SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ponderosapine_gw

Consumer Alert: Buycabinets.com

ponderosapine
15 years ago

Consumer Alert: Buycabinets.com/TheDirectCabinetSource.com

From a former Buycabinets employee, Whistleblower: I was employed by Trevor Grace for several years, and have decided to file a "Whistleblower" report with the following state, federal and local government investigative authorities: Arizona State Attorney General, Nevada State Attorney General, Federal Trade Commission and the SheriffÂs Department in Flagstaff, Arizona.

Several other ex-employees have agreed to cooperate with these investigations. This group, which I will refer to as the Whistleblower Team, is comprised of former employees who worked in Sales, Customer Service and Accounting at Buycabinets.com.

Until these investigations have been completed, I urge all consumers to beware of the new company TheDirectCabinetSource.com These are the same people that were working for Mr. Grace at Buycabinets.com when hundreds of thousands of dollars were collected from unsuspecting Internet consumers who have yet to receive their cabinets or their money back.

Trevor Grace, who was the CEO and President of Buycabinets.com, is now the Senior Executive for TheDirectCabinetSource.com. Mr. Grace has advised at least some of his creditors of his intention to file a petition for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy for his Buycabinets.com Company, however as of January 20, 2009 the petition has not been filed.

Here are the names of the ex-buycabinets.com employees and/or associates now believed to be associated with TheDirectCabinetSource.com: Trevor Grace, Keith Ingle, Philip Smith, Joe Lortie, Garry Baker, Jason Alley, Tom Shea, Demarara Deering, Leah Waggoner, Julia Roberts, Pete Jansen and Bob Jay.

I will be contacting the Arizona Corporation Commission as well as the Arizona Attorney GeneralÂs office regarding psmittyÂs posting on 01/22/09.

I am asking all Internet consumers who have given Mr. Grace your hard earned money, but have yet to receive your cabinets or your money back, to assist us in these criminal investigations. Although we may have enough evidence to get an indictment, we can use any information you may have.

Consumers who have either hired an attorney or are considering a Class Action Suit, can contact me for information regarding the criminal allegations.

You can send your comments, questions or information, which may assist in these investigations, to wingnut211@hotmail.com. If you prefer, you can contact the various government investigative authorities directly.

Comments (34)

• golddust
    15 years ago

Bravo! Go team! Let us put them in their place. Thank you! I am not a victim but I'm in full support and will help where it is needed.

• kompy
    15 years ago

Someone should start a Facebook group. If you REALLY want a good network of people all over the USA...this would be a great way to do it. Plus, it would be a good warning for other consumers. If anyone were to google either business, the facebook link would pop up...but you would need to have both business names in the group name for best optimization. (ie. Consumers against Buycabinets and directcabinetsource). If anyone starts it up....let me know. I just figure it should be someone that's actually been ripped off by them.

Also....I googled directcabinetsource and found several forums where people are talking about the rip off. Wow. That's the power of the net. I don't see how this new business will be able to continue with this much bad publicity.

• Related Discussions

hydroxycut diet supplement recall alert

Q

Comments (1)
    Old news now.
    ...See More

Consumer Action Alert: SlimQuick and NV

Q

Comments (1)
    moving right along....
    ...See More

buycabinets.com cabinets

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm sure you've read fighting's post. I'm not sure if I'd call them flimsy, but all I have to compare them with are the cabinets we're taking out which are not top of the line either. Like fighting we have solid drawers, dovetail, full-extension, soft-close with the upgrade for the not-flat front (can't think of what the term is). I'd use what fighting told you and take another look at the cabinets available locally. I chose Norcraft because it was suggested to me by buycabinets secondary to my budget. We are reno-ing the kitchen before putting the house on the market. The old cabinets were sad and refacing/resurfacing wasn't feasible. If this were going to be my kitchen for the next 20 years, I wouldn't have chosen these cabinets (would have had painted white, inset doors and drawers) but would have made other drastic changes in my kitchen as well. Have you had them send you a door sample to look at? That doesn't help much with the box construction. We live nearly six hours from the closest IKEA and those had been our first choice. Despite the possible hassles I was willing to go with those but ultimately couldn't put my wonderful DIY husband to the test with trying to modify a cabinet for our farm sink. Unfortunately, as it is there will be a bit a that with the cabinet we have. That's going to be a long day when we get there. It wouldn't have been the same kind of price difference that fighting would have had.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Consumer Alert!

Q

Comments (3)
    Who told you that green avocados are poisonous? Avocados are very healthy as they contain protein and monounsaturated fatty acids. They are considered to be a great meat or dairy alternative because they have a creamy texture and are satisfying due to their fat content. My husband doesn't like them, but occasionally I make guacamole and eat bunches of it...;-)
    ...See More
  • paydave
    15 years ago

loving it, keep the pressure. These guys don't know the storm is coming

• athena53
    15 years ago

Ponderosapine, THANK YOU! Finally, we're getting somewhere. I'll be emailing you this morning.

• berf
    15 years ago

Anyone who lands on this thread needs to cross-reference/read this more extensive thread regarding buycabinets.com and thedirectcabinetsource.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Additional Thread

• cabinetconsultant
    15 years ago

Let's just make something perfectly clear and factual here.
    1. Trevor completely mismanaged the company(he goes on an all expense paid trip to Hawaii knowing he will go bankrupt). Bad Economy????
    2. He asked his employees to lie to customers.
    3. He took money knowing they would never get their products.
    4. He bankrupted and is now doing business under Phil Smith, www.thedirectcabinetsource.com
    5. When you fill out the form on buycabinets.com website the same employees that worked for them will now contact you from www.thedirectcabinetsource.com
    6. Bob and Linda are not the bad guys here.
    7. The consumers that are on this website are not stupid!
    These are all facts, not caddy nonsense coming from Keith Ingle aka(Boxermamma)

• starpooh
    15 years ago

How about a link on the Finished Kitchens Blog pointing to this thread? The FKB gets lots of traffic and is also in many of the search engines.

• berf
    15 years ago

I think that's a good idea starpooh.

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Ok berf.. it's there! Hope it helps :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• danielle00
    15 years ago

This is incredible... what a rotten situation. I'm in one myself with a much smaller company. Hope you all get great results.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

this is great everyone, anything we can do to prevent this from happening again to someone else is huge.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

does anyone have a new information to post? any updates on the battle front?

• pebbleslew
    15 years ago

Spoke to Det Holland, Flafstaff PD. Said he as to wait for the bankruptcy court to give their decision but he has not given up on case still putting together stuff for a case against BC. So now we are in limbo but at least he didn't just blow it off. If you have any info please contact him he needs all info he can get. My email is now unblocked so if you need to get a hold of me just email.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

In researching additional cabinet companies that supply Kraftmaid, we made an interesting discovery. Under the BBB, if you look up Kitchen Master, Inc of Laguna Hills, CA...at the bottom of their screen you can click on 'DBA' (doing business as) and to our surprise it says BUYCABINETS.COM Doesn't this mean they are legally linked? As far as I can tell Kitchen Master is an up and running business. How do we go about finding out if they hold any legal responsibility for our money/cabinets? Is this something the detectives need to know about? Can someone look into this further??? Link below:
    http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=22691

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

If you go to the BBB and type in 'buycabinets.com' in the search field, this company now comes up!

• mtnwomanbc
    15 years ago

As I posted on another thread, at one time I heard that BuyCabinets.com moved to Arizona because so many kitchen reno's were being booked from CA that it made sense to move out of state so as to avoid sales tax (i.e., improve their margins by ~8%). I think a sales rep told me this a couple of years ago when i was first investigating a kitchen, which is yet to happen, LOL. He didn't refer to "margins" -- that was my take on it, though.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

should we start another thread since the other with DCS has ended? otherwise the alert goes away?

• pebbleslew
    15 years ago

started one with the subject of directcabinetsource.com, buycabinets.com,bankruptcy filed, lets keep the info going now that the bankruptcy has been filed. March 23rd at 1:30pm AZ time.

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

bump

• cocontom
    15 years ago

Emptykitchen, the Buycabinets.com/Kitchen Master thing may or may not be true- here's the link to the business license info for Kitchen Masters.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA license info

• tojail4trevorg
    15 years ago

I just stumbled across this website as I re-initiated my search to find out what is going on with BuyCabinets.com. Yes, I am another $10K victim. I've read the entire thread titled Alert: DirectCabinetSource too. I'm blown away by this whole mess.

I placed my order with Garry Baker (formerly of BC) back in mid-November. He was kind enough to let me know he was no longer working with BC in mid-December, and that he is now with DirectCabinetSource if I needed any further help. He 'informed' me that some employee's left BC and started DCS (but not Trevor Grace). Well, that is not what Trevor Grace says on his LinkedIn page (see link below). (I've got a copy of it just in case it disappears.)

I read the posts from 'former employees' stating the business was lossing money for 24 months, etc. If that's the case why did they keep it going for so long, and more importantly why did they start another company doing the same thing?

My order was with KitchenCraft (aka Arch Bay through BC). The order was actually placed with KitchenCraft back in mid-November and to my surprise KitchenCraft took the order, and made the cabinets without any deposit what so ever. WOW!
    KitchenCraft was really nice though and tried to work with me (after much resistance they were going to sell to me at their cost), but in the end the extra time delay proved to be too much, and I was able to find a less expensive alternative and get it installed much faster.

Hats off to all the people that are working together to find justice!

ToJail4TrevorG

Here is a link that might be useful: LinkedIn to Trevor Grace - Senior Executive of DCS

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

bump

• empty_kitchen
    15 years ago

tojail4trevorg-i wish Kraftmaid had been willing to give us our order at cost, they were not willing to provide any assistance in our situation. we are about to place our order again through another dealer this week. So after losing $16k we are going to spend another $15k so we can finally fill our empty space. So at the end of the day we have to consider our cabinets costing us $31,000.

• ponderosapine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the latest update from the Whistleblower:

I am posting the following information for those Victims/Creditors who have not received their official "Notice of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Case, Meeting of Creditors, & Deadlines" from the bankruptcy courtÂ

Case Number: 2:09-bk-02017-RTBP

Please be advised, the Creditors are being advised NOT to file a "Proof of Claim" at this time. It appears that the debtor, Mr. Grace, is reporting that there are NO assets available to the Trustee to pay the Creditors.

The Meeting of Creditors will be held at 1:30 PM on Monday, March 23, 2009 at the following location:

U.S. Magistrate Courtroom
    123 North San Francisco Street
    Flagstaff, AZ 86001

At this meeting, the Trustee and the Creditors will have the opportunity to question Mr. GraceÂs representative, who will be under oath. If you are unable to attend this meeting, I recommend that you file your list of questions, to be asked at the meeting, with the Bankruptcy ClerkÂs office.

Address of the Bankruptcy ClerkÂs office:

U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Arizona
    230 North First Avenue, Suite 101
    Phoenix, AZ 85003-1727
    Phone: (602) 682-4000

Bankruptcy Trustee:

Lawrence J. Warfield
    P.O. Box 14647
    Scottsdale, AZ 85267
    Phone: (480) 948-1711

I also recommend that you file a request with the ClerkÂs office to revoke the discharge. Please be sure to explain your specific experience including dates and all correspondence with Buycabinets.com and/or TheDirectCabinetSource.com. You may also want to mention the perception that Mr. Grace seems to have chosen to discharge all of his obligations with Buycabinets.com, only to continue "business as usual" with the new company, TheDirectCabinetSource.com. Also, please provide any information you may have that may suggest that Mr. Grace might have used and/or transferred assets to the new company, for which he is the "Senior Executive."

Please note, you can now correspond with the Whistleblower at watch-bird@hotmail.com. All emails sent to this address will be forwarded directly to the Whistleblower.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

bump

• tojail4trevorg
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear that empty kitchen. It just pains me to think about how many people got screwed in this whole deal and all the ramifications it has. I wanted to give Trevor Grace & BC the benefit of the doubt and think they just fell on hard times, but with everything I've now read and that fact that he is an Executive at DCS, doing the same thing has convinced me otherwise.
    Regarding KraftMaid...is there something special about KM that you have to go back to them for your order (seeming as how they wouldn't help you at all). Have you looked into any other options?
    I wish you all the best in getting your kitchen done and moving past all of this!

• kompy
    15 years ago

It's sad that many people lost their deposits to BC. But I don't think Kraftmaid should be expected to help out. People are ripped off every day. If KM opened up this can of worms, then they'd have to start a whole new legal department to verify claims and manage the process. I can see fraud happening too. People could work in cahoots. For example, Buddy builder takes money from Buddy homeowner...homeowner makes claim. Builder gets $10K. Homeowner gets a kitchen at cost.

I just don't know what KM could've done to help except to make sure all their dealers have good credit and aren't behind on payments.

• starpooh
    15 years ago

bump

• wifeygirl
    15 years ago

bump
    Can't wait to hear what happens at the hearing on March 23rd!

• wingnut211_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

As most of you know, the Meeting of Creditors (for the Buycabinets.com Bankruptcy) will be held at 1:30 PM on Monday, March 23, 2009 at the following location:

Flagstaff, AZ 86001

I have submitted a list of questions to the Trustee, who has agreed to present them to the Debtor at this meeting. Also, I am compiling a list of additional questions, which I hope to submit to the Trustee by the end of this week. I would be glad to include any additional questions that Creditors may have. So, please send any questions that you would like me to include to watch-bird@hotmail.com.

Also, it is my understanding that this meeting is not an adversarial forum. So I recommend that all of you who plan on attending have your questions prepared, and realize that the Debtor cannot be cross-examined as to why he chose to file for bankruptcy.

The Trustee will determine the appropriateness of the questions. So, I also recommend that the questions relate to the schedules and statements filed by the Debtor as well as assets listed or not listed. Questions relating to the use and/or transference of assets as well as the DebtorÂs connection to and/or financial interest in TheDirectCabinetSource.com should be productive as well.

If anyone planning on attending this meeting would like to meet with fellow Creditors (and other concerned citizens) prior and/or after the meeting, please send your comments or suggestions to watch-bird@hotmail.com.

Whistleblower

• pebbleslew
    15 years ago

As for Kraftmaid being responsible for part of this, they are. We went to Kraftmaid website and found our order, it said shipped, so we figured it was all good. So we thought we were in the clear, but we weren't, their website is very deceiving. So yes they should help out because if you check their website they say its ordered and shipped. They can track your order because they automatically generate this on all orders, once the order is placed. We found someone who help us out at his expense. He didn't lose money but didn't make what he would of on a normal order. We are waiting for our cabinets, they are to be here in a week.

Worst part of this, this was a job for us not ours so not only did we lose $16,000 we delayed a home for some people 2 extra months. So yes Kraftmaid is responsible.

• ponderosapine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

GOOD NEWS!

The Trustee reported that he now holds funds of the bankruptcy estate or expects to receive funds, which should result in a dividend to creditors who were previously instructed not to file claims!

A hearing regarding these funds has been scheduled for May 8, 2009 at 9:00 AM at the following location:

United States Bankruptcy Court
    3001 North Main Street, Suite 2-E
    Prescott Valley, Arizona

The Trustee requested that the Court fix the last date for filing proofs of claim and that notice be given to creditors.

Whistleblower - watch-bird@hotmail.com

• ponderosapine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ATTENTION ! IMPORTANT SCHEDULE CHANGE !

The Meeting of Creditors, for the Buycabinets.com Bankruptcy, scheduled for 1:30 PM on Monday, March 23, 2009 HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR 3:00 PM:

Flagstaff, AZ 86001

The reason for this schedule change is due to numerous inquiries about this case. It is my understanding that the Trustee has around 40 cases to hear that day. So, by rescheduling at the end of the day there will be more time to examine Mr. Grace under oath.

I have submitted over 30 questions for the Trustee to present to Mr. Grace. Please email me if you would like a copy of these questions.

Whistleblower - watch-bird@hotmail.com