SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinahollywood

Floating the Floor before or after Cabinets???

tinahollywood
16 years ago

Dear Friends in the Forum,

I hope someone can shed some light on this contractor/tile installation question. My GC is doing everything in my reno except the floor, counters and backsplash. I've hired an outside Tile Guy for that part.

Well, my Tile Guy looked at the site for the first time today and was not thrilled at the condition of my existing floor (it's the old wood that was under the vinyl tile, a bit ragged and patched in places).

Anywhoo, the Tile Guy is insisting that the cabinets be installed before he floats the floor. He's afraid that if the cabinet installers will damage the float due to the 'not great' condition the floor.

Well, the GC seemed appalled by this plan saying he had only installed cabinets on floated floor. His biggest fear seemed to be that the Tile Guy would damage the cabinets when he does the float -- which would be the tile guy's problem, not the GC's problem.

I don't know what to make of this. Having the float go wall-to-wall seems "cleaner" to me, but the Tile Guy is pretty adamant about the possibility of cracking and he says it doesn't make a bit of difference to the installation. (The dishwasher and fridge were a separate issue but there was an additional "float" he'd do for those...)

Any thoughts on this? Hope I've made sense!

And thank you in advance for your opinions.

Tina

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor