SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carajon

Steps, lights and solar - advice please?

carajon
13 years ago

We finally signed our contract for a pool, but I am still waffling on steps, lights and solar. I'd so appreciate any thoughts!

We are in upstate NY and have decided on a 20x40 vinyl lined Pacific pool with a 3' bluestone deck (and coping) and lawn around that. Regrettably we will not be installing an automatic cover due to the cost. The liner will be 27mil blue granite with no border design. Originally we were going to do the wedding cake steps inside the pool with a matching vinyl liner for a nice, clean look. But I keep hearing bad things about liners over steps. So we are now leaning towards the thermoplastic steps instead. Our options are the corner steps or steps that extend outside the pool rectangle (does that make sense?): either 6 ' or 8' straight steps or 10' Roman steps. The thermoplastic (I think?) steps come in white, blue or grey marble or blue or grey granite. So here are my step questions:

1. Any thoughts on placement and width of steps? Do steps inside the pool perimeter interfere with the use of the shallow end? Does it matter if we do the 6' vs the 10'? I'd love to hear how others like (or don't like) the step placement and size they chose....

2. I am really concerned about how the plastic steps are going to look with the liner. Does anyone have a blue granite liner with plastic steps? Any thoughts on what might look best? (Of course Pacific's blue granite liner does not match their blue granite steps!!!).

3. Anyone have anything positive to say about vinyl lined steps?

Regarding lights - we don't want to spend more than necessary but don't want to regret our decision later. We are not really interested in lots of color options, but would like the pool to be pleasant when it is lit up (I don't want it to look like an airport runway). Is one LED light sufficient?

And finally - solar. We have solar domestic hot water, and were going to tie into that system for pool heating, but have discovered that because the pool is going to be over 50' from the house, running the piping will be very expensive. So now we are considering the solar mats (we have plenty of space). Our solar guy gave a quote of $4000 for a solar mat system for our pool, which seems somewhat high to me. Does this sound high? Can we simply buy and install one of these systems ourselves?

Thanks thanks thanks for any thoughts or advice!!!!

Comments (2)