SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brena08

Newbie, Would LOVE some help with Pebble Sheen Colors

brena08
15 years ago

Hello, we are in the process of building our first pool. We really like the pebble sheen but I'm having a hard time with the colors.

We live on 22 acres and have a creek that runs close to our home. We occasionally see snakes. We are trying to have a color that isn't too dark so we can see if there is something in the water or on the bottom.

We want our water blue, no green or grey if possible. I'm thinking of Aqua Blue but I don't want it to look too unnatural because it's a natural free form pool... I would really like some help/pictures etc.. that anyone can offer me.

Thanks in Advance...

Comments (46)

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello gina171:

Thanks so much for your response. Your pool looks great and the water is very beautiful! The Bordeaux Pebble Sheen might be a little too dark for the bottom of my pool. We live in the country and I want to be able to see the bottom clearly in case there might be an unwanted creature somewhere.

I don't want a windex look either, but I'm not sure if the aqua blue would give me that look. Pebble Sheen is a long term investment (at least I hope so) and it is so HARD to find what we want.

Anyone have any pictures of Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen or pebble sheen photos and/or advice they want to share also?

Thanks, Brena

• Related Discussions

how rough is pebble tec vs pebble sheen

Q

Comments (8)
    Pebble Tec is not rough because, as the OP stated, the stones are tumbled. The stones in Pebble Sheen are much smaller, also tumbled, but in addition the Pebble Sheen is buffed before the pool is filled with water. We have Black Onyx Pebble Sheen and love it. The texture of the Pebble Sheen is very much like a basketball or football. To really choose between larger/smaller stones, you absolutely should have your pool builder or plaster company take you to at least one pool with the larger stones and at least one pool with the smaller stones. Be prepared to take your shoes off and step into the pools, so you can tell what it feels like underfoot.
    ...See More

PebbleSheen (Turtle Bay)/PebbleTec (Midnight Blue)

Q

Comments (4)
    I have seen Turtle Bay in person and it sounds like exactly the color you are looking for! It is deeper than the bright colors and has a lovely emerald green tone to it. I also like the color of the pebbles, which are visible on steps and the shallower waters. I would recommend searching the board for your colors and googling too with images. Lots will come up. Katherine
    ...See More

The Woodlands - need help to see Pebble Sheen Colors

Q

Comments (4)
    Send me an email with your name and number referring to this thread kelly@atlantispool.com I've got lots of new and old pools all around you with the Aqua and the Granite colors, I haven't done a Prism in The Woodlands since before the hurricane and I unfortunately I don't remember the buyers name name. I'll contact some of my buyers and get you a few to look at. See ya, Kelly
    ...See More

Pebble Tec or Pebble Sheen too hard for kids' feet? Coping ? too

Q

Comments (15)
    We had a pool built last year and chose a Pebble Tec finish. I am now so sorry we did. I wish we'd saved the $$$ and had just gone for the old fashioned plaster finish. I'm 62 and use the pool for aqua exercises for my arthritis, and part of my routine is to walk MANY steps back and forth in the pool. The first few days I did this, the bottoms of my feet ended up RAW. At first I didn't make the connection. But finally on about the 3rd day, I realized it was from the surface of the pool. My feet were so sore I could hardly walk on them. My feet are not that sensitive. I walk around barefoot all day when I'm home. I now wear either water shoes or mesh shower shoes in the pool. I thought maybe I could "toughen up" the bottoms of my feet, but the few times I've tried to go in barefoot since the beginning, I can feel the irritation, and end up putting my shoes back on.
    ...See More
  • poolfool
    15 years ago

We just remodeled our pool with Pebble Sheen last weekend (3 year old pool, a series of bad pool maintenance people badly etched the plaster).

We chose Aqua Blue, and I can tell you that it is a very bright blue... windex is fairly accurate. The dark stones in the blue composite give it a great look... a very defined and visible texture in the surface. For us, it is amazingly beautiful and we couldn't be happier.

But if you are looking for a lighter and more neutral blue, go with one of the near white shades. The medium blues are all set in gray composites and may not be light enough for your preference. FWIW, none of the chips, dry, wet, or under a few inches of water, really show the final color.

Good luck!

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi poolfool:

Thank you for responding. After reading your post I showed my husband and one of my kids a bottle of windex. Both my husband and daughter said the water would look good to them. My husband also said the water would look clean and clear. He can make a decision very easily (but sometimes has regrets), all he mainly wants is to stay away from grey and green water. I'm the one who has a very hard time making a decision.

I do like Aqua Blue but was wondering if it would go with a free form lagune type pool with tan/brown boulders, rocks, coping and tile? Also, can you see the bottom of your pool and through the water clearly? Do you have any pictures of your Aqua Blue pool? I would love to see them.

I had orginally picked out Cool Blue Pebble Sheen, it's white with specks, but I wasn't sure if it would look like dirty white plaster, or a nice sandy bottom. Has anyone seen or had/have Cool Water? If so do you have any pictures?

Anyone have any pictures of Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen or pebble sheen photos and/or advice they want to share also?

Thanks,

Brena

• padrefan
    15 years ago

Here's an old picture of our Prism Blue.

• npoaz
    15 years ago

We chose Aqua Blue after visiting a pool that had it. I wouldn't call it Windex, but a nice cool blue. I could see the bottom very easily. Maybe you can find someone in your area that has an Aqua Blue pool. Ours will be done next week and I will post pictures when it's complete.

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi padrefan: Beautiful color water and a very nice pool. If I lived in the city I would get the prism, I think it's beautiful. Although your water looks very easy to see through, this may be a consideration for us. I also like the blue granite that looks kind of like prism but lighter.

Hi npoaz:
    A nice cool blue sounds wonderful! I called the PB earlier and left a message for him to call me back. I do want to see an Aqua Blue in person. Yes please post pictures when it's done. They are on their 3rd day of coping my pool so I'm running out of time.

Another concern I have is the heat. I live 20 minutes from Houston Texas and it gets really hot in the summer. Someone told me the darker the color the hotter the water, so I'm a little scared of the Blue Granite (it has a lot of black in the stones).

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

More pictures and advice please :)

Brena

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello,

I couldn't seem to insert a picture here so I'm putting in a link at the bottom of a pool that I found while searching. The pool is in Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen. It seems to be more of a close up than a couple of pools at other websites.

If someone has Aqua Blue or has seen a pool with it in person, could you tell me if this picture looks accurate in color?

Thanks,

Brena

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• npoaz
    15 years ago

Accurate color will vary with your monitor. To make things more complicated, the time of day, cloudy, sunny, surrounding landscape and actual application will all vary the color of the water. Do your best to try and find a home you can visit and take all of the above into account. I was in your shoes several weeks ago and for us Aqua Blue was quite and upgrade cost. After seeing it live, we were convinced it was best for us. We also had a chance to see Cool Blue, Tahoe Blue and Blue Granite, but for us, the Aqua was the clearest blue while not showing much dirt on the bottom of the pool.

Hope this helps a bit. Email me asdg97@cox.net and I may be able to get you some pictures from the house we visited.

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi npoaz:

Clearest blue while not showing much dirt sounds really good, and that is what I'm looking for too. If I do go with this color I want to add the shells to it because I noticed the Aqua doesn't come with shells. Hopefully, my PB is going to let me know something by this weekend (local pools with the Pebble Sheen colors).

Yes, I will email you and I would appreciate some pictures if you can get them.

Thank You,

Brena

• gina171
    15 years ago

Definitely do your best to see an Aqua pool in person...maybe on a cloudy day AND on a sunny day...trees around the pool will make it reflect more green, but the water won't actually BE more green if that makes sense...heck, even the color of the water when you're standing in it looking across the surface is a different color than when you're standing above it looking down...but you'll probably love the color in each instance...and with the darker colors you can see to the bottom of the pool if your water is in good shape. We can literally see the individual pebbles in our PebbleTec, 8.5 feet down.

• gina171
    15 years ago

almost forgot...definitely go for the shells, we have it in our PebbleTec and they are so beautiful. subtle, but a really lovely touch.

• gina171
    15 years ago

here's a link to someone on this forum who is building a pool and using the Aqua PebbleSheen:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pools/msg0816520222317.html?9

They don't have it in yet, but maybe they can tell tou about some pools they saw or send you photos they have?

Here is a link that might be useful: New Pool In Aqua

• npoaz
    15 years ago

brena08,

Did you get a chance to see an Aqua Blue pool live? I didn't get an email from you. If you still want a picture email me.

• sdkath
    15 years ago

I want a picture, npoaz. Can you post it here? K

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

We went with blue lagoon pebble tec:

Nikki

• arielitas_mom
    15 years ago

Aqua Blue is probably a lot like the Bella Blue Pebblefina - a crisp, clean blue, not unlike diluted Windex. Here's my pool from the pebbletec website. I can easily see anything below the surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bella Blue

• masterchief
    15 years ago

We went with Pebble Sheen Blue Granite.

It has a richer blue hue...the last picture in the Pebble Sheen gallery is fairly accurate.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi gina171, thank you s for all your helpful information! Yes I really want the shells added and hopefully I can get them.

Hello npoaz, I just emailed you a few minutes ago. I have been so busy the last few days spending all my free time trying to get my two girls ready for back to school. The PB gave me an address/phone number to an Aqua Blue and a Blue Granite today. I'm going to call them this evening to try and set up a time for tomorrow to see them. I'm a little worried because it has been raining off and on for a few days now. Although, they did manage to finish my plumbing today. They are going to hopefully start the decking process on Tuesday. Yes please send me pictures if possible of the Aqua Blues. Thank You

Hi Nikkineel, nice pool and your water is beautiful! I wonder if the Blue Lagoon Pebble Tec is the Aqua Blue Pebble Sheens eqivalent? Are you happy with your choice? To me your color looks like paradise!! Thanks for the picture!

Hi arielitas_mom, nice pool and your water is beautiful also! Do you think the Bella Blue is a little lighter than the Aqua Blue? I'm not sure. I would have went with the Bella Blue if we were going with the Pebble Fina and that is a fact!! Thanks for the link to the picture and your input.

Hi masterchief, the Blue Granite and the Aqua Blue are my two top choices. Hopefully I can see both very soon in person. Can you see the bottom of your pool clearly? Thanks for the advice.

• masterchief
    15 years ago

Brena - Yes, the pool bottom is clearly visible. The fact that blue granite looks blue w/o being 'too' blue sold us.

I found this older post on the GW pool forums to be tremendous help.

We have our first pool party this weekend, I will make sure to upload a few for you to review.

Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebble sheen- any pics? prism blue, blue granite, aqua blue

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

Black Onyx Pebble Sheen®. We can clearly see the bottom of our pool. There's a creek that runs behind our property, and we get an occasional frog in the pool, and we've had a few worms, too. Never a snake (unless hubs hasn't told me!), though.

• arbisi
    15 years ago

Lindsey-did you ever post any finished/landscaped pics of your pool? If you did I must have missed them. I only remember the one you posted above. Would love to see some recent pics. You water color is one of my favorites!

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Brena. Yes, we love our color choice. It really is true blue. We wanted it light enough to see the bottom because we have little ones swimming all the time. We also have lots of squirrels and other critters in our yard (lots of trees). I'm not sure if Blue Lagoon is similar to Aqua Blue sheen. Thanks for the compliment, we really do enjoy the pool. Nikki

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

No, I haven't posted any pics of finished landscaping. And, we're in the middle of tearing all of it out and redoing it (the landscaping, not the pool - LOL) because we're putting in an outdoor kitchen and fireplace. The photo above is an excellent representation of our water color, though. And we love the color. :-)

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, I hope this works, it's my first time to insert pictures at this site.

Below (the first two picture) are pictures of Aqua Blue Pebble sheen from a pool we went to see today.

[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/640ab5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/2hweejl.jpg[/IMG]

Below (Last two pictures) are pictures of the French Blue Pebble Sheen from a pool we saw today.

[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/2e56sko.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/33dif15.jpg[/IMG]

Unfortunately the people were not home that had the Blue Ganite Pebble Sheen. I'm hoping the PB can find another Blue Granite for us to go and see.

Brena

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it looks like my picture inserting didn't work in my previous post... So I'll try it this way. Hopefully if you copy and past the link it will work.

Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen (first two links)

http://i35.tinypic.com/640ab5.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2hweejl.jpg

French Blue Color Sheen (Last two links)

http://i34.tinypic.com/2e56sko.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/33dif15.jpg

Brena

• sdkath
    15 years ago

If you see a Blue Granite, PLEASE post it. I am looking for more pix of that color. The Aqua Blue looks a little too green for my liking. I am leaning toward the Blue Granite.

• huskyridor
    15 years ago

brena08,
    I wouldn't worry a bit about the fact that Blue Granite is slightly darker than Aqua Blue and might be warmer water. I've got plenty of pools with both colors and they stay consistent to each other in temperature.
    Directional exposure (southwest-vs- northeast) and available late afternoon shade dictate water temp BIGTIME. If your in The Woodlands area I'll gladly show you Blue Granite pools with any exposure and with or without crushed seashells.
    If your not in the area and Modern Method is your builders applicator call Melissa at MMG, she'll fix you up with some inventory to look at in your area.

I love Blue Granite, it's an AWESOME color.

See Ya,
    Kelly

• gina171
    15 years ago

brena, which did you like best? i liked that french blue more than the aqua, but i am not a fan of a green tint in water (spent too much time battling algae in my old white plaster pool for green to ever make me smile!). it's just a personal preference, i like a cool or gray toned water, you should go with whatever makes you smile. :-)

we almost went with blue granite pebblesheen (such a nice cool blue, very classy color), but we loved the bigger pebbles. i can't wait to see pics of your pool. when is your decision "due" and when is your pebbletec day?

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi sdkath, we are going to try and see the Blue Granite pool again this week/weekend. I will send pics if possible. Did you see green in an Aqua Blue pool in person or was it the pics I posted? I didn't really see green in it, it may be because I should of had my flash on, or maybe all these choices are driving me color blind... Please let me know and Thanks...

Hi huskyrider, yes I'm not too far from the Woodlands, around 40-45 minutes. Maybe you could hook me up with some Blue Granite and Aqua Blues. Our backyard is full sun. We have four trees kind of close to the pool area on the north side but are not that big. We purposely kept the backyard clear for a pool (lower maintenance). These next few weeks are very busy for us, but maybe we can figure something out, I'm running out of time. Thanks So Much...

Hi gina171, My husband and kids preferred the Aqua Blue. My husband doesn't want any gray in the water, although with the French Grey I only saw a slight gray in the shallow areas (steps), the rest of the pool looked like a pretty blue. Are you seeing green in the Aqua from the pics I posted or have you seen green from a pool in person? I didn't think I saw any green in the Aqua while viewing it. I really need to see another Aqua Blue pool, the pool I saw also had lots of trees around the area which may make a difference, but it was a pretty blue. My decision on the color is soon, they were supposed to start decking last Tuesday but it has been raining off and on every day this week and I have a BIG Muddy mess in my backyard. They will probably start decking next week. Thanks for your help...

Still Confused, Brena

• gina171
    15 years ago

brena, i have not seen aqua in person, but i definitely saw green in that photo. all that matters is if you liked it when you saw it in person. if you did, done deal and move on to the next piece. most of us here can testify that you can go batty second guessing yourself, just choose and move on. your family will love you for it. ;-)

i think the only folks who have no fear with this are pool builders with their personal pools, because they've seen all the colors, and they know that in the end they ALL look darn nice.

isn't it nice to have a problem like this, as opposed to the really scary problems out there? :-)

• leonardsmalls
    15 years ago

If you see a Blue Granite, PLEASE post it. I am looking for more pix of that color. The Aqua Blue looks a little too green for my liking. I am leaning toward the Blue Granite.<.p>

marpet did his in Blue Granite .. looks awesome

marpet's pool build

• brena08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello,

We are still undecided. Today was the first day we could see a pool in person in several weeks. We are also wanting a beach entry with a natural color pebble.

These decisions are HARD!

Brena

• mamieg
    15 years ago

brena,
    would love to know what you decided to go with on the pebble sheen color. i am struggling with this decision. i like french grey, aqua blue, and blue granite. french grey seems to be my favorite.

• hawkfive
    15 years ago

mamieg - natural one used french grey pebblesheen. If you do a search for that name, the thread will come up - there are many pictures of the pool in it.

• nctal
    15 years ago

Does anyone know which colors fall into which pricing tiers of Pebble tec? Which are the standard tier, tier 2 vs. tier 3?

The colors I (think I) like best are:

Midnight Blue
    Black Marble
    Blue Lagoon
    Tahoe Blue
    Majestic Plum
    Emerald Bay

Mid-to-dark blue with as little green as possible.
    Thanks!

• iswim
    15 years ago

OP: i'm a HUGE fan of the pebble fina bella blue. it's a beautiful baby blue color... like the clean sky after a rain. not to windexy to me.

-iswim

keep us posted on what you picked!

Here is a link that might be useful: bella blue pebble fina

• leonardsmalls
    15 years ago

Here's what I got from our PB

Cat 1

PebbleTec
    Carribbean Blue
    Majestic Plum
    Sandy Beach
    Sedona Red
    Tahoe Blue
    White Pearl
    PebbleSheen
    Aqua Blue
    Blue Granite
    French Grey
    Desert Gold
    White Diamonds

Cat 2

PebbleTec
    Black Pearl
    Black Marble
    Blue Lagoon
    Creme de Menthe
    Jade
    Moonlight Grey
    Soft White

PebbleSheen
    Arctic White
    Black Onyx
    Bordeaux
    Irish Mist
    Seafoam Green
    Slate Blue

Cat. 3

PebbleTec
    Midnight Blue
    Tropical Breeze

PebbleSheen
    Ocean Blue
    Prism Blue
    Turtle Bay

We went with the Blue Granite Pebblesheen ... not a hint of green after the chemicals balanced

• nutbunch
    15 years ago

It very easy to see anything on the bottom. I scoop up even the smallest of leaves that fall. Very easy to see.

• Maureen Mayer
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How about any comparisons between Prism Blue and Ocean Blue Pebble sheen? We can't decide...

• ahcrook
    4 years ago

Has anyone seen the comparison between Blue Surf and Blue Granite? Decision time! It’s so tough...

• debvanatl
    4 years ago

We went with the blue surf - it has a blue base color instead of the gray, and we love it. trying to find a picture

• Leah Bokinsky
    3 years ago

Does anyone know about Blue Surf... I don’t want the wonder color either

• Jennifer Martins
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

BLUE SURF

We had blue surf installed July 1st. Please excuse the mess, we are remodeling the entire backyard.

We live near Tampa Florida. On a typical sunny day the water is a beautiful blue, not too dark, not too light and not much green.. We didn't want any green and were afraid of going too light. It was a hard choice for us since we weren't able to see any pools actually finished and only a few pictures online with BLUE SURF. We love it, no regrets.

I can add some more recent pictures if that will help. These were the ones I had from the first week.

• ahcrook
    3 years ago

Thank you! Here’s how our Blue Surf Pebblesheen turned out.

• HU-429397311
    3 years ago

Anyone with Pebble Sheen for over 10, 15, or more years? How is it holding up? And, has it faded at all?