SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dscpate

competing with short sale right next door

dscpate
14 years ago

Here is a little background information. We are just about ready to put our house on the market. I have been doing a lot of painting, clean-up, decluttering and just doing all that I can to sell my house for the most that I can. Houses in my area that are the same age and similar square footage are going from anywhere around 134,000 to 145,000. I had planned on putting mine at 137 or 139. Here is my problem. My next door neighbor just put his house on the market a couple of days ago. His house has 500 square feet more and has a pool and his backyard is bigger. Houses his size in are neighborhood are asking around 155 to 165. He is asking 135,000. Of course it is a short sale. We knew that he was only making payments once every 4 months or so. He told us that he was doing this on purpose and was going to hold out as long as possible and then just let it go into foreclosure. We knew we had to get our house on the market sooner rather than later but thought we had some time before competing with our neighbor so I was surprised when I drove up and saw his for sale sign. I know people have to do what they have to do to help themselves, but I am a little upset that he put it on the market as a short sale knowing that we are putting ours on the market also.

I guess what I am asking is there any advice at all on what I should do to compete. I am know thinking I will have to drop my asking price to 129. I was going to put in fresh sod and replace my old worn out hard wood in my living room with carpet, but I am not so sure what to invest right now.

On a side note, does he have to disclose that his house half way burned to the ground a couple of years ago? His teenager accidentally set his house on fire and was re-built. Does that have to be disclosed and does this deter people from buying?

What would you do to stand out from the house right next door to you?

Comments (4)