SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

Question for today 4/21

15 years ago

What type of swap would you be likely to join here at Garden Web? A block swap, where we all make a curtain number of theme blocks send to a host and they get swapped out, or any of these direct swaps where they go right to the recipient, a "gift" box swap much like our summer time fun or Secret Santa, fat quarters and a little homemade gift, a tote swap, or I'm not interested in swapping at all?

DO you have a suggestion for a swap?

I would be interested and willing to host any of the above swaps here at Garden Web.

Vicky

Comments (21)

• 15 years ago

I would participate in the gift box swaps i.e. the summer theme or Secret Santa. Last years, "Christmas in July" was fun.

• 15 years ago

I've done them all, hosted the FQ swaps, and enjoyed them all. Right now I've got enough UFOs to last me a while and I do want to finish them, so I'm not planning to do much swapping.

However, I would like to do another holiday swap that was limited to maybe 3 items: chocolate, a notion, one FQ or something similar (and I would prefer not to swap holiday themed fabric). Or a one-time block swap that we would then add other blocks to make a small wall quilt. Or maybe a dish towel swap - embroider or applique a purchased dish towel? I'm *into* kitchen towels at the moment - LOL!

Teresa

• 15 years ago

I really like Theresa's idea of a kitchen towel swap.
    Or maybe a miniature block swap or fabric post card swap?

I'm digging out of a pile of UFOs myself.

Dianne

• 15 years ago

I'm not interested in swapping at all?
    Red

• 15 years ago

I would be interested in a 4 patch block swap
    using 21/2 inch sqs.
    Mayme

• 15 years ago

If I swapped, it would most likely be a direct swap.

SharonG/FL

• 15 years ago

I'm out of doing swaps right now and for awhile. With schooling 2 kids, and a baby into everything, and all my other projects, swaps add too much to my shoulders.

• 15 years ago

Not exactly what you asked but.......as a somewhat new participant on this forum, I would find it helpful if the different ongoing swaps, activities, and fun things you all do were listed in one place with a very brief description. Perhaps listing in the FAQ sections - I would be interested in participating more, but would like to understand the options and commitments.
    I do appreciate the work involved in organizing these events; I just do not understand what is available for me to join.
    Thank you

• 15 years ago

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now with projects, job, life, garden, etc so not interested in doing a swap. But, I am interested in doing a Round Robin sometime later this summer when it's too hot to be in the garden. If we could get a group of 4 or 5 interested in that I would like to participate. Maybe start it in June and plan to be finished by Christmas?

Kate

• 15 years ago

I enjoy hearing about the swaps and the birthday blocks, but I am too busy right now to join.
    Summer is our 'birthday parade' (LOL) in my fam and I am having visitors for the Onion Festival and we plan some trips also.
    I have been volunteering way too much and I have slowed down, but I also quilt for charities and knit prayer shawls.
    Rosa

• 15 years ago

Being new to the forum and quilting I have participated in one swap, the block of the month. I really enjoyed it but I haven't been able to take part in other ones.

I would love a postcard swap or towel swap, and the secret Santa swap sounds like a lot of fun. I do agree with magotherivergirl's post...it would be great to have all the swaps listed so I can see what each one is and what is involved. I don't know if that can be done but for us newbie's it sure would be nice. I always see the "birthday swap" post and I've wondered how that one works, the participants always sound like they are having lots of fun and it's nice to get something from your fellow quilters on your birthday.

Anyway, thanks for asking this question Vicki. I love your spirit and your thoughtfullness regarding this forum.

Susan

• 15 years ago

I generally prefer fabric swaps. Size doesnÂt really matter to me: fat quarters, strips, nickel squares, I Spy, etc. I generally participate in as many of these kinds of swaps as I can. I would participate in a 4-patch swap. I also really enjoy the Birthday swap.

IÂm less interested in swaps where we all make a certain theme or square, but I did enjoy the boy block swap.

This was not a swap, but I liked sending a few squares to Mary C when she organized and made some QOV from the forum. I would be happy to contribute to group quilts for charities from time to time.

• 15 years ago

Ah, thanks Lola99! I thoroughly enjoyed working with all the blocks members sent in.

My Quilts of Valor contributions have been down - just two in the last 6 months - due to DH's medical problems, but I hope to get back to contributing soon.

As for the swap question, I usually don't. I did participate in the very first Christmas block swap many years ago. I don't feel able to do the birthday block swaps, because of DH's medical issues. I would hate to commit, and not be able to fulfill the obligation.

• 15 years ago

I've participated in 2 swaps of I Spy fabric squares with hostess collecting and redistributing. That was fun and a good way to get lots of specific use squares. I was in a birthday block swap one year. Our group totally fell apart (many vanished before long before e-o-y) so having a December birthday I got about half of number I sent and some of ones I received were thanks to someone else outside the group kindly making one. Wouldn't participate in another on GW QF. I would join a fat quarter swap (with hostess) if the fabric selection was of interest. Worst case would be that I'd get back my own fabrics and would only cost two-way postage.

• 15 years ago

I love swaps....but being new, I've only participated in this year's birthday blocks, a couple of fabric swaps, and now the paper-pieced lotto block. I haven't noticed many other swaps going on, other than the Christmas one and I was unable to participate.

I probably won't know ahead of time which swaps I would participate in. It would depend on timing, my interest in the "theme", etc.

But I also would LOVE to contribute blocks for charity quilts. Actually, my original intent for getting back into quilting was to contribute blocks or quilt tops to guilds to put together for charity.....except I don't know of any guilds!! LOL.

Salijo

• 15 years ago

I love making blocks and different items to share. Thus I have enjoyed the BD block exchanges, Christmas in July, and Secret Santa. I was part of a FQ exchange but as my stash is pretty big already and I have my share of UFO's I prefer the personal exchanges. I would be interested in making blocks to go to charities if someone else quilts them, love the piecing process. A table runner exchange would be fun, what about potholders or candle mats? Jayne

• 15 years ago

I too have to agree with itsmesuzq...we newbies could use some instructions or info on what goes on with the forum...right now I feel blind...if you know what I mean...

• 15 years ago

nana - I'm sympathetic and want to be helpful, but I'm not sure what you mean. What do you want to know about the forum? We'll be happy to answer any questions. The instructions for the lottos are in the first posting for each month's lotto. The instructions for each challenge are in the first posting for the challenge. Same for swaps. Other than that, the forum is just here for us to share information, help us celebrate quilting successes and laugh together over the not-so-successful projects!

Kate

• 15 years ago

If I were to swap I would prefer direct swaps.

• 15 years ago

I couldn't participate until early fall, but I'd like to try a swap where one person swaps one finished block with only one other person. One block to make and mail, and one block to received.

By only making one block, there would be more time and mental energy to try to make it really shine. It could be pieced, appliquéd, embellished, or plain. I'd probably make a fancy Sunbonnet Sue or Parasol Lady.

I'm also slow with many remodeling projects and on-going health issues, so I would need lots of lead time before I could commit to participate.

• 15 years ago

I enjoy the swaps. As a newbie, to quilting in general, I'm still trying to learn as much as I can. I don't have a lot of fabric yet (not too impressive a stash), so I rarely participate in the fabric swaps . . . except several of the I Spy ones. I really like those. I Spy quilts are always useful to make, and the fabrics are easy to find for swaps.

I enjoy the Block Lotto (when I have time to enter) and am in my second year of the Birthday Block Swaps. I'm not a great piecer yet, but I am working on it and really enjoy the variety of blocks I that these 2 swaps allow. I also like the idea of making a block for someone else, that will become part of a quilt of theirs.

I have participated in a couple of the direct swaps as well - Secret Santa, Christmas in July. These are lots of fun too, but I sometimes feel badly that, living in Canada, the postage costs more to send to me.

I also really liked the pincushion swap - it was a challenge as I had never made a pincushion before - and it was loads of fun to see the photos afterwards, to see what everyone came up with!

I like the swaps that are organized on this forum. The block ones allow us to experiment with patterns, styles and colours that we otherwise might never make for ourselves. They challenge us to learn new things. And the gift box ones are a lot of fun, and the threads where everyone talks a bit about themselves help us get to know each other a little better!

I also really like the Challenges that are held on the forum every once in a while. It doesn't fall into the "swap" category, but I thought I'd mention it anyways. It amazes me to see the creativity of some of the members here, and I've always wanted to participate.

Time is the biggest factor when I don't participate in something, it is hard to find the time to get everything done!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES