SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

BBB, not consumer friendly

bossyvossy
10 years ago

I know this first hand. When looking for a pool builder/remodeler, one of the first places I visited was the BBB. I didn't even bother to consider anybody with a B rating. If not A or better, it just wasn't worth my $$$.

Nothing prepared us for the rudest awakening in our lives when we were scammed by the scoundrel known as Houston Pool Remodeling. Owner has a perfect score as of this posting, lives close to my area, represented himself adequately in first interview, and his price wasn't out of this stratosphere.

To make the story short, It turns out the reason he had a perfect score is b/c he has not done a pool in over 5 years and the BBB's position is that HPR is innocent until proven guilty. In other words, no history equals GOOD history, with the BBB, an extremely dangerous premise for unsuspecting customers looking for help. We submitted a claim and builder has not responded. BBB will only show that biz did not respond to complaint. Nothing about scamming us for tens of thousands of dollars. HPR pays BBB dues on time and that is enough for BBB, so watch out.

So, you wonder, what went wrong? I'll tell you: I DID NOT CHECK CUSTOMER AND SUBCONTRACTOR REFERENCES BEFORE SIGNING CONTRACT. Of course, we asked repeaatedly, and he kept telling us that he didn't have names/phone handy but would bring on next visit. We considered this vetting routine detail work that would be cleared as the pool construction moved along. When I asked two out of 3 subcontractors how long they've done work for HPR, both indicated my pool was the first job with him. That raised an alarming red flag but by that time he had taken a large chunk of our remodeling money.

So, please, save yourself and INSIST on customer and subcontractor references before signing on the dotted line. If you have the $$$ to build a pool, you should have a little money to do a background ck for litigation, judgements, etc. What you find out might save you $$$. Yes, this defensive position my not be flattering, but it much uglier to be perceived as a na�ve dope from whom to take advantage.

Back to the BBB not being your friend, here is a very interesting article appearing on Time magazine re: BBB. I didn't know this either, but is fully supported by businesses not govt, and not consumer oriented. Use it as a tool but not as your decision making criteria.

http://business.time.com/2013/03/19/why-the-better-business-bureau-should-give-itself-a-bad-grade/

Comments (8)