SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxyl_gw

Independent appraisal to buy weird house?

roxyl
17 years ago

Okay, our home buying experience keeps getting weirder. Our friends moved from a home in January and we expressed interest in purchasing it (great location etc.). Basically we have till the end of April to sell our home and buy theirs. There has been a verbal agreement of the purchase price, but we haven't signed anything yet.

So, here's where it gets weird. They say the home is 1985 built, but the inspection showed up 1978 water heaters and flooring made from 2x6 tongue and groove (much older type of construction). It needs lots of work (new siding, windows, roof, kitchen etc.).

The land has been repeatedly subdivided and I can't find records of the home. In fact, yesterday I called the county archives and they say they have it recorded that the home was demolished four years ago! (They're researching the home, so we should know it's age soon.) I know the taxes are all messed up.

I'm worried that the home isn't worth as much as we verbally agreed to pay for it.

Should we pay for an appraisal ourselves before we sign a contract with them?

If we do sign the contract and the bank appraisal comes out lower are we still stuck with the original price and we just eat the difference?

Are there any experts we should be getting advice on in the case like this?

Thanks so much for listening to this weird saga! I respect the advice on here immensely.

Comments (9)