SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ailene54

I need help picking a new pool liner...can you help??

Ilene Perl
10 years ago

I posted something in pool and spa, but realize traffic here is more, am hoping you can help. I'm getting a new liner and having as much trouble deciding on this as I did my countertop, surprisingly to me the price is also similar. I know I would like a dark liner, would appreciate to see your pool, and a close up of your liner is possible?? We are leaving for a 4 day vacation on Monday, I have to make a decision when I get back. When u changed your liner did they change the foam, my regular pool person doesn't, but the other estimate I got did,,,,sounds like something that should be done, my pool person will be 200 more with the foam change....I'm confused there to, the second estimate came highly recommended. Thanks

Comments (21)

• User
    10 years ago

Hey..we had our pool liner changed last fall. I have lots of pics to show. We did get the dark liner and LOVE it. It is true that the pool water warms up faster with it and I just love how rich it looks. Same price as the lighter color.Yes to new foam ! Our pool was built in the early 80's. It is constructed very well and the person who built it put in the last pool liner which lasted for about 10-11 yrs ! He was a master at pools ;) The guy we used was not able to get the old guy to tutor him on pool liners but he has done a lot of them. We had one small hiccup when he was installing but he made good on it and the new install is perfect. Here are the pics from my photobucket you can click on them to see more.

If you have any questions let me know. c

before:

liner all out ..you can see everything here :

new foam going in :

new liner:

love it !!

Here is a link that might be useful: link to pool pics.

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trailrunner your pool looks great,I love it, in fact your liner is the one I'm thinking about. Spoke to my regular pool person he is going to change the foam for same price so am probably using him. Is your liner 20mil or 28?? Did you check out manufacturers or just use who was suggested,my regular pool person uses Marlin, the other who came down uses VynAll, I'm not sure if one is better than other, do you know??? Thanks again!!!!

• Related Discussions

Help! Backsplash is back ordered and need help picking new one!

Q

Comments (7)
    If you like the backordered backsplash, just wait for it to come in. December isn't that far off. If you are worried your GC will be gone when the backordered backsplash comes in, don't worry about it. Either ask him to come back when the tile is in, and withhold some payment until the backsplash is complete, or, just hire a tile installer for the job when the tile comes in (look on Angie's List or Yelp). A tile installer will probably do a better job than your GC anyway, since he specializes in tile.
    ...See More

need help picking pool color!!

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi everyone! We are building a new home in sw fl and it’s time to pick pool colors. Pool company uses pebbletec. As you can see from my pool drawing we have a large sun pad with a bench seat extending on one side to hot tub from the steps. I want to achieve a beautiful blue color but worried how to achieve it with the deepest part of pool being 5 feet. Anyone have any experience with this? Worried that the color we have selected (Caribbean blue) will make the pool look mostly brown bc of depth and size of sun pad? Please help!! Pool company only provided us with this color of the water with selection and I’m going crazy searching online! Any help or additional suggestions on the pebbletec colors would be very appreciated!!! Additional details- We have full sun/southern exposure.
    ...See More

HELP... I need help picking a lighting style and finish

Q

Comments (3)
    That's a fairly dark gray. I hope there are lots of windows for natural light. If you select satin chrome light fixtures they will be the same value as your walls and blend in to the walls. I would contrast with fixtures in an iron like or blackish bronze finish Designers do not typically recommend lights on ceiling fans. The quality of the light is typically not flattering.
    ...See More

I need help picking a pool liner (Aqua water not too dark)

Q

Comments (4)
    Rectangular pool 3.4 in shallow end and 4.5 in deep end
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Do they make the liner in a dark grey? Our pool was gunite so it could be any color, but I really liked it in grey. with your natural-ish shape and the other elements, I think it would look great.

• User
    10 years ago

Thank you..our pool liner is a Latham Pool product that is what is on the warranty. Our pool is 16x32. I read a lot about the mil and the consensus was that one doesn't need the really thick mil over 100% of the liner so we got the 27/20 duomax. I can't remember that brand name of the liner that was on the brochure...I gave it back to him...I could call on Monday and find out.

I looked at a lot of different colors. I wanted as dark as possible. I do know that if you don't have the "trim" around the top the price goes way up ! So we did keep that. I looked at the grey colors that mntrd mentions but didn't think they would look good at all with our walled garden that we just had new stucco put on. Also the brand that our pool guy uses didn't have any in grey that were as attractive as the dark blue. I love the way this looks like the ocean !! Hope you like yours as well. Our whole set up with the new foam etc and labor and liner was $2700 so I think quite reasonable. Let me know if you need anymore help.c

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtnrdredux thanks for replying, grey is beautiful, but my pool person had no nice choices in grey either.

Teailrunner after seeing your pool I have no problem picking my first choice of liner which is actually same as yours, same top boarder too. I have been advised by a few pool outfitters including my own that even though the thicker liner does hold color better, we live on long iland, with the winters we have been having (snow,ice) the 20mil has more give for expansion which may be needed if we have another winter like last year. I'm going to be paying 3,200, shape and waterfall add to the price. Thanks so much for your help, hope my pool looks as inviting as yours when it's finished, I love that it looks like the ocean!!!

• User
    10 years ago

Sounds wonderful . I sure hope you will take pics of in progress and finished . Your pool area is huge and gorgeous !! I look forward to seeing it all completed. Thanks again for the nice comments. c

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

We did our pool liner a couple of years ago. We went to the darkest one they had. Our pool is large and takes forever to warm up, so we thought that would help.

This is before. It was about 10 years old

New!

With Brats

We love the new look!

Beth P.

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trail runner i will definitely post when it's one, am upset I didn't decide to do this soonerr, I am looking forward to the new liner.

Bethpen your pool is beautiful, love the color of your liner!!! Does your pool heat up quicker with the darker liner? That will be an added plus if it does.

Caminnc your pool is also beautiful, I really love the look a dark liner gives...thanks for sharing.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Ilene, the darker liner definitely helps with heating the pool. We just love how it looks. Here in the Northeast the season is so short that every little bit helps.

Beth P.

• User
    10 years ago

It really heats faster. I started swimming on April 17th. The water was 74.3. Then the temps dropped and I had to stop :( But this past Tuesday I went out in the AM and the water was 73 and I waited a couple hours and when the sun got over the pool it jumped up to 75.3 so that was an amazing change in just a couple hours. I swim until mid Oct so I get 6 months out of our pool .

Beth how big is your pool ? It looks very deep . Ilene how big is yours ? I love the shape and a waterfall is so neat ! Cam your pool and those flowers !! Wow..how big is yours ? We will have a great pool thread ! c

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My pool is 16 yrs old, this will be the first liner replacement. We bought the house 7years ago,this house is the summer house DH always wanted and the new house i always wanted. What you can't see in that picture is that we have a nice amount of grass on either side of the patio. DH and I never liked our starter house which we lived in for 20yrs. The pool shape is kidney, I think it's 36x15, but really have to measure it to be sure, I may be off. The waterfall is something we enjoy, I love the sound when I'm reading .

Did you change your bulb when you did the liner? Thought of asking about that, think its 16yrs too and we use it a lot.

Trail runner where do you live? Your pool season sounds so nice. I usually close the pool middle of September, and planned on opening the 13th.

My toy poodle gets all excited to join us in the pool....I have never let him in the water for fear he will go for a swim when I let him out. He enjoys this and we do splash him a lot, thought you may enjoy the picture...he's wearing his mets hat,which he shakes off as soon as he gets off the chair..

• User
    10 years ago

Your puppy is SO cute !! I looked back and the liner was 13 yrs old that we just replaced. We have been in the house 11 yrs and the po had changed the liner when they lived here. It was the original liner from the early 80's. So 3 liners in about 30 yrs. I have read a lot of differing info on how long they should last. I hope we won't need to do it again for a long time :) We didn't change the bulb. We rarely use it I like to swim in the dark . We have a fountain in the pool area so I get the sound from that...you are right it is very soothing.

Funny what you say about not liking your starter house and your DH's comments. We are the same way ! We lived in our one and only house...our starter house from 1979-2002. DH picked out this house an 1890 Victorian without me even seeing it ! He gave them a check and then called me in FL where I was living with my parents taking care of my Dad who was sick . I couldn't believe it ! But he was right and this has been our dream home too. I will never move from here...we consider this our last stop ! We are 60's though so I guess you never know. It is a lot of up keep. Thank you for posting...if you have more pics of the yard and pool area I would love to see them . c

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Trail, our pool is 30x40 I think. With an L. It is 9' deep in the deep end. We love it. It all seemed like a good idea, but then the surrounding stamped concrete cost about twice as much as the pool did.

It was really worth it, the kids really love being out there.

Beth P.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Just took the cover off recently so the pool hasnt been cleaned and my flower pots havent been brought out yet but I think spring has finally arrived and the filter will be fired up this week.
    We had our liner replaced 3-1/2 years ago after a hail storm tore up the previous liner which was about 13 years old. The foam was not replaced. We have lived in this house about 10 years and have the pool serviced by the same person that originally installed it. I am sure he would have replaced the foam if he felt it was necessary. We did pick a slightly darker liner than the previous one but we didnt want one that looked too dark.
    Here's how it looked when we took the cover off after a very long cold winter.
    Hope I will be swimming by Memorial Day.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I just looked in our records and our liner is a Merlin Industries liner. Your pool person may not offer this companies line but I did notice that they have a feature on their website were you can see how their pool patterns will look on you pool. if they have liners similar to what you are considering maybe you would like to try out their virtual tool.
    This is the liner we have in our pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: pool liner

• User
    10 years ago

Beth that is a huge pool ! Wow...I swim laps for a mile a day so I get a lot of use out of the pool. When the kids lived closer we had people over all the time. The past few years it is just me. I do 80 round trips and call it good :)

I have looked in to getting the concrete stained etc but always back down at the price. I just keep it pressure washed and that is it.

Badger your pool area is beautiful ! We have never had a pool service. DH does the chemicals and I brush it down. We only have real work in the Spring for about 2 weeks and then in the fall...but this Fall will be a lot less work as the pecan tree that was hanging over is gone and the chemicals will be a lot less too! Where are you ? Your liner is almost like ours...we are little darker. c

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Trailrunner, I live in Pewaukee, WI which is about 20 miles west of Milwaukee. This past winter was very long but I think I can safely say spring has sprung. I swim laps like crazy all summer. I thought I was doing good with 50 or 60 round trips but now you make me feel like a slug with your 80.
    We only use a pool service to open and close the pool. I do maintenance throughout the summer. We replaced the old sand filter with a cartridge system 2 years ago and the pool stays cleaner than ever. No more back washing and way less vacuuming. People are always surprised when I tell them how little work it is to keep the pool up. I would love to have pavers or stained, stamped concrete around the pool but can't justify the expense either.
    Found a photo of the damage that a September hailstorm did to the liner. We were actually lucky because we were planning on replacing the liner the next spring and this way our homeowners insurance covered the cost. So here is what it looked like.
    {{!gwi}}

This photo ( with my son acting a little bit goofy) shows that the previous liner was a bit lighter than the current one. Our pool gets full sun until late in the day. Maybe I should have picked an even darker liner. I didn't think they would make the water that much warmer. Oh well, I hope this liner is good for the next ten years.
    {{!gwi}}

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanted to thank you for the help in picking out my liner. Nothing I do seems to be without problems, liner came in on time, unfortunately we had a leak in new gasket at main drain site, it as patched by diver. We are enjoying pool, but before closing will be emptying and refilling before closing.....hope all are enjoying their pool,,,,Happy 4th !!!!!

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanted to thank you for the help in picking out my liner. Nothing I do seems to be without problems, liner came in on time, unfortunately we had a leak in new gasket at main drain site, it as patched by diver. We are enjoying pool, but before closing will be emptying and refilling before closing.....hope all are enjoying their pool,,,,Happy 4th !!!!!

• User
    10 years ago

Stunning ! Love your landscaping. I have only been in the pool one time since end of May ! we were gone all of June and now the rains are here to stay.

I hope you have a problem free rest of the Summer. c