SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
busyredhed

What is this???

busyredhed
15 years ago

I have been dealing with round light gray to brown spots in my pool for about 2 weeks now. They began to appear just a few. One very dark one on one end of my pool. We tried brushing them off with no luck. I used sand paper that I use for my calcium, and it took the calcium off, but the one spot got darker. I then headed off the Leslies and they told me to do a vitamin C test, which I did with no luck, so Leslie's told me this would show that it wasn't metal. I then posted on troublefree pool, posted the same picture below and was told that it didn't look like algae, but it could be. I headed back to Leslie's who told me to shock the pool, add chlorine to bring up my levels for 24 hours and then they had me add "black algaecide" to the water. My pool builder told me to do the same thing. I have been brushing 4-5 times per day with my wire pool brush and have even brushed quite a bit of calcium off, but my spots have not changed. Actually, we are getting more. They are mostly on the botton with only about 3 or 4 on the walls of my pool. They look gray when they are new and a medium brownish red when they get more prominent. My hubby is calling the pool builder today, because we are extremely concerned and he wants him to come out here personally and look at this. It's been a week since we put the algaecide and Leslie's tells me that I should have noticed a huge difference by now. Is the Ascorbic acid test iron clad?? Could it still be metals??? Could it be a problem with our Pebble Fina finish???

I have always been on top of my chemicals. I check every day and the only thing I need to add is Acid, phosfree maintenance and Jack's Magic Purple Stuff(sequestering agent). I know that my CYA is 40 right now, but Leslie's tells me not to add anything until my problem is diagnosed and taken care of. Any help would be appreciated.

This is my darkest spot. It has gotten darker and turned brown with a hint of orange. It has not gotten bigger, just darker.

Comments (17)