do look tight...have you considered contacting a landscaper for ideas and then just doing it your self? Some colorful plants might just do the trick. Our PB told me that this Monday plumbing will happen and then electrical, tile and coping. Hope that means we are closer to swimming time!!Thanks for sharing your photos, the pool is wonderful!

• 15 years ago

readyami, we also live in Mississippi, on the Coast. If you are on the Coast, do you mind me asking who is your PB?

We were interested in adding a small pool and/or water feature to our narrow backyard. After a few quotes we received in the spring, we were disheartened and gave up. Maybe in the fall, we'll start thinking about it again. It may be impossible or we may have to settle on a fountain. Plus side is we have a great outdoor fireplace/cooking area and back porch, so it's not all bad.

Here's the tiny area, in the corner by the fireplace, that we have to work with......not much to play with, is it? Y'all just THOUGHT your pool areas were small - ha!

{{gwi:1016530}}

• 15 years ago

Wodka...I live in Brandon, near Jackson. I have close relatives on the coast, and my parents just moved up here after Katrina.

• 15 years ago

Wodka: looks like you could do a long slender lap type pool. Just a thought! Beautiful yard....

• 15 years ago

jescat - thank you. We've thought about a small lap type pool (or a "spool?") Also, this pic caught my eye when we first started building the house, and I thought something similar would look nice, but just haven't found the right person to work with us yet. We could extend the stamped concrete patio and do a small waterfall.....maybe in the fall, we'll have better luck in finding someone.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Wodka, That is a beautiful pic, I love the stones and the patio, the colors look great. Keep looking...you'll find someone to build it. I think spools are a great option for narrow areas. Can you post a pic of your fireplace area?

I can't believe it! DH had a major change of heart over the last few days/weekend. He is calling the PB in the morning to see if we can change to the 15x32 pool instead of the 12x26. I am VERY excited at the prospect! We are still 3 weeks before starting, so this could actually work! By eliminating the slide we were planning, the bigger pool will be less than $3K more. I really hope it is not too late to go with the bigger pool -- certainly they don't build these things that far in advance, or can't sell the other one. It is a common size and color from what PB had told us. We had our arbor guy here this afternoon to help us plan the patio/arbor/fireplace area, and I feel a lot better that his ideas were close to what I had been thinking. I will let y'all know what the PB says tomorrow morning!!! We found a really neat design for a combo firepit/fireplace that can be enjoyed from all 4 sides....we are considering this one.
    {{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

readyami, here's a picture of our fireplace, etc. Small world. My brother-in-law and his family live in Brandon; my mother lives in Flowood. Brother-in-law just added an infinity pool to his existing pool (he lives in Buckingham Estates, in the reservoir area.) If I could figure out how to post pics of his new pool addition, I will.

Meanwhile, here's our humble abode. Congratulations on your pool plans - I know you are excited! Keep us posted!

{{gwi:1522066}}

• 15 years ago

OOh, I love it! The pergola with the iron posts is great (I am a big wrought iron fan), and I love the black countertops. What size is your patio area?
    I was in Buckingham very recently, and I think I may know the exact pool you are talking about, though of course I've only admired it in "drive by" fashion. It is a beautiful setup. There were actually people in it when we've been by. Their next-door neighbors have a pool as well, yes?

• 15 years ago

Readyami, the bigger size you're considering is about the size of our pool. It's a great size, not too big, not too small :-) Here's a pic:

If you can fit the slide but just cut it due to budget, consider having the PB install a water stub for a future slide. That's what we did, it cost 150 bucks extra. We bought a slide off the internet later and installed it ourselves.

• 15 years ago

thanks, that's a good idea. DH actually mentioned that.

• 15 years ago

readyami: WOW! How exciting the idea of the bigger pool..I agree about foregoing the slide in order to get more pool sq ftg. Let us know what happens...:)

• 15 years ago

Still waiting on PB. DH talked to him yesterday morning, but figures were not what we expected when his secretary called back with the new proposed figures. The good news is we DO have a little wiggle room and aren't locked in on the model yet. We are awaiting a call back from him to see why the numbers were so different than what we had figured.. My tree guy is supposed to be here TOMORROW to cut the three large trees (yes, again, another promise to show up). I hate to lose one of them (a white oak), but the other two I won't miss (pine and sweetgum). I have plenty of trees left, so I am okay with cutting some. I moved some landscape shrubs today from the corner of the house where the new patio will be. My problem is not that my yard is small -- it's just a wierd shape LOL. I never realized how big it was until I made a scale drawing of it. We have a huge area of the yard that is "au naturel" with cedars, oaks, dogwoods, etc. That will stay as is.

• 15 years ago

readyami, yes, that's probably my brother-in-law's house/pool, and that was probably them and/or their daughter and her friends in it. It's a beautiful area.

Here is the landscaper's sketch that he, (the landscaper), my husband, and the builder came up with for our fireplace/cooking area. I don't know if it's any help or not, but there are some dimensions, if that gives you an idea....

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Jescat, I am sorry we have hijacked your thread! Is anything new going on with your pool? It's been almost a week since your last pics..

Wodka, yours is one of my favorite fireplace/kitchen areas I have seen, right up there with Sharla, and they are night and day from each other. Again, I really like the iron and the black accents. You added the pergola after this drawing...I wish I were a better artist!

I am really getting excited, DH just talked to PB. Bigger pool is a go (different model than we had proposed, but upgrade price was what we had settled on)! Works out to about 195.7 sf more inside area.

• 15 years ago

Also, my apologies for sidetracking....

readyami, again, congrats on your larger pool. I'll check back when y'all are done. Meanwhile, I'll still dream about my mini-pool, if there is such a thing!

• 15 years ago

There is no such thing as "sidetracking" or "hijacking". I am just excited that we've all enjoyed this thread to discuss our plans and progress!!!!!! Let's keep it going...

readyami, though I am not sure if you'll still be allowed to participate in the "smaller pools" thread with that whopper of a new size pool!! Ha....just KIDDING.

wodka: love the outdoor entertainment area. That will be my next project after the pool is done and I recover.....
    (finacially).

We just got plumbing installed today and coping is sitting in the front lawn. So, nothing really exciting to post. PB said electrical, tile and coping were going in before weeks end....we'll see and I'll definitely post pics.

Cheers! :)

• 15 years ago

Jescat, what are you doing for coping? I forgot. Plumbing is a big deal, you are getting closer!
    I know, the pool is good bit bigger. I can't believe it! But, according to tresw, his pool is small, so that will qualify me! Mine is still smaller than his 16x32.
    Wodka...there are plenty of smaller pools out there. Don't give up. You can make it work. I have seen some great pictures of spools on here!

• 15 years ago

hey readyami...doing just regular brick paver coping, the bullnose style. Would have like to do something fancier, but budget contraints you know..... :)

We are getting closer, can't wait to swim though!

• 15 years ago

We now have Waterline Tile and coping!! It's getting closer! Here are some pics....

• 15 years ago

OOOHHHHH I am really liking that combo. The tiles and beautiful...I like your coping, too.

• 15 years ago

I hired a landscape company to create a plan for me. I ended up spending $300 for a plan that I am not too happy with. Not crazy about the plants and it is too crowded. I also think I am just burned out on contractors, decisions, delays, writing checks, etc. I am going to decide on a couple of trees for the corners and then just do the rest as I get inspired. Maybe by spring time I will be done. I am eventually going to install some really large pots with trees along the fence line behind the patio to cut down the vast expanse of concrete back there. Of course then I am going to have to deal with some type of drip irrigation. Wondering if I will ever finish.

• 15 years ago

readyami: Thanks! We too are pleased with the way it turned out.

stephcrow: I agree with doing yourself, it might take a bit longer, but the savings are worth it. Are we ever really done with home projects? :)

• 15 years ago

Hello: Happy to report we have pavers installed! Still need sand and sealer...but you can see we are almost there...

• 15 years ago

yes, it is coming along! Our dig date has been pushed back from Oct 6 to Oct 13....but that is okay. I am excited. How much longer on yours, jescat?

• 15 years ago

Hi readyami: I hope that by this coming weekend we will be swimming. We have had several days of nonstop rain, so a small delay in progress. Was your pushback due to rain? Do you have plans we can see yet?

• 15 years ago

Jescat: The delay is most probably from Gustav's heavy rains back in September pushing their schedules off. We haven't had any rain here for about 3 weeks. It is supposed to rain later this week (figures, closer it gets to my dig!) It is a fiberglass pool, so there are no real "pool plans" to show off! It is a roughly 14.5 x 32.6 rectangle that bows out in the middle of each side which keeps it from being perfectly rectangular. It has a bench all the way across at the deep end, and steps all the way across in the shallow end. Depth roughly 3.5' to 6'. We are still undecided on the coping, but DH is now leaning toward stone. We've picked out a gray flagstone we both like. All depends on PB's quote tomorrow (he has been out of town for a week, probably hunting!)