SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariannese

What is this thing called?

mariannese
10 years ago

I am Swedish and I dabble in translation. I need a good English word for the piece of fabric, embroidered on older specimens, with printed patterns on later ones, often with a kitchen motif or seasonal like Christmas pictures. It is hung on a towel-rail to hide kitchen towels. It is common in country homes in Europe and now back in fashion in the shabby chic style. The French call it a cache-tourchons (towel cover), we Swedes call it a parade towel in literal translation. There are lexical translations or explanations like towel-rail cover but I wonder if there is some common term for this thing? I saw a comment by an American man on an English language site that towel-rail cover is not selfexplanatory which I thought it was?

I collect these hangings and even have a beautifully embroidered one that I bought for 25 cents in a second-hand store in Madison, WI. The text is in German so it may have been brought from the old country.

The photo shows one of my latest finds in my kitchen. The style of the lettering shows that it was made some time between 1900 and 1920. Can you help with a good term?

Marianne in Sweden

Comments (21)