SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

Quilts of Valor

mary_c_gw
15 years ago

OK, it looks like some of you want to help out, and I think that's wonderful!

What we did last time was people mailed me blocks, and I assembled the quilts, quilted, bound and sent them off. This still works for me.

Each quilt takes 12 12-inch finished sized blocks. I put them together with a 2" sashing and a 4" border. This makes the size quilt required by the foundation. This layout also allows me to tweak that block that's a bit skimpy or a bit large.

Most soldiers prefer patriotic colored quilts, so that's what I do.

Block requirements:

>> 12" finished size, 12-1/2" unfinished

>> Colors to use: Red, White or White-on-White, Blue

You can do red/white or blue/white or red/blue, if you want to make a two-color block.

Please don't use tan, ecru, beige (not that these are bad colors), simply because I buy white on white fabric by the bolt, and I use that for some backings, sashings, and borders. But in the past, some of the blocks with the "aged Americana" look just looked out of place with the bright white. Please do not use juvenile prints.

>> Block pattern: Your choice, but choose a block that can stand alone (i.e., one that doesn't need a companion block to complete it's pattern). Star blocks are especially appropriate.

www.quilterscache.com has a search which will allow you to search by block size.

>> Do not sign your block. I will include your name (if you wish) and state on the quilt label. Last time, I had people sign the blocks, and some of the signatures bled, and it was a mess to clean up. I am required to wash the quilt before it is sent.

>> Please, too! No more than 2 blocks per person! Last time I got 127 blocks in the space of 4 weeks! I was overwhelmed - gratified, too, but overwhelmed.

If you wish to send a dollar or two to help out with batting/backing cost, that's lovely, but NOT essential. I don't want anyone to think I'm trolling for a handout. I'd be making these quilts anyway.

Also, while I don't mean to sound snippy, PLEASE remember these are NOT charity quilts. These are AWARDS for service. This is the time for your pointiest points and finest sewing.

If you wish to participate, you can email me for my address through my page here.

Mary

Comments (12)