SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickevette

Please post pics of your honed or leathered Antique Brown

vickevette
12 years ago

My favorite inspiration kitchen (see link below) has creamy white perimeter cabinets, a dark walnut island, and honed Calacatta marble. I love the look, but fear the issues with patina on the marble. My island will be mostly for seating, and not for kitchen prep, so I am comfortable going with honed Calacatta on the island, and will use it as a backsplash on the perimeter. I am thnking of using a more durable, and darker stone on the perimeter countertops. I want something that will not etch. I think a black stone (Absolute Black, for instance), would perhaps be too stark for the otherwise creamy/brown palette. Plus reading that I have done here helped me discover that honed AB has huge maintenance issues, with fingerprints, etc.

I think a brownish or charcoal-grey stone would go best with the Calacatta, and am looking for options. (Research has told me that engineered products are not for me, and I am not fond of quartzite.) Soapstone is a possibility, but I would like to consider other options that might work better in terms of color and have less risk of scratching. I began thinking about honed granite--and was surprised to hear that the Absolute Black honed is a maintenance headache.

I have polished Antique Brown granite in a vacation home and really love the looks of it, but I am always glad I do not have to live with it on a daily basis, because I spend lots of time polishing fingerprints, water-stains, etc. I am wondering if Antique Brown honed would show oily prints/stains just as Absolute Black is said to do, or how it would be with a leathered surface--both in terms of looks and maintenance?

Anyone have any pictures of honed or leathered Antique Brown? How about soapstone and Calacatta in the same kitchen? Or Calacatta with any dark, uniform granite?

Advice? I wonder if the texture of soapstone (some veining and a flat matte finish) would match better with that of the Calacatta, than would the crystalline pattern of the Antique Brown? I also wonder if the leathered finish would look too rustic in a kitchen that otherwise looks very formal? Help, please..

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)