SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melody_s_gw

House near country highway

melody-s
12 years ago

I am looking at a house tomorrow that has a potential serious issue and I wanted some feedback. The house, at least in pictures, looks great. It is a pre-WWII house upgraded but respectful to the history and it looks cute as a button. The neighboring houses are mixed as is typical in rural areas and they are generally well cared for. It also has almost an acre of what looks to be well cared for land. The problem is that it is half a block from the local two lane highway. It is about one mile from the nearest small town. I drove by during rush hour and there was light to moderate traffic.

I had not considered houses outside the city and suburbs. My Realtor found this one because the house itself seems to fit my tastes exactly. The price is good and is a lot more than I would get closer in. The commute isn't much longer than what I currently have and I can work from home one day a week.

My kids are almost grown, I don't plan to resell for a very long time, and I sleep with the windows closed. I am young and healthy enough to not be concerned about the upkeep and services. I don't think the traffic would be a hazard given my life circumstances, but that busy road does make me pause. So I am crowd-sourcing this to get some perspective. Thoughts, ideas, things to consider?

Comments (9)